A clown 🤡
Jan 2, 2023
Sometimes i get a feeling that i think could be partly explained with the word 'sehnsucht', i have a certain longing + nostalgia for an ideal 'life'/'reality', which can sometimes be triggered by certain things like music, video games, certain audiovisual works or even some characters. This may be because those 'triggers' have some similar characteristics to what my ideal 'reality' would be like or because they enhance my imagination or something like that. It is somewhat addictive because partly there is like a very nice and beautiful feeling when thinking/fantasizing how that ideal 'reality' would be but also partly there is a very intense emotional pain that sometimes can even be felt physically, maybe partly because my current situation/reality is quite far from that. Does anyone experience something similar?

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: hi-okbye and melancholia_melodia
Sleeper System

Sleeper System

Z z Z z Z z Z z Z z Z
May 5, 2022
I imagine all the things I'd do if I were rich. Realizing it will never happen because of the reality...
Makes me sad and it creates the internal pain that makes me depressed.

partymonster

partymonster

Nov 25, 2023
This thing happen to me all the time, I didn't Know there's name for it. Thank you 😊

It's like when you wake up from a beautiful dream and reality hits you.

• Love
Reactions: 0000000000000
Abyssal

Abyssal

Kill me
Nov 26, 2023
Maladaptive daydreaming disorder maybe? I'm the same way, but I find it's one of few things that has kept me alive this long. They say excessive daydreaming is a defense mechanism that protects us from the harshness/pain of reality. Do what you like with that information, I personally use it to go on jogs and stay semi-fit because walking triggers my daydreams, it's the one way I can convince myself that it's not a bad thing.

• Hugs
Reactions: hi-okbye
melancholia_melodia

melancholia_melodia

Nov 29, 2023
Me too, you've described exactly how I've always felt. When I read books and watch movies and see the lives of my favorite fictional characters, I get melancholy. Music about romance and friendships also triggers this feeling in me. It is a very bittersweet emotion that comes over me every day.

hi-okbye

hi-okbye

7.7.2023<3
May 5, 2023
while i don't necessarily experience the same thing, i can understand how you feel.

since someone mentioned dreams i think i get it more though. sometimes i have dreams of a more ideal place, mostly dreams of my partner being alive. and just us having casual conversation. then i wake up and i get hit with the realization that he's not there anymore..

Maladaptive daydreaming disorder maybe? I'm the same way, but I find it's one of few things that has kept me alive this long. They say excessive daydreaming is a defense mechanism that protects us from the harshness/pain of reality. Do what you like with that information, I personally use it to go on jogs and stay semi-fit because walking triggers my daydreams, it's the one way I can convince myself that it's not a bad thing.
i used to do this. it went throughout my entire childhood until i was around 11-12 years old. i believe i started it due to the trauma i had experienced as a young child. i had to stop it myself, although it made me very sad. i had a specific daydream world that went on for 3 years straight, it was too much, it took up too much of my day, constantly distracted me, and wasn't healthy. it was very saddening to let go of these characters that i spent years with. it was my life but i did it for the better and i think i'm glad i did.

• Hugs
Reactions: 0000000000000
Abyssal

Abyssal

Kill me
Nov 26, 2023
i used to do this. it went throughout my entire childhood until i was around 11-12 years old. i believe i started it due to the trauma i had experienced as a young child. i had to stop it myself, although it made me very sad. i had a specific daydream world that went on for 3 years straight, it was too much, it took up too much of my day, constantly distracted me, and wasn't healthy. it was very saddening to let go of these characters that i spent years with. it was my life but i did it for the better and i think i'm glad i did.
Yeah, I'm about 6 years in on my current one haha. It used to be really bad, but I've found Zoloft has made it rather controllable. Still there, but I do it on my own when I want to rather than compulsively. Mad respect for quitting, though. You are strong as hell.

hi-okbye

hi-okbye

7.7.2023<3
May 5, 2023
Yeah, I'm about 6 years in on my current one haha. It used to be really bad, but I've found Zoloft has made it rather controllable. Still there, but I do it on my own when I want to rather than compulsively. Mad respect for quitting, though. You are strong as hell.
damn 6 years is long, that's actually kind of cool. oh intresting, i was on zoloft for 10 months, but that was after i stopped it. glad it helped a little bit.
thank you though. it took a lot of effort and lots of work. part of what helped though was that i basically finished the story. i went into every intresting topic, went over good ones again and again, sometimes i would even act them out. it was just disrupting a lot of my life, and i basically had to. i'm supprised i was able to, but honestly once your out of the sort of "pattern" or "flow" of it, you kind of just loose interest and it becomes easier from there.

i'm a bit currious about yours, 6 years is a long time. if your okay with telling me about it my pm's are open. even if you don't want to talk about yours specifically if you ever want someone to relate to i'm here.
it's not very common you find another person who gets it lol.

• Love
Reactions: Abyssal

A clown 🤡
Jan 2, 2023
I imagine all the things I'd do if I were rich. Realizing it will never happen because of the reality...
Makes me sad and it creates the internal pain that makes me depressed.

I think one of the things i long for is to have genuine connections with someone, with people who are highly empathetic and compassionate, who have a high level of curiosity, and who are not closed-minded. Being able to talk about anything without being criticized, having mutual support, having a high level of social cohesion, that the members of the 'group' are willing to help someone even if that entails a sacrifice for the person/people helping. It doesn't matter if the person is a man, a woman, someone with dark skin, a trans person, asexual, or anyone as long as they have similar characteristics to those i mentioned above.

Note: I think this verbalization does not communicate very well what i have in mind, it may even sound like a whimsical list to some, sorry if it seems something like that but i have a hard time verbalizing well what i have in mind.

Last edited: