sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
My social anxiety has worsened over the years to the point that even just seeing people or going outside makes me nervous and anxious. When other people are in the elevator, my hands sweat and my heart races. Any ideas on how to mitigate this anxiety?

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Rocinante, Misery99, corazon and 10 others
M

Mrpickles

Sep 29, 2023
My social anxiety has worsened over the years to the point that even just seeing people in person makes me nervous and anxious. When other people are in the elevator, my hands sweat and my heart races. Any ideas on how to mitigate this anxiety?
Have you tried grounding techniques? I thought it was all a bunch of BS but was kind of shocked how it made a difference in some situations. It's not the cure-all by any means. But it does something.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori, carac and sserafim
TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Visionary
Aug 27, 2018
Well I get prescribed Pregabalin which I thinks helps a lot with general anxiety and must have helped with social anxiety since it was pretty bad at one point but not as much now still not in the normal range but differently better.

Reactions: fkyou, Praestat_Mori and sserafim
sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
Have you tried grounding techniques? I thought it was all a bunch of BS but was kind of shocked how it made a difference in some situations. It's not the cure-all by any means. But it does something.
No, I haven't. Do you have any that you recommend?
Well I get prescribed Pregabalin which I thinks helps a lot with general anxiety and must have helped with social anxiety since it was pretty bad at one point but not as much now still not in the normal range but differently better.
Lol I used to take buspar and propranolol for it back in the day (like 5+ years ago) but I stopped bc I wanted to try to manage the anxiety by myself. It's gotten a lot worse tho, I think quarantine was a factor in it. I grew used to not having to see or interact with people anymore, and I enjoyed it. Ugh I wish I could've stayed in lockdown/ isolation forever. That was my comfort zone

• Hugs
Reactions: Rocinante, kitty_kat, Praestat_Mori and 1 other person
TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Visionary
Aug 27, 2018

Lol I used to take buspar and propranolol for it back in the day (like 5+ years ago) but I stopped bc I wanted to try to manage the anxiety by myself. It's gotten a lot worse tho, I think quarantine was a factor in it. I grew used to not having to see or interact with people anymore, and I enjoyed it. Ugh I wish I could've stayed in lockdown/ isolation forever. That was my comfort zone
It was comfortable. Since I am a nobody with no job and just spending most the time in my room I did like that everyone did the same we were on a more equal level almost like back in school not quite but somewhat.

I have been thinking of trying buspar recently but haven´t gotten around to ask for it. And also considered trying to handle my anxiety alone since it sucks having to be reliant on drugs.

Reactions: sserafim
Blue Elephant

Blue Elephant

Mage
Sep 22, 2023
My social anxiety has worsened over the years to the point that even just seeing people or going outside makes me nervous and anxious. When other people are in the elevator, my hands sweat and my heart races. Any ideas on how to mitigate this anxiety?
Why? Why are nervous and anxious? Do you think they will do something to you?

sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
It was comfortable. Since I am a nobody with no job and just spending most the time in my room I did like that everyone did the same we were on a more equal level almost like back in school not quite but somewhat.

I have been thinking of trying buspar recently but haven´t gotten around to ask for it. And also considered trying to handle my anxiety alone since it sucks having to be reliant on drugs.
Yeah it was. I did online classes and it was so nice to not have to see people in person. I hate how everything went back to in person so quickly. My college went back to in-person even technically still during the pandemic
Why? Why are nervous and anxious? Do you think they will do something to you?
Idk, I think I associate people with danger. I was bullied in middle school so this is probably due to trauma and ptsd from it or something. Nothing good has ever come out of my interactions with people anyways, so I think I've come to believe that people are dangerous

Reactions: Rocinante
M

Mrpickles

Sep 29, 2023
My social anxiety has worsened over the years to the point that even just seeing people in person makes me nervous and anxious. When other people are in the elevator, my hands sweat and my heart races. Any ideas on how to mitigate this anxiety?

It largely depends on where I'm at. But I'll focus on things I can see, touch, smell, hear, etc. I know it sounds weird, I think psychologically it just switches on different parts of the brain to shift your mind away from the anxiety. Probably something to do with focusing on your senses.

