cujoh

cujoh

autistic hikkineet
Feb 7, 2023
title is quite self explanatory. I'd like to tell someone like a family member how I've been feeling as i have nobody.
Is this a good idea? and if so, how do i go about things?

Reactions: Theresnoescape
dynastickitten

dynastickitten

Jan 12, 2024
"I've been feeling really suicidal lately and I think I need to talk to someone," is always a good place to start IMO

Reactions: ChronicPainExistent and Theresnoescape
T

Theresnoescape

Each year feels like 10
May 29, 2024
title is quite self explanatory. I'd like to tell someone like a family member how I've been feeling as i have nobody.
Everyone is different, but in my experience, which is only telling 1 person apart from a doctor, is that it's better to talk to people on here or keep it to myself. Haven't tried telling family so that could be a lot different.

Reactions: Aloneandinpain
Linda

Linda

Jul 30, 2020
It's a gamble. Whether it's a good idea depends very much on the family member and their level of maturity and empathy.
What you could do is tell them just a little and see how they respond. If they respond badly, you don't have to tell them any more. If they respond well, you can open up a bit more.

Reactions: ChronicPainExistent and Aloneandinpain
Felodese

Felodese

Student
Mar 31, 2024
It's a gamble. Whether it's a good idea depends very much on the family member and their level of maturity and empathy.
What you could do is tell them just a little and see how they respond. If they respond badly, you don't have to tell them any more. If they respond well, you can open up a bit more.

I agree. I'd say try turning to the person you trust the most or feel closest to. The person you'd feel most comfortable confiding in with other types of more personal problems.
And going easy can be saying something like "I haven't been feeling so good lately" or "I'm having kind of a hard time right now". And then, like the above comment says; if they react well, then you can take it from there.

If talking to family members doesn't work, perhaps a doctor or counselor would be a place to start. (If one is available to you, of course) At least they won't take what you tell them as personally as family members might.

Reactions: Linda
Linda

Linda

Jul 30, 2020
"If talking to family members doesn't work, perhaps a doctor or counselor would be a place to start. (If one is available to you, of course) At least they won't take what you tell them as personally as family members might."
I agree with that, and you could probably also consider talking to a member of the clergy. I'm atheist, and not at all sympathetic to religion, but some clergymen - not all - are empathic and used to hearing about people's problems.