Seiniar

Seiniar

Nov 2, 2020
While I'm preparing for my SN departure I was thinking that I would love to have my beloved cat near me, gently caressing her fur while passing out. But I'm scared the cat would at some point tell I'm dead and I don't want this trauma to stick with her. So in that case the solution would be lock me inside the bedroom so che can't enter and die alone.
What do you guys feel about this?

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Huntfish34 and Doormat
MichaelNomad123

MichaelNomad123

Jesus
Oct 15, 2020
Absolutely not. Cats are like dogs. They feel loss and grieve. Their tells are just harder to read. Locking her outside will be no different, because she will dig at the door endlessly. My advice is to find a new home for your animal if you are so committed to your path. There is no need for your pet to suffer.

• Love
Reactions: Arvinneedstodie, ready 2 go, Zyntkalla and 9 others
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you šŸ•Æļø Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
I'd be more concerned about your pet running out of food. Lol

However if you have a strong bond with your cat then I wouldn't. Much like a cadaver dog, cats aren't stupid and they know what death is.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: ready 2 go, Skathon, x~Sophia~x and 2 others
W

WornOutLife

惞惃惈
Mar 22, 2020
I agree with the above comments, they shouldn't.
Also, leaving cats aside, I've heard dogs will eat you if many days with your dead body pass by!
So weird!

Reactions: GoneGoneGone, LastFlowers and flatearth
Despondent

Despondent

Archangel
Dec 20, 2019
No, they're too precious :(

• Love
Reactions: ready 2 go, Skathon, Huntfish34 and 1 other person
mahakaliSS_MahaDurga

mahakaliSS_MahaDurga

Visionary
Apr 2, 2020
While I'm preparing for my SN departure I was thinking that I would love to have my beloved cat near me, gently caressing her fur while passing out. But I'm scared the cat would at some point tell I'm dead and I don't want this trauma to stick with her. So in that case the solution would be lock me inside the bedroom so che can't enter and die alone.
What is going to happen to your cat after you die? Is she just going to starve to death locked in your apartment? Give the poor animal to somebody.

• Love
Reactions: Huntfish34, GoneGoneGone, TripleA and 3 others
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
I agree with the above comments, they shouldn't.
Also, leaving cats aside, I've heard dogs will eat you if many days with your dead body pass by!
So weird!
That's why I made the comment about the pet running out of food. Cats are more known for it then dogs I believe.

@mahakali88 I should have made this comment to you lol.

No it won't starve in the apartment, I'm sure it will find something to eat..... Or something like that lol

Last edited:
Reactions: WornOutLife and mahakaliSS_MahaDurga
mahakaliSS_MahaDurga

mahakaliSS_MahaDurga

Visionary
Apr 2, 2020
That's why I made the comment about the pet running out of food. Cats are more known for it then dogs I believe.

@mahakali88 I should have made this comment to you lol.

No it won't starve in the apartment, I'm sure it will find something to eat..... Or something like that lol
I think it is inhumane and cruel to leave your dog or cat without food and with your rotting corpse. I do not believe in an afterlife, but I hope there is a special type of hell for people who would do such a thing.

Reactions: Fthis, ready 2 go, LastFlowers and 3 others
Seiniar

Seiniar

Nov 2, 2020
No no guys of course I have plans for my cat! My mom/brother will surely find my body the next day (I live alone but they check on me everyday). I love my cat more than anything, she represented my new life but she is also the one always near me when things got worse.
But I can't simply give my mum the cat beforehand without any valid excuse and then die alone in my house.
I also believe at some point my cat would realize I'm dead next to her...and I don't want to give her this experience. I was planning on dying in my bedroom alone, keep her out (at some point she will find some comfortable place to sleep, she mostly sleep on the bed but all of her stuff are in the other rooms), leave plenty of food and water (even if as I said they will probably find me the next day). In my letter I asked my mom to take care of her and give her lots of love. I know she would have done it even without asking. But you are right, I should die alone...I don't want my adorable cat to suffer this.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Fthis, ready 2 go, burglarlydante and 6 others
SmellyRat

SmellyRat

Arcanist
Nov 5, 2018
Just do the right thing, and make sure your pet is safe with food and water with someone else to take care of it:heart:

• Love
Reactions: BLUE1970, mahakaliSS_MahaDurga and Life_and_Death
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
I think it is inhumane and cruel to leave your dog or cat without food and with your rotting corpse. I do not believe in an afterlife, but I hope there is a special type of hell for people who would do such a thing.
Not so much this, I have 2 cats myself that I love dearly and I can understand wanting them with you. What I hate the most is people that say "they are just dumb animals" ummm..... Clearly you are and you know nothing about animals because they have very distinct personalities if you paid attention at all......