Not saying you have to go touch/smell random things lol. For example, if I'm in an elevator, I might look for the buttons, then, imagine what the button would feel like. Then I might notice the braile, then wonder what those bumps would feel like. I will listen for sounds like the dings the elevator makes, the noise of it moving, the person next to me wheezing? Again, it sounds really weird, but there's something to it. Next thing you know, ding, your floor, now you can get away from the people :D

LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
Lol I used to take buspar and propranolol for it back in the day (like 5+ years ago) but I stopped bc I wanted to try to manage the anxiety by myself.
Do you think it's worth going back on the meds?

carac

carac

"and if this is the end, i am glad i met you."
May 27, 2023
I know one grounding technique is to carry a stone in your pocket that's special to you and when you feel anxious to hold it.

• Informative
Reactions: fkyou, Mad World and sserafim
sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
M

Mrpickles

Sep 29, 2023
Maybe? But like @TheGoodGuy said, I don't want to be reliant on meds either.
It's obviously your life and your choice. But I wouldn't count out meds being an option entirely. Until we can hack the neural pathways of the brain (safely), sometimes there's no fixing it without. I was adamantly against meds up until about 2 years ago. I wish I had gone on them sooner. They don't work overnight or fix everything, but it has made things a little easier/manageable. But I totally get not wanting to be on them, they can sometimes make things worse. It was the last resort option for me.

LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
Maybe? But like @TheGoodGuy said, I don't want to be reliant on meds either.
Buscar and propranolol don't pose the same dangers of dependence like benzos.

But I get where you're coming from.

My social anxiety has ruined my life and meds and treatment don't really work for it. It's either of learning to deal with it on your own or not (my case being "not").

But if you just feel bad about taking them because it makes you feel defective or weak, medications are just tools like any other people have been using since forever. Why take a car if you can get there by walking? Why use a phone if you can send a letter? Because it makes things easier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Misery99 and sserafim
Blue Elephant

Blue Elephant

Mage
Sep 22, 2023
But if you just feel bad about taking them because it makes you feel defective or weak, medications are just tools like any other people have been using since forever. Why take a car if you can get there by walking? Why use a phone if you can send a letter? Because it makes things easier.
Oh on no no no no! Meds are a completely different thing! A car or a phone don't change your body chemistry, meds can physically or psychologically cripple you and while you can stop using a car or phone whenever you want to, it's a differenty story with some meds.

edit: I'm sorry, I'm aware that there are good meds too, I was just referring to the bad ones.

My post is more of a warning cry.

LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
Oh on no no no no! Meds are a completely different thing! A car or a phone don't change your body chemistry, meds can physically or psychologically cripple you and while you can stop using a car or phone whenever you want to, it's a differenty story with some meds.

edit: I'm sorry, I'm aware that there are good meds too, I was just referring to the bad ones.

My post is more of a warning cry.
I believe buspar and propranolol are some of the more benign ones.

I was mainly addressing the notion that medications in and of themselves are "wrong" to take, which is something a lot of people struggle with when it comes to psych medication.

Of course there are other valid reasons to not want to take medications. OP can make an informed decision not to if she wants.

Reactions: sserafim and Blue Elephant
hevlalab

hevlalab

Take me back in time
Sep 14, 2023
I can relate to you definitely. I have been isolating myself for 4 months now. I haven't seen any of my friends or even respond to their texts or calls. I only go out when i'm forced to by my family. I'm ashamed to go out and maybe bump into someone I know because of my situation so I stay in my house for days on end. I've only got propanalol and citolapram to help with my nerves and anxiety. For me, just a few months ago when I wasn't socially anxious but happy and confident, a lot of it was due to how I took pride in my appearance. I'm a young woman and recently turned 20. I liked going out, doing my hair and makeup but since I got depressed, I wasn't taking care of myself anymore. I wasn't showering for days or even brushing my teeth. I would eat like shit and not work out so my skin started breaking out like mad and I would get sick more easily because of my now weak immune system and health. I stopped looking and feeling like me. It's like I became a completely different girl. As a result I became shy, agitated and socially anxious.

