• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Obviously, I'm not generalising for this to apply to everyone. I just find it interesting really that, some of the kindest, most compassionate, caring, giving and generous people I've known (attributes we might call being a 'good Christian') have been atheists! While on the other hand, I've been shocked by how some (not all obviously) religious people have behaved.

Have you had this experience at all? Talking to atheists, I've gotten the sense they have behaved in such a 'good', kind way because their faith is in humans, rather than a separate entity. They seemed more of the opinion that we all have to help one another because- that's all we've got. Same applies to the lack of afterlife. That we need to make the most of this life perhaps because it's probably all we have.

I suppose it touches on altruism. Why are we nice to each other? Do we actually do it for our own good at the end of the day? That whole saying: 'There's no such thing as an altruistic act.' I suppose, with religious people, the cynic in me wonders if they are sometimes trying to earn brownie points with God.

It is actually fascinating at my parents church that there are all sorts of 'office politics' going on with newer members trying to monopolize certain duties and push others out. There seems to be all this bad feeling which is so bizarre to me when you consider these are supposed to be religious people!

Then, it kind of astounds me the level of kindness I've witnessed in other people who don't have any faith. Is it really because it makes them feel good to give so much of their time to help others? I just find it interesting really. I've always warmed to atheists. I actually wish I was one through and through.

Plus, if there really is a God and heaven and all that and, they've been rejected because they weren't part of the fan club, I'm going to be utterly appalled. Not that it makes any difference what I think but- that would objectively have to be so shit wouldn't it?

• Love
Reactions: heavyeyes, Alexei_Kirillov, wCvML2 and 4 others
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
No. Most of the devout atheists I've met in real life have been total assholes, though that mainly just includes my dad. He used to beat my mom just for taking us to church even though she was pretty religious ever since before they met.

That said I've met a good amount of overly judgmental and hypocritical Christians too although I've also met just as many stereotypically nice ones like people would imagine.

I should note this is only for people whose religion I know of for sure. There are plenty of people I've met who I had no idea what their actual beliefs are because it never came up in conversation and they were of varying levels of nice or not nice.

Reactions: Alexei_Kirillov, Praestat_Mori and Forever Sleep
untothedepths

untothedepths

I am falling I am fading I have lost it all
Mar 20, 2023
You find 'choice' people on either side, but for me I tend to find Christians judgemental against people who are doing nothing but living lives in a different manner and are not harming anyone. If you live in the USA, you'll notice a trend of Christian Nationalism that is worrisome.

Reactions: heavyeyes, Forever Sleep and Praestat_Mori
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
All fair points.

Sometimes people are drawn to religions in the hope of improving their behaviour. However, religion also offers a 'moral high ground' cloak to hide behind. In the more hardline sects, the hidden culture is utterly heinous.

I had a very bad experience dealing with certain Catholic educational institutions, though also have fond memories of the humble local Catholic parish as a child.

Many people in the Western world seem to feel that atheist and Christian are the only two options in the universe. There are aggressively evangelical people on both sides, yet also a number of empathic and well-intentioned people too.

On the whole, I am not able to correlate any particular belief system with respectful and sincere people. On the whole, today's mainstream political culture of aggression and victimhood is not conducive to bringing out the best in people.

• Love
Reactions: heavyeyes and Forever Sleep
V

vaqueero

Jul 18, 2024
I happen to be an athiest so I tend to hang out with other atheists who are all good, kind and generous because those are the people I like. I don't think anyone, religious or not, holds a monopoly on morality. I'm an atheist because I just never took my Christian upbringing to be anymore than singing in the choir and cookies after Sunday school. I have no issues with anyone of sincere faith. I do have issues with anyone wanting power and influence over what other people do with their own body.

Reactions: heavyeyes