Yavannah

Autistic & miserable
Jul 18, 2022
Hi guys
i've ordered SN and it was delivered when i was not at home
the status wasn't updated and i've expected it to arrive the other day
so it was in my mailbox for 8+ hours at 36 degrees
im pretty sure i can toss it in the trash now :(
should i wait the current heat wave to pass before im ordering again (next week its 40 degrees everyday where i live) or am i overthinking?
how heat sensitive is SN?

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: LastFlowers, Theanswer, Fthis and 1 other person
T

Theanswer

Experienced
Jun 26, 2022
Hi guys
i've ordered SN and it was delivered when i was not at home
the status wasn't updated and i've expected it to arrive the other day
so it was in my mailbox for 8+ hours at 36 degrees
im pretty sure i can toss it in the trash now :(
should i wait the current heat wave to pass (next week its 40 degrees everyday where i live) or am i overthinking?
how heat sensitive is SN?
Thanks for the post. I'm wondering the same thing. Mine is suppose to arrive today but I'm sure it's been in a truck for a few days.

Reactions: Yavannah
befree

befree

Time to do more enjoyable things _____Goodbye_____
Mar 22, 2022
The recommended storage temperature is 15-25 degrees celsius. I doubt that only 8 hours at 38 degrees will make the SN unusable. Before you use it you should do a blood test anyway.

Reactions: Sunset764, Yavannah and Theanswer
T

Theanswer

Experienced
Jun 26, 2022
The recommended storage temperature is 15-25 degrees celsius. I doubt that only 8 hours at 38 degrees will make the SN unusable. Before you use it you should do a blood test anyway.
But my meto package will have been in a truck for three days now. I plan on doing the test with blood if that's really adequate.
Mine just arrived and the bottle was warm. Cooled off after being inside for 5 minutes or so.

Last edited:
Yavannah

Yavannah

Autistic & miserable
Jul 18, 2022
But my meto package will have been in a truck for three days now. I plan on doing the test with blood if that's really adequate.
Mine just arrived and the bottle was warm. Cooled off after being inside for 5 minutes or so.
my bottle was warm too and it did not cool down for some time
i think im just going to order again..
i dont want to fail because of something like this
i think being in the hot sun for 8+ hours at 36 degrees does something to a chemical substance

Reactions: LastFlowers and Sunset764
Sittichmutter

Sittichmutter

Student
Sep 16, 2021
The temperatures in the truck are far higher than 36 degres Celcius.
I would throw everything away.

anaconda

anaconda

Banned Scammer
Jul 17, 2022
my bottle was warm too and it did not cool down for some time
i think im just going to order again..
i dont want to fail because of something like this
i think being in the hot sun for 8+ hours at 36 degrees does something to a chemical substance
I think it should be fine but the best thing to do is a blood test to make sure

Reactions: Theanswer, Sunset764 and Yavannah
befree

befree

Time to do more enjoyable things _____Goodbye_____
Mar 22, 2022
If you decide to order new SN, you should do it in fall or winter. If you order again in summer, the package will again be exposed to high temperatures during transport.

Reactions: LastFlowers
T

Theanswer

Experienced
Jun 26, 2022
This is so helpful, thanks, AliceTheGood. I called the vendor, agent said it was fine, customers never reported problems. But that says nothing so I emailed the people there who would know temperature degradation and will wait. But this helps a lot.

Reactions: Sunset764 and TheDoomedDoomer
Yavannah

Yavannah

Autistic & miserable
Jul 18, 2022
If you decide to order new SN, you should do it in fall or winter. If you order again in summer, the package will again be exposed to high temperatures during transport.
yea i know
its just my anxiety kicking in..
i dont want to fail :(
thank you for your help <3

Reactions: Sunset764, TheDoomedDoomer and Theanswer
T

Theanswer

Experienced
Jun 26, 2022
yea i know
its just my anxiety kicking in..
i dont want to fail :(
thank you for your help <3
I so hear you. Anxiety about not wanting to fail.
I just heard back from the vendor after my question being in a hot truck for several days, bottle was warm. Aligns with AliceTheGoon.