• Hugs
Reactions: Fthis, ready 2 go, LastFlowers and 2 others
mahakaliSS_MahaDurga

mahakaliSS_MahaDurga

Visionary
Apr 2, 2020
No no guys of course I have plans for my cat! My mom/brother will surely find my body the next day (I live alone but they check on me everyday). I love my cat more than anything, she represented my new life but she is also the one always near me when things got worse.
But I can't simply give my mum the cat beforehand without any valid excuse and then die alone in my house.
I also believe at some point my cat would realize I'm dead next to her...and I don't want to give her this experience. I was planning on dying in my bedroom alone, keep her out (at some point she will find some comfortable place to sleep, she mostly sleep on the bed but all of her stuff are in the other rooms), leave plenty of food and water (even if as I said they will probably find me the next day). In my letter I asked my mom to take care of her and give her lots of love. I know she would have done it even without asking. But you are right, I should die alone...I don't want my adorable cat to suffer this.
Okay, sorry I assumed you did not have plans.

• Hugs
Reactions: LastFlowers, Seiniar and SmellyRat
bov

bov

Arcanist
Aug 26, 2020
You have family who check on you every single day and it's the cat you're worried about? I'm my cat's fourth owner; two before me died. The cat was down for a bit but is ultimately fine. The nine lives saying exists for a reason. I say this respectfully: It's good that you care but maybe there's some vanity at play here?

Reactions: Huntfish34 and mahakaliSS_MahaDurga
mahakaliSS_MahaDurga

mahakaliSS_MahaDurga

Visionary
Apr 2, 2020
You have family who check on you every single day and it's the cat you're worried about? I'm my cat's fourth owner; two before me died. The cat was down for a bit but is ultimately fine. The nine lives saying exists for a reason. I say this respectfully: It's good that you care but maybe there's some vanity at play here?
I think that dogs get more attached to people than cats. I've heard stories of dogs dying after their owner died, they'd refuse food. Cats adapt more easily to new owners.

• Love
  • Aww..
Reactions: Huntfish34 and SmellyRat
SmellyRat

SmellyRat

Arcanist
Nov 5, 2018
I think that dogs get more attached to people than cats. I've heard stories of dogs dying after their owner died, they'd refuse food. Cats adapt more easily to new owners.

Cats do tend to be more nomadic.

Reactions: mahakaliSS_MahaDurga
Rue89

Rue89

Visionary
Feb 10, 2020
I would be worried about the cat drinking/eating some of the SN. It would be best to keep them locked out of the room for that reason.

Reactions: flower, LastFlowers, Soul and 2 others
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
Idk my girls seem pretty attached to me. If my husband walks in without me they give him this pissed off look and you can tell they were looking for me. Plus I know this is true because they greet me at the door so at the very least it wouldn't be surprising lol.

yetme

yetme

Arcanist
Oct 20, 2019

Cats will eat your dead body. Do you really want that?

Last edited:
Reactions: LastFlowers
BLUE1970

BLUE1970

Experienced
Nov 3, 2020
I do not want my dog or cats to see me deceased. Cats are not very loyal, I think they could move on if decent food and shelter was offer. My dog however would be heartbroken and likely die of a broken heart.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Seiniar and mahakaliSS_MahaDurga
Seiniar

Seiniar

Nov 2, 2020
Ummm yes, how are these things connected? There's no way I can avoid my parents to see my dead body and suffer. If I don't answer to my mom's message within some hours she panics and she knows I'm not doing great. Her overprotective behavior is one of the reasons my life sucks today. But that's not the topic for this.
Me and my cat are very close and she is very affectionate, for many times she was the only reason for me to get up, she is always near me when I'm sad. I know she is gonna be fine anyway but I can't really tell how long a trauma can stay within a cat. My cat had a traumatic experience while she was little and she is still very afraid of heights years later. Why do you say vanity? Because if I can I don't want to hurt her? I know and I'm glad she will still live a good life anyway but I care for possible trauma

• Hugs
Reactions: ready 2 go, shadowchaser, LastFlowers and 1 other person
G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
I'll go ahead and give the unpopular opinion. I think it depends on the animal's personality. Animals do understand death, and for some it would be worse for you to go away forever and them wonder if you'll return than see you dead. I've had pets that would have never stopped waiting if I just vanished. Only you know how your animals feel about you, but if you do die with them there make sure they have tons of food and water, and send a delayed emails so someone can come get them.

