Joey

Joey

Enlightened
Jun 14, 2020
I'm debating if I should drive and get my license. I'm 26 and I don't even have my permit but driving itself just scares the shit out of me. One wrong mistake can cause drastic consequences and I don't even know if it's even worth it..

I have a bit of a learning disability and my reaction times are slow and that probably means that I'm probably not meant to be out in the road. This severely limits me and it's going to make my choices so difficult but I just hate everything about cars. Damn this makes me wish I was born in the Netherlands or some amazing country which I don't even have to depend on cars. Always cycling and having amazing public transportation.

What should I do?

Reactions: Fragile
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
Given what you said, my answer would be, maybe. It depends on how serious your conditions are. If they are severely debilitating to the point where you aren't able to safely operate a motor vehicle, then it would not be a good idea. However, if you are able to get around the slower reaction time as well as learn the necessary knowledge to safely operate a vehicle and effectively, then it may work out. My recommendation is to keep to lighter traffic and secluded areas, that way you would have less worry about accidents and what not.

Another benefit of having a drivers license is that it will allow you to use it as an official ID for certain things. Like if you are going to buy alcohol or cigarettes (not that I presume you drink or smoke), but you would be able to. If you needed to show ID for certain functions, events, or verify identity, you would have an official ID as well.

K

kkatt

Paragon
Nov 12, 2018
I'm debating if I should drive and get my license. I'm 26 and I don't even have my permit but driving itself just scares the shit out of me. One wrong mistake can cause drastic consequences and I don't even know if it's even worth it..

I have a bit of a learning disability and my reaction times are slow and that probably means that I'm probably not meant to be out in the road. This severely limits me and it's going to make my choices so difficult but I just hate everything about cars. Damn this makes me wish I was born in the Netherlands or some amazing country which I don't even have to depend on cars. Always cycling and having amazing public transportation.

What should I do?
I'm significantly older than you and just got my provisional license. Had one when I was 17,but my instructor kept putting his hand up my skirt so kinda let it drop. Like you,I'm very hesitant. The volume of traffic on the roads is frightening. Also,you could be the best,most attentive driver on the road,but there's a lot of complete idiots out there to contend with.
On one hand,I'd really like to be able to help out my parents more now they're getting older and having a license would be useful in that respect. But here,to even be eligible for the test,you need 40 hours of experience with an official instructor and there is a written test to pass too. So,it's going to cost a packet.
Then,once you've splashed out for a half decent vehicle,there's the cost of insurance,vehicle tax,MOT (vehicle road worthiness test) and then of course,fuel.
If you do decide to go for it,I suggest you think about an intensive course of lessons. Spread across one or two weeks,followed by a test (often including a guarantee that means if you fail,they will cover the cost of the next test). My daughter did this and said you don't forget things as you might having one lesson a week.

Fragile

Fragile

Broken
Jul 7, 2019
I have the same anxiety about driving and that's the reason why I never got my license, not to mention that I'm from a shit country where every tourist that I've met tells me that driving here is an absolute nightmare. Besides, I'm not going to bother with it now that I know that I don't want to stick around for many more years.

To me, driving is like cooking, at some point you are going to get get a burn no matter how good you are at it. The difference is that with driving, not always will it be your fault and there is a lot of confrontation since everyone thinks that absolutely nothing is their fault on the road.

I'd say only go for it if you absolutely need or want to.