"The reaction of sodium nitrate has been investigated in some detail over a wide composition range. The thermal decomposition of sodium nitrate started at about 450 °C. (842 f), so I dare say that the sodium nitrate you received is in good shape.

All of our nitrate is 99+%"

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Sunset764 and Yavannah
pthnrdnojvsc

pthnrdnojvsc

Extreme Pain is much worse than people know
Aug 12, 2019
I so hear you. Anxiety about not wanting to fail.
I just heard back from the vendor after my question being in a hot truck for several days, bottle was warm. Aligns with AliceTheGoon.

"The reaction of sodium nitrate has been investigated in some detail over a wide composition range. The thermal decomposition of sodium nitrate started at about 450 °C. (842 f), so I dare say that the sodium nitrate you received is in good shape.

All of our nitrate is 99+%"
That's probably just a typo? But SN for ctb is Sodium Nitrite . Sodium Nitrate is a different substance useless for my purposes

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Unknown21, Sunset764, TheDoomedDoomer and 1 other person
T

Theanswer

Experienced
Jun 26, 2022
That's probably just a typo? But the SN is Sodium Nitrite . Sodium Nitrate is a different substance useless for my purposes
Yes, you're right. I ordered and am talking about Sodium Nitrite. I suspect it's a typo on the vendor's part, but I circled back with them for clarification. thanks for the catch.

C

come to dust

Arcanist
Oct 28, 2019
is there an actual chemical reason why sodium nitrite decomposes or reacts at 36C? I have not heard of one.

Based on the following link, i have found the below info. https://fscimage.fishersci.com/msds/21410.htm

Chemical Stability: Stable at room temperature in closed containers under normal storage and handling conditions. Unstable if heated, may explode at temperatures greater than 533°C.
Conditions to Avoid: Ignition sources, dust generation, exposure to air, exposure to moist air or water, temperatures above 320°C.
Incompatibilities with Other Materials: Reducing agents, acids, amines, chlorates, permanganates, cyanides (e.g. potassium cyanide, sodium cyanide), metals as powders (e.g. hafnium, raney nickel), hypophosphites, sulfites, tannic acid, organic matter, antipyrine, ammonium salts, acetanilide, iodides, mercury salts, moisture, air, activated carbon, vegetable astringents.
Hazardous Decomposition Products: Oxides of nitrogen, irritating and toxic fumes and gases.
Hazardous Polymerization: Will not occur.

• Informative
Reactions: Mayonaise, Sunset764 and Yavannah
stoiccactus

stoiccactus

somehow still here
Mar 24, 2022
is there an actual chemical reason why sodium nitrite decomposes or reacts at 36C? I have not heard of one
I was wondering the same thing, as long as its dry, it is effectively a salt which is super shelf stable. Probably why its used as a preservative

Ethereal Knight

Ethereal Knight

Seja um bom soldado, morra onde você caiu.
Jan 10, 2022
that's exactly what I think. SN can handle high temperatures.

the most important thing you have to do, in regards to SN storage, is to not break the seal unless you're going to use it in the same day. because breaking the seal makes the air come in contact with SN, which brings some water to SN, then it starts slowly oxidizing into sodium nitrate (NaNO3), which can render a SN sample unsuitable for end-of-life purposes.

PPH, in the SN chapter, talks about storage.

in fact, storage is one of SN's big qualities, because it's easy to store and it can have an indefinite half life if properly stored (in its original sealed container).

TL;DR: it's fine, just don't open it unless you're gonna use it.

"Storage & Disposal of Sodium Nitrite

Sodium nitrite is stable, and can be stored at room temperature. However, it should be stored in a sealed container. Sodium nitrite is also hygroscopic. This means that when exposed to air, it absorbs water and will slowly oxidize to sodium nitrate, silently degrading over time. Oxidation will render a sample of sodium nitrite ineffective as an end of life agent. Evidence of deterioration can be difficult to determine by visual inspection.
There are no specific concerns with the disposal of any unused nitrite, and the shelf life of properly stored salt is almost infinite.
"

• Informative
Reactions: Yavannah, come to dust and Deleted member 31858