sevennn

sevennn

Student
Sep 11, 2024
will anyone be attempting SN with GERD or any other digestive issue? if so, are you scared of the vomiting/stomach pain. and other symptoms. are you considering this as a method at all? i fear i have no other option

Reactions: nihilistic_dragon and Alexei_Kirillov
E

Endisclose

Experienced
Oct 23, 2023
will anyone be attempting SN with GERD or any other digestive issue? if so, are you scared of the vomiting/stomach pain. and other symptoms. are you considering this as a method at all? i fear i have no other option
Yes. I have the same concerns too. I am going through a terrible nightmare right now with a severe case of laryngopharyngeal reflux with horrible throat pain for the last 6 months now. I may have just hit upon some light at the end of the tunnel these last few days, but not sure, will have to see in the coming days.

I have had fears having been afflicted with GERD for quite sometime if vomitting could be a point of concern with SN as the LES is more relaxed/ open in people with GERD compared to normal people. I plan to use SN as well with possibly meto as my AE of choice.

I have apprehensions on the one hand of the SN being able to spill out of the stomach up into the oesophagus and out of the mouth with the loose LES enabling it to happen. But I also read that meto helps the LES get tighter a little and that the way meto works is by shutting down the part of the brain responsible for receiving the vomitting signal.

So theoretically the loose LES shouldn't matter if this part of meto works - as it is supposed to. The only thing that should matter with a loose LES is probably posture.

Generally for gerd, as far as I've read, lying on one's left side with the legs bent and a pillow between one's knees and the elbow tucked forward such that it is in front of the chest and the left palm underneath the head i.e., below the left ear is recommended as the best position for sleeping as the LES would be on top thus letting gravity help keep the contents of the stomach down.

But ironically for SN, the duodenal opening would also be towards the top thus making it necessary for the SN to pass upward against gravity so to speak in order to pass into the small intestine. I wondered how this could ever happen and tried taking a bit of water and sleeping on my left side and to my surprise the water went down without any issues like burping or it coming up into the oesophagus. But I am still a bit apprehensive of things possibly being different with SN.

The other sleeping position for GERD that's recommended is with one's back resting on a wedge pillow, maybe use of another pillow on top of the wedge pillow to rest the head (preferably a cervical pillow as it could hold the neck in place and prevent sliding down).

This is my preferred position as it would enable both gravity to work in my favour and also the contents of the stomach are more likely to pass through the duodenal opening into the small intestine more easily. I feel sleeping or turning to the right as is recommended generally in this forum for SN is a no-no for people with GERD as the LES would be facing downwards and the contents of the stomach are likely to spill out.

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Hugs
Reactions: DefinitelyReady, Alexei_Kirillov and sevennn
sevennn

sevennn

Student
Sep 11, 2024
Yes. I have the same concerns too. I am going through a terrible nightmare right now with a severe case of laryngopharyngeal reflux with horrible throat pain for the last 6 months now. I may have just hit upon some light at the end of the tunnel these last few days, but not sure, will have to see in the coming days.

I have had fears having been afflicted with GERD for quite sometime if vomitting could be a point of concern as the LES is more relaxed/ open in people with GERD compared to normal people. I plan to use SN as well with possibly meto as my AE of choice.

I have apprehensions on the one hand of the SN being able to spill out of the stomach up into the oesophagus and out of the mouth with the loose LES enabling it to happen. But I also read that meto helps the LES get tighter a little and that the way meto works is by shutting down the part of the brain responsible for receiving the vomitting signal.

So theoretically the loose LES shouldn't matter if this part of meto works. The only thing that would matter with a loose LES is probably posture.

Generally for gerd, as far as I've read, lying on one's left side with the legs bent and a pillow between one's knees and the elbow tucked forward such that it is in front of the chest and the left palm underneath the head i.e., below the left ear is recommended as the best position for sleeping as the LES would be on top thus letting gravity help keep the contents of the stomach down.

But ironically for SN, the duodenal opening would also be towards the top thus making it necessary for the SN to pass upward against gravity so to speak in order to pass into the small intestine. I wondered how this could ever happen and tried taking a bit of water and sleeping on my left side and to my surprise the water went down without any issues like burping or it coming up into the oesophagus. But I am still a bit apprehensive of things possibly being different with SN.

The other sleeping position for GERD that's recommended is with one's back resting on a wedge pillow, maybe use of another pillow on top of the wedge pillow to rest the head (preferably a cervical pillow as it could hold the neck in place and prevent sliding down).

This is my preferred position as it would enable both gravity to work in my favour and also the contents of the stomach are more likely to pass through the duodenal opening into the small intestine more easily. I feel sleeping or turning to the right as is recommended generally in this forum for SN is a no-no for people with GERD as the LES would be facing downwards and the contents of the stomach are likely to spill out.
i'm confused. is lying down after drinking SN necessary?

