L

LastBitOfJoy

Dec 18, 2023
Survival instinct is also a production of your brain, you can trick yourself that it's just a fear. Like an emotion, you can face it and overcome it. It's not easy, but totally doable.

I am writing this not to encourage it for others, but encourage it for myself.

Reactions: Noc, pthnrdnojvsc, Forever Sleep and 3 others
U

UKscotty

Doesn't read PMs
May 20, 2021
But SI is literally the most powerful thing we can tackle.

So many people say they hate life, all life is pointless, no sense in being here etc but yet here we are.

Maybe SI is something you can trick or slowly wear away, but I don't believe so.
I think its something that will suddenly just be gone, then we are free to CTB.

Reactions: myusername890
Slow_Farewell

Slow_Farewell

Warlock
Dec 19, 2023
You are correct. Like a lot of reactions from the human body, SI is a result of certain triggers and it is possible to over-ride or at least decrease the intensity of the reactions, at least to a certain degree.

I understand that your post is by no means meant to imply that SI is easy to overcome, and I agree that it can be something used to encourage yourself (and others too).
The interesting bit of it is how to trigger SI enough that one gets used to it, so there is some semblance of control when SI occurs in the act of CTB'ing.

• Informative
Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc and Forever Sleep
PrettyPotato

PrettyPotato

Student
Dec 11, 2023
From what I remember when learning about it (many years back!), SI is the 'fight or flight' response and is not something that's learned. It's effectively a circuit like an electrical switch. It all happens in the part of the brain called the amygdala, but also triggers certain autonomic systems (parts that you have no real control over like breathing).

In animals it's a protection mechanism (obviously) and impossible for them to overcome (more accurately, why would it even occur to them to do so) - think deer in headlights, rabbits playing dead, etc.

Humans can sometimes outthink some of the fight or flight response with logic however. Unfortunately this is rarely a good thing ; fight or flight in animals is designed to kick in, but then recede immediately after the danger has passed. Humans hanging onto that response and overthinking the whole thing though is what psychologists believe contributes to things like ptsd, major stress and so on - the brain doesn't let the situation go, even after the danger has long passed.

• Informative
Reactions: Forever Sleep
pthnrdnojvsc

pthnrdnojvsc

Extreme Pain is much worse than people know
Aug 12, 2019

From what I remember when learning about it (many years back!), SI is the 'fight or flight' response and is not something that's learned. It's effectively a circuit like an electrical switch. It all happens in the part of the brain called the amygdala, but also triggers certain autonomic systems (parts that you have no real control over like breathing).

In animals it's a protection mechanism (obviously) and impossible for them to overcome (more accurately, why would it even occur to them to do so) - think deer in headlights, rabbits playing dead, etc.

Humans can sometimes outthink some of the fight or flight response with logic however. Unfortunately this is rarely a good thing ; fight or flight in animals is designed to kick in, but then recede immediately after the danger has passed. Humans hanging onto that response and overthinking the whole thing though is what psychologists believe contributes to things like ptsd, major stress and so on - the brain doesn't let the situation go, even after the danger has long passed.
Yeah but imo it's how you see things.

Many people even on this site can't get themselves to drink sn or n, jump or shoot themselves.

Scenario 1. What if we were on a top of a burning building 80 floors up and absolutely sure no way out. How many of us could jump? Id say a high percentage. The fear is from remaining In life getting burned and to death. Yes there is a fear of jumping but it can be overcome even in 20 minutes in that situation. You see that you could be burning for at least 5 minutes of extreme pain burning parts of your body as worse than jumping cause with jumping at that height you have a very good chance of dying quickly painlessly which is better than getting burned all over ur body

Scenario 2. Kidnapped about to be tortured more , tortured already. No way they will ever let you out.but left alone for a few hours in a locked room. You have a bottle of nembutal or sn. How many would drink the n? You can drink the n because you see the harm that remaining alive in that situation would cause you, u see keeping living = torture rape slavery prison then in that kidnapping situation. furthermore if you see death = non-existence forever which is beautiful the ultimate bliss freedom never any unbearable pain nor extreme suffering no problems ever: then how likely is someone to drink the n then? So the si can be defeated imo it's how u see things

Last edited:
Reactions: Unknown21, ummagumma and PrettyPotato
PrettyPotato

PrettyPotato

Student
Dec 11, 2023

Yeah but imo it's how you see things.

Many people even on this site can't get themselves to drink sn or n, jump or shoot themselves.

Scenario 1. What if we were on a top of a burning building 80 floors up and absolutely sure no way out. How many of us could jump? Id say a high percentage. The fear is from remaining In life getting burned and to death. Yes there is a fear of jumping but it can be overcome even in 20 minutes in that situation. You see that you could be burning for at least 5 minutes of extreme pain burning parts of your body as worse than jumping cause with jumping at that height you have a very good chance of dying quickly painlessly which is better than getting burned all over ur body

Scenario 2. Kidnapped about to be tortured but left alone for a few hours in a locked room. You have a bottle of nembutal or sn. How many would drink the n? You can drink the n because you see the harm that remaining alive in that situation would cause you, u see keeping living = torture rape slavery prison then in that kidnapping situation. furthermore if you see death = non-existence forever which is beautiful the ultimate bliss freedom never any unbearable pain nor extreme suffering no problems ever: then how likely is someone to drink the n then? So the si can be defeated imo it's how u see things
Sure, but in the first example it's fight or flight, and in the case of being on top of a burning building, it's the fight response that would kick in, as well as shedloads of adrenalin. That's not overcoming SI in other words, that *is* SI that's giving you the strength to jump off the building, even though the chance of surviving the fall may be slim. I suspect bunny rabbits will just melt - they don't have much fight response, just a bit of nose wiggling lol

Scenario 2 - difficult one, and would very much depend on the person. A lot of people imho would take neither, and hope against all evidence that they could get the captors to release them. The human brain will do some very illogical things when faced with that kind of stress - stockholm syndrome, etc. There have been plenty of psychological experiments done on exactly this kind of scenario over the years, and none of them have humans come across as particularly sensible! Also of course not many people in that situation unless they already have suicidal ideation would even consider death to be a potential option.

