SmallKoy

SmallKoy

Aficionado
Jan 18, 2024
For context, I live in Canada and for those who don't know, Canadian citizens all have a health card. Health cards are what allows you to receive health care in Canada without needing to pay (though there is a lot of misconceptions about how the free health care works. You can receive free medical care but that doesn't mean all kinds of health care are free, in fact most are not covered). Anyway, my mother is one of those conspiracy theorists that has completely gone off the deep end. She straight up doesn't believe in health care and thinks it's all a scam and doctors only want to sell you stuff. She doesn't even believe in health care for our animals. When I was a teenager, she never took me to renew my health card. I never knew the severity of that, and I just thought we didn't have time. Now I know (thanks to her ex bf, who is the person who helps me now as an adult get everything I need up to date and drive me places) that she was deliberately keeping me from renewing my health card because she didn't want me to have access to it, and go see the doctor whenever I wanted. That's obviously very neglectful. If any authorities knew she was actively preventing me from receiving any healthcare I needed I probably would've been taken away.

Today, I was finally able to go and get my health card renewed. I've had an extremely stressful week, things aren't and haven't been good, I'm extremely anxious and it feels like everything's going wrong. But this is my small victory for the week. I can finally access health care reliably, and maybe even get my own doctor. I just wanted to share.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: LifeQuitter, rollingthunder, DeusVult and 3 others
-Link-

-Link-

Deep Breaths
Aug 25, 2018
I am Canadian as well, and I know firsthand how critically important this was. I'm very glad for you that you were able to do this and that you have somebody close to you who's in your corner to help out like that.

This actually sounds like a BIG victory, and I think you should treat yourself to something you wouldn't normally do! (a reward, if you will)

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: whywere, derpyderpins and SmallKoy
W

whywere

Visionary
Jun 26, 2020
Congrats!

Way back when I had parents who were like your mom and what you accomplished is not a small but large victory.

You have the intelligence, drive and fore sight in making your life better, and that is so wonderfully great as it shows how wonderful you are.

Back in 1974 when my parents dropped me off at a street curb with a abg of my clothes, and no money, food or shelter, I was more than determeined to make it and move forward. You are made of even better metal than me and you will do great in life.

Thank you so much for sharing, really made my day better knowing that there are such lovely folks like you on here and in the world in general.

Have a great rest of this week, my good friend.

Walter

• Love
Reactions: SmallKoy
SmallKoy

SmallKoy

Aficionado
Jan 18, 2024
I am Canadian as well, and I know firsthand how critically important this was. I'm very glad for you that you were able to do this and that you have somebody close to you who's in your corner to help out like that.

This actually sounds like a BIG victory, and I think you should treat yourself to something you wouldn't normally do! (a reward, if you will)
Thank you. That means a lot to me. Right now, I feel too low to do anything but lay in bed. When I have the energy, I may treat myself, thanks again.
Congrats!

Way back when I had parents who were like your mom and what you accomplished is not a small but large victory.

You have the intelligence, drive and fore sight in making your life better, and that is so wonderfully great as it shows how wonderful you are.

Back in 1974 when my parents dropped me off at a street curb with a abg of my clothes, and no money, food or shelter, I was more than determeined to make it and move forward. You are made of even better metal than me and you will do great in life.

Thank you so much for sharing, really made my day better knowing that there are such lovely folks like you on here and in the world in general.

Have a great rest of this week, my good friend.

Walter
Thank you so much for your kind words. It really is nice to feel like I accomplished something big today. It feels like my life is so hard and I'm never gonna be able to move through the set backs that I have from my parents. Hearing stories like yours really help me feel like I might be ok.

• Hugs
Reactions: -Link-