Kta1994

Kta1994

Experienced
Apr 25, 2019
Yes I'm scared but I have no other option

• Aww..
Reactions: sevennn
E

Endisclose

Experienced
Oct 23, 2023
i'm confused. is lying down after drinking SN necessary?
I think the advice in the pph says "to lay back". I suppose it makes sense to get into a somewhat stable position. Otherwise there is the risk of falling down, causing some noise and getting some attention or worse falling face down and vomitting the stuff. I guess the idea is to get into a stable position that would help keep the contents down that doesn't cause a loss of equilibrium in the moments leading in to unconsciousness when one's control may not fully be there.

sevennn

sevennn

Student
Sep 11, 2024
I think the advice in the pph says "to lay back". I suppose it makes sense to get into a somewhat stable position. Otherwise there is the risk of falling down, causing some noise and getting some attention or worse falling face down and vomitting the stuff. I guess the idea is to get into a stable position that would help keep the contents down that doesn't cause a loss of equilibrium in the moments leading in to unconsciousness when one's control may not fully be there.
stable position, makes sense. will reclining a bit in bed or chair be ok then? sounds ok to me. it's just that lying down is a sure way to vomit imo. gravity a bit of a bitch.

E

Endisclose

Experienced
Oct 23, 2023
stable position, makes sense. will reclining a bit in bed or chair be ok then? sounds ok to me. it's just that lying down is a sure way to vomit imo. gravity a bit of a bitch.
I use what is called a "wedge pillow", which is something that is recommended for all people suffering from GERD as it gives the head and chest some elevation in order to keep the stomach acid down. The wedge pillow I have has an elevation of 12 inches from the bed and a 25 degree inclined slope on which I rest my back.

I place a cervical pillow on top of the wedge pillow to rest my head, which gives it a little more elevation.

I also place a pillow under my knees while sleeping at night. This is supposed to be the best ergonomic position for people suffering from GERD to sleep in. It would be my preferred way to go. But the wedge pillow I have is somewhat big which might attract attention if I take it to ctb in a hotel, so I think I'll get an inflatable one and use some normal pillows for elevation. The elevation in the inflatable "travel wedge pillow" is lesser than the one I have though, but I hope the pillows I get at the hotel can make up the difference and hopefully offer enough elevation. An elevation of at least 11 inches would be preferable I think.

Last edited:
sevennn

sevennn

Student
Sep 11, 2024
I use what is called a "wedge pillow", which is something that is recommended for all people suffering from GERD as it gives the head and chest some elevation in order to keep the stomach acid down. The wedge pillow I have has an elevation of 12 inches from the bed and a 25 degree inclined slope on which I rest my back.

I place a cervical pillow on top of the wedge pillow to rest my head, which gives it a little more elevation.

I also place a pillow under my knees while sleeping at night. This is supposed to be the best ergonomic position for people suffering from GERD to sleep in. It would be my preferred way to go. But the wedge pillow I have is somewhat big which might attract attention if I take it to ctb in a hotel, so I think I'll get an inflatable one and use some normal pillows for elevation. The elevation in the inflatable "travel wedge pillow" is lesser than the one I have though, but I hope the pillows I get at the hotel can make up the difference and hopefully offer enough elevation. An elevation of at least 11 inches would be preferable I think.

there is a wedge pillow that folds in half. and fits into a travel bag. i don't know if i can find you a picture. but i saw one online

E

Endisclose

Experienced
Oct 23, 2023
there is a wedge pillow that folds in half. and fits into a travel bag. i don't know if i can find you a picture. but i saw one online
It could be an option based on its size, how big it is or how conspicuous it appears to be..am mulling over the possibility of just taking mine to some hotel on a trial run and see the reaction I get and make my final decision based on that.

sevennn

sevennn

Student
Sep 11, 2024
It could be an option based on its size, how big it is or how conspicuous it appears to be..am mulling over the possibility of just taking mine to some hotel on a trial run and see the reaction I get and make my final decision based on that.
I mean. I wanted to say. nobody in the hotel is going to care? wedge pillows are kind of not standard in any hotel so it makes sense someone would bring their own. a lot of people can't sleep without them.

E

Endisclose

Experienced
Oct 23, 2023
I mean. I wanted to say. nobody in the hotel is going to care? wedge pillows are kind of not standard in any hotel so it makes sense someone would bring their own. a lot of people can't sleep without them.
Thing is I have really high anxiety and unfortunately it shows, and I also think that people around where I am are quick to notice something out of the ordinary. The wedge pillow I have is pretty huge like 24x24x12 inches. I feel it's natural for people to be curious and I was worried it might provoke some kind of baggage search or scan of sorts. I haven't been much to hotels so I don't really know how things are like there. I was hoping to make a few trial runs if and when I get over my LPR.

sevennn

sevennn

Student
Sep 11, 2024
Thing is I have really high anxiety and unfortunately it shows, and I also think that people around where I am are quick to notice something out of the ordinary. The wedge pillow I have is pretty huge like 24x24x12 inches. I feel it's natural for people to be curious and I was worried it might provoke some kind of baggage search or scan of sorts. I haven't been much to hotels so I don't really know how things are like there. I was hoping to make a few trial runs if and when I get over my LPR.
i get about anxiety. if it was me i'd feel like i look silly. search "travel wedge pillow" you can buy one that folds in half (i don't understand inches lol so maybe this one is small?) there's also inflatable. in any case. i don't think they'll care at all like i said https://images.app.goo.gl/q6r2FUv5xuCMjvVu7

Reactions: Endisclose