S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
I've been going back and forth about quitting for a while. I love the work I do, and some of the people I work with. Unfortunately, there are three major issues:
  1. The culture is terrible. This wasn't apparent when I started, but I've seen it more and more lately. I call it "snitch culture." For some reason, everyone goes running to their bosses or directors about everything. There is a complete lack of camaraderie and trust. This hasn't affected me, but I just don't feel comfortable in the environment.
  2. The job went from being mostly remote - maybe going in once or twice a week unless there was a project - to nearly 100% on site. Projects that used to be done remotely are now scheduled in office for no reason. The new director has a major hard on for being in the office, even when it would be more productive to work from home. This is seriously hampering my travel plans. Now that most covid restrictions are lifted in the US, I want to travel again, go to concerts in other states. Can't do that when I'm expected to be in every day. And no, I don't blow off work when I travel. I do all my work, whether in my home state or at a beach in FL.
  3. I hate where the job is. It's about 3 hours away from my second residence, which I go to every weekend. I'm really tired of driving an extra 6 hours a week. The job is located in the middle of nowhere - all there is are a Walmart and Target in town. The nearest city with shopping and things to do is over an hour away.

I already let my boss know I was considering leaving. He asked me to think about it over the weekend. My boss is one of the coolest people I know, and I don't want to screw him over. I feel bad, because another senior person on our team is leaving too. That would leave him with only two junior team members. I'm giving three full weeks, so I can complete a major project, and not leave any loose ends.

Guess I'm lucky in that I have enough to last me this one final year, even if I choose not to work at all. But I do want to work and keep busy. I don't have a solid offer now, but I have several recruiters who said they would hire me on the spot for contract work. If nothing else comes up, I'll touch base with them about a week before my last day.

Sorry, there is no real point to this post other than sharing. Only thing I can say is while there are millions of job openings in the US, it is still ultra-competitive for good jobs.

Reactions: Caramelized, pixie, UseItOrLoseIt and 3 others