N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
There was this judgment some months ago in my country. In the first instance a court allowed (heavy) insults of politicans. The media scandalized the court decision (It was kind of a campaign in my opinion...). Then the highest court had to look at the case. It ruled that insults of politicians is a criminal act. I mean in the USA this must sound quite ridiculous. I mean everyone makes this "Let's go Brandon!" joke.

FIrst of all I obviously follow the ruling. Though I personally might have done another decision. Mild insults like "He is an asshole" should not be forbidden in my opinion. Sometimes it is just the truth. Sometimes people behave like assholes and I should have the right to call that out. I think the whole ruling was made with the consideration of violence against politicians. Especially local politicians have to endure a lot. But for me it is a huge difference between an insult and a threat of violence.

I don't want to make insane comparisons but I am a little bit scared of 1984. The EU also does a lot of regulation which I am not fully in favor of. Without a doubt I like the EU and my country profits a lot. But sometimes some decisions remind me of George Orwells dystopia.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: waitingforrest, T90-Alpha, vold3m0r† and 1 other person
vold3m0r†

vold3m0r†

May 13, 2021
we should critize and insult any politician that doesnt do their job and generally act like asshats.

not even going to talk about the US because its honestly becoming a handmaides tale at this point.

Reactions: locked*n*loaded, DynamicDepression, Hirokami and 1 other person
S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
In a free country you can insult politicians all you want, which is fine. If it is illegal in your country then you have a lot of limitations that imn the end hurt your country, in my opinion.

Reactions: locked*n*loaded
W

watchingthewheels

Enlightened
Jan 23, 2021
Should it be illegal? Nope.
Next question.

Reactions: DontplayGod, locked*n*loaded, waitingforrest and 2 others
Feeding Pigeons

Feeding Pigeons

Warlock
Aug 5, 2021
It should be legal to insult, openly harass, and to stop them from having any semblance of a peaceful life if they do not do their job.

• Yay!
Reactions: locked*n*loaded
Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
I would never even want to insult fine people like Biden, Trump, AOC, Graham etc.

You all need to get out of your mom's basements and try being sane while in charge of something. It's not as easy as it looks!

Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
Of course it shouldn't be illegal to mock politicians. Look into shows like Spitting Image or SNL for further proof of that. The worst ones should be open duck season.

Reactions: demuic
W

watchingthewheels

Enlightened
Jan 23, 2021
I would never even want to insult fine people like Biden, Trump, AOC, Graham etc.

You all need to get out of your mom's basements and try being sane while in charge of something. It's not as easy as it looks!
"But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother."- 1984

Reactions: ihopethisispainless and Angst Filled Fuck Up
Lullaby

Lullaby

🌙
Mar 9, 2022
All politicians just suck, I feel like they don't hear it enough.

Reactions: locked*n*loaded, Fragile, waitingforrest and 5 others
S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
All politicians just suck, I feel like they don't hear it enough.
I used to think that, but it's a mix. There are good politicians who have gone into this work for the right reasons and who do a lot of good things to help their constituents, but usually these aren't the ones who seek publicity. Of course these are3 polarized times, but as an independent I usually can see some good things on each side.

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
It should only be illegal if I agree with them. Otherwise, insulting them should be mandatory.

• Yay!
Reactions: Feeding Pigeons, Hirokami, chocolatebar and 1 other person
Imissyoumydarling

Imissyoumydarling

a very majestic chicken cat
May 7, 2022
Without the ability to insult them, I never would have discovered this hell of an interview

Q

Quiet Desperation

Lonely wanderer
Dec 7, 2020
It depends on the context and content. If it's just expressing disagreement, that's just basic freedom of expression. If you don't have that, you live in an autocracy where the "truth" is decided for you and politicians view free speech as a threat to their power.

When it crosses into the realm of conspiracy theories and lies that are used in a calculated way in mass media to brainwash people with false information, there's a great argument for taking measures to suppress it. Some European countries certainly figured that one out after WWII. In the US much of our population thinks that lies and truth should be equally protected, particularly when they think the lies benefit them.

Reactions: onlyanimalsaregood
chocolatebar

chocolatebar

Paragon
Jul 11, 2021
this is the kind of law that can be easily used to arrest innocent people.

• Aww..
Reactions: Feeding Pigeons, waitingforrest, demuic and 1 other person
whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
It should be illegal to BE a politician

Reactions: rationaltake, Fragile, watchingthewheels and 3 others
W

waitingforrest

Elementalist
Dec 27, 2021
I can't trust politicians, the saying that power corrupts has some truth to it.

Reactions: watchingthewheels
J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
There was this judgment some months ago in my country. In the first instance a court allowed (heavy) insults of politicans. The media scandalized the court decision (It was kind of a campaign in my opinion...). Then the highest court had to look at the case. It ruled that insults of politicians is a criminal act. I mean in the USA this must sound quite ridiculous. I mean everyone makes this "Let's go Brandon!" joke.

FIrst of all I obviously follow the ruling. Though I personally might have done another decision. Mild insults like "He is an asshole" should not be forbidden in my opinion. Sometimes it is just the truth. Sometimes people behave like assholes and I should have the right to call that out. I think the whole ruling was made with the consideration of violence against politicians. Especially local politicians have to endure a lot. But for me it is a huge difference between an insult and a threat of violence.

I don't want to make insane comparisons but I am a little bit scared of 1984. The EU also does a lot of regulation which I am not fully in favor of. Without a doubt I like the EU and my country profits a lot. But sometimes some decisions remind me of George Orwells dystopia.

You are right.

A few years ago, a doctor in Turkey likened the Turkisk president, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, to Gollum in "The Lord of the Rings", so the doctor was put to trila for insulting Erdogan, but the doctor has been freed, apparently. Some people are just so self-conscious.

• Informative
Reactions: Feeding Pigeons
onlyanimalsaregood

onlyanimalsaregood

Unlovable 💔 Rest in peace CommitSudoku 🤍
Mar 11, 2022
In my country, it isn't a crime to insult a politician, but if the insult is in his/her private field, even though he/she is considered a public person, he/she can ask for compensation in court through the right to image.

I agree. I think everyone has the right to free speech and to say what they think but it's not necessary to insult, not least because it's counterproductive.

Reactions: DynamicDepression
Fragile

Fragile

Broken
Jul 7, 2019
It should be mandatory to insult them.

• Yay!
Reactions: Feeding Pigeons, locked*n*loaded, watchingthewheels and 2 others
locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
It should always be legal to insult any of them. If someone can't take a few words of disparagement, then they shouldn't be in that position. If you can't say what you feel, then you aren't really free.

Sticks and stones can break my bones, but names will never hurt me.

Reactions: watchingthewheels and Feeding Pigeons