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I think part of the reason I would likely go out via SN is the hopes the SI would be less. I know I'd be scared shitless to jump off something. Heights naturally frighten us- the body seems to know it's in danger. Same with a noose really, I'm not sure I'd be great feeling something around my neck plus- I don't trust my knots!

To be fair though- I've never made an attempt. I've seen here that SI can still be bad with SN. I guess it's the knowing it's poisonous and the not knowing just how frightening and painful it will be... and if it will work even.

I tell myself I have done scary things in life before though. Sometimes, I can just do stuff- even though I'm scared. I felt very little when I actually bought my SN- so that tells me my conviction to use it is there at least.

I'm hoping the thought of seeing a suspected narcissist again will be enough to push me into just drinking the stuff. I often tell myself I would do anything to spare myself seeing them again. It will be a matter of proving it to myself I guess when the time comes.

It's so hard to know what it will be like though. It's probably way stronger than just regular fear. I guess you only know when you attempt yourself. Out of interest OP, have you attempted before?

He was a horrible character in this movie but I liked his simple reasoning: 'I can't stand it... I won't stand it.'... BANG!

• Love
Reactions: Argo and Noc
pthnrdnojvsc

pthnrdnojvsc

Extreme Pain is much worse than people know
Aug 12, 2019
Sure, but in the first example it's fight or flight, and in the case of being on top of a burning building, it's the fight response that would kick in, as well as shedloads of adrenalin. That's not overcoming SI in other words, that *is* SI that's giving you the strength to jump off the building, even though the chance of surviving the fall may be slim. I suspect bunny rabbits will just melt - they don't have much fight response, just a bit of nose wiggling lol

Scenario 2 - difficult one, and would very much depend on the person. A lot of people imho would take neither, and hope against all evidence that they could get the captors to release them. The human brain will do some very illogical things when faced with that kind of stress - stockholm syndrome, etc. There have been plenty of psychological experiments done on exactly this kind of scenario over the years, and none of them have humans come across as particularly sensible! Also of course not many people in that situation unless they already have suicidal ideation would even consider death to be a potential option.
I edited scenario 2 . Already tortured will be tortured more no way that they will let u out . And this is going on for days but they leave alone at night locked in a room with SN or n . I think a lot of people will be able to defeat si and drink that n or sn , One night after daily tortures . Most people imo in that mess Will eventually see that there is no reason to accept torture or at least that death is better.Imo it's the way you see life and or your situation. I see my situation and life in general as this example. I see non-existence as the most beautiful freedom bliss no pain ever no problems ever . Life is meaningless torture an imposition. Furthermore I am beginning to see my life and see life as evil prison torture slavery like that kidnapping example. So I will be able to defeat si like 29 million who attempt suicide every Year. I see there is no reason to life much less to accept torture . Life is meaningless torture imo. I will defeat si and reach non-existence forever

Last edited:
PrettyPotato

PrettyPotato

Student
Dec 11, 2023
I think part of the reason I would likely go out via SN is the hopes the SI would be less. I know I'd be scared shitless to jump off something. Heights naturally frighten us- the body seems to know it's in danger. Same with a noose really, I'm not sure I'd be great feeling something around my neck plus- I don't trust my knots!

To be fair though- I've never made an attempt. I've seen here that SI can still be bad with SN. I guess it's the knowing it's poisonous and the not knowing just how frightening and painful it will be... and if it will work even.

I tell myself I have done scary things in life before though. Sometimes, I can just do stuff- even though I'm scared. I felt very little when I actually bought my SN- so that tells me my conviction to use it is there at least.

I'm hoping the thought of seeing a suspected narcissist again will be enough to push me into just drinking the stuff. I often tell myself I would do anything to spare myself seeing them again. It will be a matter of proving it to myself I guess when the time comes.

It's so hard to know what it will be like though. It's probably way stronger than just regular fear. I guess you only know when you attempt yourself. Out of interest OP, have you attempted before?

He was a horrible character in this movie but I liked his simple reasoning: 'I can't stand it... I won't stand it.'... BANG!

I hope the trick - at least this is going to be my approach - is to keep calm and do something distracting whilst the AEs set in, set an alarm, and when you're ready then say 'fuck it' and down it in one like a shot. I actually bought two 60ml shot glasses today especially for the task!

• Hugs
Reactions: Forever Sleep
Unknown21

Unknown21

?/?/2024
Apr 25, 2023
What is the survival instinct? Is it the intense anxiety that overwhelms you before an act, such as suicide, or is it the response that occurs when you are in a deadly situation and suffer from panic, such as suffocation, drowning, burning, etc.

Reactions: Immensevoid