Unsure and Useless

Unsure and Useless

Drifting Aimlessly without Roots
Feb 7, 2023
For the past few days, I've been dealing with sciatica. (I'm assuming it's sciatica based on how I have a dull pain radiating from my butt to my thigh.) At first, the most inconvenience it provided me was the fact that going down steep hills was painful, and I couldn't get up from bed as easily as I used to. Though, based on the title, it obviously got worse.

I have a very noticeable limp in my right leg because walking is extremely painful, yet laying down is just as painful, if not more so. Shifting from being on my back is a task I have to do very slowly or else I'll be in a world of hurt. (As of typing this, I'm currently stuck laying down on my left side.) I have to sit shifted to the left because any pressure on my right hurts. And I can't go to a doctor due to circumstances.

I'm trying to stick this out because, according to some research, the pain goes away after a few weeks, but it hurts so much.

Living in this body is agonizing. Every movement causes me suffering. I don't want to move.

• Love
  • Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Parsley, outrider567, Alldone and 3 others
$crim

$crim

skincarver
Feb 12, 2023
i struggle with sciatica as well, i completely understand the unbearable feeling.
the best way to combat the pain is working on stretches, like by sitting on the edge of a chair and bringing your leg up over the other, holding it as close to yourself as possible, then repeating the process for the other leg. its painful as hell at first, but after doing it for a few days i personally noticed a bit of an improvement when trying to get up and walk.
i would find myself hunched over almost comically far just to keep my nerve from being squished between my spine discs, but doing that helped quite a bit. maybe itll help with your limp as well!

• Love
Reactions: Unsure and Useless
L

lifeisbutadream

Warlock
Oct 4, 2018

Have you guys been to a doctor and gotten your back scanned, MRI'd? If that's your only major problem you shouldn't come straight to a place like this. I've been thru that and much more - and yes back pain often goes away, or at least gets much better, after a few weeks, and yes I know it's terrible. I'm no big fan of doctors but those dim-witted money hungry creatures can fix some things! I've been through all that.

Unsure and Useless

Unsure and Useless

Feb 7, 2023
Have you guys been to a doctor and gotten your back scanned, MRI'd?
I've had a lumbar scan before, but they simply said nothing was wrong.

If that's your only major problem you shouldn't come straight to a place like this.
Major problem as in the only issue I'm dealing with in life? While it is a problem, sciatica isn't a part of the problems. It's simply easier to cope with how I feel unloved by mostly everyone when my body isn't aching every step of the way.

Maybe it was a bit immature of me to immediately vent about my back/thigh pain on this site in particular when many of the people here dealt with worse, but I can't really talk to anyone about this. My acquaintances simply give me pitying looks while my family either says it's going to cost large amounts of money to get it fixed or claim they have to deal with worse and not go to a doctor. Regardless, I see where you're coming from.

I've been through all that.
I'm glad you recovered from this and more. Having sciatica is miserable already, so it's admirable seeing someone get better from this as well as other conditions.

• Love
Reactions: lifeisbutadream
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
It's not immature to want to vent about this, it's best to just take no notice of insensitive people, this is the one place where people can vent about what is causing them to suffer. But it certainly is so awful how this human body can torture people, it disgusts me how there is no limit as to how much pain we feel, but anyway best wishes

• Love
Reactions: TapeMachine and Unsure and Useless
Unsure and Useless

Unsure and Useless

Feb 7, 2023
the best way to combat the pain is working on stretches, like by sitting on the edge of a chair and bringing your leg up over the other, holding it as close to yourself as possible, then repeating the process for the other leg.
I've been trying to integrate stretching into my routine, and that method in particular is my favorite. I can do it anywhere as long as nobody's staring.

its painful as hell at first, but after doing it for a few days i personally noticed a bit of an improvement when trying to get up and walk.
It definitely is. Trying to do supine stretches on my "good leg" was it's own form of torture. However, I'm trying to see this through so that I can get better. (I realize belatedly that this definitely belonged on the recovery thread. My apologies.)

i would find myself hunched over almost comically far just to keep my nerve from being squished between my spine discs, but doing that helped quite a bit. maybe itll help with your limp as well!
I find myself bending back to avoid putting pressure on the nerve, but maybe hunching over is a better alternative! Bending back like a JoJo character is more odd than hunching over, I think.

• Love
Reactions: $crim
L

lifeisbutadream

Warlock
Oct 4, 2018
For the past few days, I've been dealing with sciatica. (I'm assuming it's sciatica based on how I have a dull pain radiating from my butt to my thigh.) At first, the most inconvenience it provided me was the fact that going down steep hills was painful, and I couldn't get up from bed as easily as I used to. Though, based on the title, it obviously got worse.

I have a very noticeable limp in my right leg because walking is extremely painful, yet laying down is just as painful, if not more so. Shifting from being on my back is a task I have to do very slowly or else I'll be in a world of hurt. (As of typing this, I'm currently stuck laying down on my left side.) I have to sit shifted to the left because any pressure on my right hurts. And I can't go to a doctor due to circumstances.

I'm trying to stick this out because, according to some research, the pain goes away after a few weeks, but it hurts so much.

Living in this body is agonizing. Every movement causes me suffering. I don't want to move.

I wasn't trying to be insensitive. I was just saying that back problems, horrible as they are, can often be helped, or they just get better on their own, tho probably never back to 100%. I've had about a million athletic injuries, and while my back is pretty good now I've got ...ah I'm sick of complaining...but I'm here so you can extrapolate.

"Trying to do supine stretches on my "good leg" was it's own form of torture."

Don't do the stretches when your back is in the acute phase, especially if it hurts! What I used to do was gentle toe touches, and i could do that in public by pretending to be messing with my shoelaces, but everybody is different. And again, don't do it if it hurts. In fact I - and many others - have injured myself, or injured myself worse, doing stretches. Personally I'm not a fan of stretching, but that gentle toe touch thing used to help my back when it was bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Unsure and Useless