vipatherappa

vipatherappa

Student
Feb 28, 2023
I, as sure are many others on this forum, struggle with social anxiety.
Exposure/exposure therapy seems to be the most effective method of getting over it, because most people are agreeable and are open to having pleasant interactions whenever they happen.
The thing is, I don't know how to make my interactions with other people pleasant. I suck at making small talk and I'm always afraid I'll blurt out something cringe that'll make the conversation awkward. I feel like I can be a bit slow at processing and producing information orally; I feel a lot more comfortable talking to people on discord servers and forums than in real life, even though it still gives me some anxiety.
Does anyone have any advice for how to improve your social skills? I think a more general awareness of social cues and how to steer a conversation would help me (and I'm sure plenty otherrs) go expose themselves to their fear of social situations and overcome their anxiety.
Also, is there, like an online resource where socially anxious people can meet and talk to one another?

Reactions: D1byRam3n, Dangerdonkey333 and azukigirl
azukigirl

azukigirl

whip, step, jump! glitterific!!
Oct 24, 2023
hmm, i havent tried voluntary group therapy before but i think group therapy might be helpful, im pretty sure theres groups for specifically social anxiety, my psychologist talked about it briefly >_< i struggle with the same thing, so i know how lonely it can get when you have love to give for people but so much fear at the same time. sending care ♡♡

• Informative
Reactions: D1byRam3n, vipatherappa and Dangerdonkey333
Dangerdonkey333

Dangerdonkey333

Crann Bethadh
Nov 19, 2023
As someone with extreme social anxiety/awkwardness, the best way I've found to get better is by keeping it simple. Start with just 1 or 2 word replys. Yeah, you can be seen as "boring" at first. However, it allows others to talk more, and you can learn a lot from just listening to others speak. And with the worrying about saying soemthing cringe part, don't worry about it, everyone does it. Not every joke is going to land, not every comment is going to be profound. It will take time, and a lot of conversations, but I believe in you. ❤️

Reactions: idontknow99 and vipatherappa