Things are slightly better now though, I'm taking care of myself again slowly but surely. I care more about how I look now so that motivated me to wear makeup again so that when I go out I would feel less anxious and just that little bit more confident in myself. Being confident helps with social anxiety I think, I don't know your situation or how you feel about it but maybe having a makeover or even a new look, small or big, whether it be a haircut, hair colour change or new clothes may help alleviate your social anxiety to some extent? If you look good, you feel good is my motto lol :hug:

M

martinso67

All human rights are important
Feb 5, 2021
Do you think moving into a different state or a new country would solve it somewhat? Building a new life in a new environment that you like.

sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
It's obviously your life and your choice. But I wouldn't count out meds being an option entirely. Until we can hack the neural pathways of the brain (safely), sometimes there's no fixing it without. I was adamantly against meds up until about 2 years ago. I wish I had gone on them sooner. They don't work overnight or fix everything, but it has made things a little easier/manageable. But I totally get not wanting to be on them, they can sometimes make things worse. It was the last resort option for me.
Yeah, I think sometimes meds do fix things and make things easier. I'm off my ADHD meds rn (probably why my life is a mess and I can't do anything) and I feel like my life would be much better if I went on them again. I think that I'd actually have the motivation to do something with my life…

I'm not sure about anxiety meds tho bc I feel like anxiety can be managed but idk…

M

Mrpickles

Sep 29, 2023
Yeah, I think sometimes meds do fix things and make things easier. I'm off my ADHD meds rn (probably why my life is a mess and I can't do anything) and I feel like my life would be much better if I went on them again. I think that I'd actually have the motivation to do something with my life…

I'm not sure about anxiety meds tho bc I feel like anxiety can be managed but idk…
Everybody is different, but the game change for my son that has autism and ADHD was Adderall. Not a fan of having to give him something that extreme but it did wonders for his focus. It will also help with motivation, as it's essentially a clean government approved version of a street drug.

Reactions: fkyou and sserafim
PlathWannaBe

PlathWannaBe

Nov 15, 2019
I have social anxiety too, and I understand. I very often feel and act awkwardly around people. One of the best things that helped me was that I participated in group therapy with other people who also have social anxiety.

A lot of the therapy was based on exposure, so we would do different activities that helped us in our exposure.

If you feel too frightened to meet up with people in person, maybe you could find an online group? I truly do understand the fear, social anxiety sucks so bad 😥🤗

• Informative
Reactions: Blue Elephant, sserafim and SmollMushroom
sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
Everybody is different, but the game change for my son that has autism and ADHD was Adderall. Not a fan of having to give him something that extreme but it did wonders for his focus. It will also help with motivation, as it's essentially a clean government approved version of a street drug.
Yeah the issue is that I can't focus on anything. I used to take adderall but I stopped because I wanted to manage my ADHD without meds and not be reliant on them forever. I should probably go back on it though…idk I just don't want to be dependent on meds for the rest of my life. I wanted to develop coping strategies so I didn't need to take meds anymore but so far I've failed lol

SmollMushroom

SmollMushroom

send N pls
Sep 27, 2023
I'm using hanax and it's helping a bit. And by that I mean that you don't get that scary 'feeling' in the middle of your chest when you are anxious.
But to be honest I still hate staying in a crowded environment, I just care less after taking the meds.

Reactions: fkyou
G

garrypallister99

Aug 20, 2023
When I fast it goes away completely

M

Mrpickles

Sep 29, 2023
Yeah the issue is that I can't focus on anything. I used to take adderall but I stopped because I wanted to manage my ADHD without meds and not be reliant on them forever. I should probably go back on it though…idk I just don't want to be dependent on meds for the rest of my life. I wanted to develop coping strategies so I didn't need to take meds anymore but so far I've failed lol
Absolutely, if something can be done naturally, that's the healthiest way to do it. Which is why I put it as my last resort. Wishing you the best! 🙏