C

CatLove56

Experienced
Jun 30, 2018
I've been off work for a job injury so I've had the time to be looking at education programs specifically with IT and the more I do this in the more I start learning a little I get so angry with myself at the fact that I should have been doing this stuff when I was a teenager. It doesn't help that my sister made a lot of the better decisions as far as getting educated goes. I'm only 28 so I know my life isn't over but it's so frustrating that the past choices I made and I wish I could hold myself accountable.

End rant

• Hugs
Reactions: Forever Sleep and Praestat_Mori
Tesha

Tesha

Life too shall pass
May 31, 2020
Beginning of response to rant

You can hold yourself accountable, by changing your future and seeing what you can do to go back into education (you sound grounded enough to look at this).

Being angry with others is somewhat healthy and can have positive pay back. Being angry with yourself… well, that just makes you more angry.

Here endeth the rant response.

(But I totally sympathise with the shitty decisions we make when younger, not realising the impact they will have on us later on. Sorry to hear about your injury too).

Reactions: CatLove56 and Praestat_Mori
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
Don't be angry at yourself and if IT is what interests you now then do it. 28 is really not too old to start over again!

Reactions: Tesha
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I firmly believe we do what we can with what we have available at the time. Sometimes we just can't see the whole picture when we're young. Sometimes we go on the well intentioned but not so brilliant advice of other people. Sometimes we're just not well enough or strong enough to do the things we want to do.

I made a not so brilliant choice with my first degree. I tried to make a career out of it but, it didn't go at all well. I did a second degree aged 28. It was scary initially. I was a decade older than most people there but, there were other mature students too and thankfully, everyone was nice. It set me on a better path at least. Not entirely successful again but, there we go. We have to try things to know. I hope you do this- if it's what you want and, I hope it works out for you.

It was actually a deeply unpleasant experience I had meeting with an agent that ultimately set me on the better path. They basically told me what I already knew- that I wasn't good enough and my strengths lay elsewhere. Hurt like hell at the time but they were actually right and it shook me up enough to change. Sometimes good things can come out of bad experiences.

Please be kinder to yourself though. It's not a race. If people change courses and achieve their dream in later life, people don't really start saying they should have done it ealier. They think they're brave for chasing their dreams later in life. It would be great if we all knew what we were doing from the start but, that time's gone now. No point in crying over spilt milk- as they say. In a way, maybe the worse thing would be to not try at all- if you still want this thing. Good luck.

Reactions: CatLove56