E

ella

Jul 20, 2023
when i did the first test, it gave 2.0 ppm color. i wanted to know what 5.0ppm color looks, so i added more sn straight in the test tube. it immediately changed to 0ppm. shouldn't the ppm increase if i add more sn?

after i did the second and third test, it shows 0 ppm. is my SN fake? it is odd

edit : i used api nitrite test kit. anyone knows why it give me odd results?

Last edited:
E

ella

Jul 20, 2023
are you sure it said the purity was >95%?
yes, i even asked the seller, he said it is 98% pure.

the test kit is weird. the instructions said shake and wait for 5 mins. if I shake it, the sn turns green( 0 ppm), without shaking it turns purple, i can't tell the difference if it is 2.0 or 5.0 ppm. both shade of purple is very similar.

Upvote 0
L

lyfsoverrated

May 22, 2023
Is it nitrate???? Pretty sure thats what's on Amazon. You need nitrite with an I

Upvote 0
N

nom de guerre

Aug 22, 2023
I might be wrong. But I don't think sn is available thru amazon anymore? Sometimes they market nitrate as nitrite, even the media does this mistake in their reporting (not sure if intentional tho), despite blatant evidence to the contrary that it's SN that was ingested

Upvote 0
A

Anon7b8

Experienced
Aug 21, 2023
What kind of test kit did you get? I just got my SN but the test kit haven't arrived yet. It's the aquarium test kit kind as i've mostly seen those on other threads...

Upvote 0
E

ella

Jul 20, 2023
What kind of test kit did you get? I just got my SN but the test kit haven't arrived yet. It's the aquarium test kit kind as i've mostly seen those on other threads...
api nitrite test kit. i guess my sn is fake

Upvote 0
E

ella

Jul 20, 2023
It really is getting harder to get high purity sn these days...
every time i do the test, i get different results. i tested tap water, first i got purple, next test it was blue and now it is green.

Upvote 0
A

Anon7b8

Experienced
Aug 21, 2023
every time i do the test, i get different results. i tested tap water, first i got purple, next test it was blue and now it is green.
Everyone seems to say that you have to use distilled water? Have you tried changing to that?

Upvote 0
E

ella

Jul 20, 2023
i don't know about the tap water, but the answer is too much nitrite gives 0 ppm result. it has to be exactly 5mg/L or below. I just found the answer, my sn is good, thank you.

i used ro water. the result was 0 ppm all the time.

Upvote 0
A

Anon7b8

Experienced
Aug 21, 2023
Oh that's good to hear. Remember to keep the sn sealed.

• Love
Reactions: ella
Upvote 0
A

Anon7b8

Experienced
Aug 21, 2023
the pic is kind of blurry. but SN can be yellowish white or white, it may or may not be lumpy. I can't tell from the picture. sorry.

my sn is yellowish white and lumpy.
No problem thank you tho.

• Hugs
Reactions: ella
Upvote 0
R

rondooo

Sep 4, 2022
i don't know about the tap water, but the answer is too much nitrite gives 0 ppm result. it has to be exactly 5mg/L or below. I just found the answer, my sn is good, thank you.

i used ro water. the result was 0 ppm all the time.
Hi what type of water did you use to get a positive result

Upvote 0