Reactions: Weary Soul, ready 2 go, flower and 6 others
Seiniar

Seiniar

Nov 2, 2020
I'll go ahead and give the unpopular opinion. I think it depends on the animal's personality. Animals do understand death, and for some it would be worse for you to go away forever and them wonder if you'll return than see you dead. I've had pets that would have never stopped waiting if I just vanished. Only you know how your animals feel about you, but if you do die with them there make sure they have tons of food and water, and send a delayed emails so someone can come get them.

So death vs feeling of abandonment...
Unfortunately I don't know how she will feel...her safety is my priority anyway, she will be in good hands.
If I want to keep her with me during the night I'm also afraid she will realize and start crying meowing like crazy till someone will find me

• Hugs
Reactions: ready 2 go, LastFlowers and Ghost2211
Soul

Soul

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
Apr 12, 2019
I wouldn't mind my cats eating me, but not if I've taken SN. That seems like it could be very bad for them.

@Seiniar, I don't understand that "vanity" remark either. I'm happy to hear your cat will be well cared for.

Have you considered doing the deed at a hotel? Leaving your cat at home with ample food and water?

Last edited:
Reactions: Meditation guide and LastFlowers
Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
No way, they will feel that you are no longer among them and they will be confused. Please reconsider if your thinking about it.

bov

bov

Arcanist
Aug 26, 2020
I wouldn't mind my cats eating me, but not if I've taken SN. That seems like it could be very bad for them.

@Seiniar, I don't understand that "vanity" remark either. I'm happy to hear your cat will be well cared for.

Have you considered doing the deed at a hotel? With ample food and water left for your cat?
I guess what I meant was maybe it's vain to assume we mean as much to our pets as they mean to us (the providers of their food). I know animals feel, and that their attachments can be personal, and I believe you when you describe how special your bond is.

The juxtaposition of the original post got to me, the concern of the family members vs the concern for the cat. It's natural to want to believe someone will be devastated by our absence, and I wonder if your professed concern for your cat is as much real concern as it is a manifestation of that desire.

Maybe the cat loves you much, much more than your family, but I'm positive your family will be scarred more deeply than the cat.

I don't want to guilt trip when you're already in such a low place so I won't comment further. I hope you find the peace you seek.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: shadowchaser
sadbadpsychogirl

sadbadpsychogirl

sonofabitch
May 29, 2020
i've had to consider this and i just can't justify it. it would be like my children seeing my dead body.

Reactions: Seiniar
LastFlowers

LastFlowers

the haru that can read
Apr 27, 2019
In what way are you seeing vanity in this situation? That they don't want their pet going to anyone else? I mean..that could be said about most people and their pets, their loved ones, their material things, anything they are sentimental toward, etc.
I'm having trouble understanding what you mean, also by your first statement. Are you implying OP should be more concerned about the family's reaction than the cat's? Genuinely just wondering what you meant.
Cats will eat your dead body. Do you really want that?
This is a possibility. Even if you're not dead for long, I think I read something about pets not just eating because of hunger, but chewing and mutilating the body as a form of frustration trying to wake their owner, or simply from being stressed out by the situation if they sense something is amiss.
For instance, when I cry or whistle, my cat will attack me and bite me until I stop. It causes her distress, she tries to get to my mouth to see where the noise is coming from. The difference is that I am alive to stop her from taking it too far, if you're dead, your pets will have no cue that they're hurting you.

Then again, it is entirely possible if you are found soon, your cat won't even realize you died, they may even be fast asleep the whole time. Some cats are just oblivious. But I would still err on the side of caution.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nutshell
bov

bov

Arcanist
Aug 26, 2020
I take back the vanity comment. It was a little insensitive.

• Love
Reactions: Seiniar and shadowchaser
shadowchaser

shadowchaser

ā˜¾
Aug 1, 2019
I take back the vanity comment. It was a little insensitive.

ā™” People like you are why I love SS --tolerating difference of opinion in respectful ways, and recognizing possible mistakes :) thank you.
(also, sorry for being off topic, seiniar! I don't really have much valuable advice but I hope it all eventually works out for you and your cat ā™”)