incision

incision

Jul 29, 2022
id feel bad asking for any accommodations other than letting me take smoke breaks even though they already do. i just feel i should make them aware i'm different. functioning as a regular human being is the hardest thing for me. when i'm at work i don't talk, everybody there hangs out with each other i only go to work and go home. work itself is hard because i have shit memory, im distracted 99% of the time, and i can't be taught new things as i can't retain information much anymore. they want to cross train me as a server assistant and that means i have to now wear fancy clothes and go out on the floor among customers, whereas before i only work in kitchen. i can not do that.

i'm honestly scared to talk to them because idk what to say, as i'm rambling here. i just know they need to be aware of this and my anxieties, i have ocd, ptsd, psychotic symptoms, severe social anxiety, major depression, i panic on the way in every day and the whole time i'm there unless i bring weed with me. they know me and like me, im good at my job. since they've rehired me (after i quit for my mental health) i've been legitimately a great asset so i'm not worried i'll lose my job asking for a bit of slack. if you've ever had this sort of discussion with an employer how did it go?

• Hugs
Reactions: Endex, Someone123, Ginnn and 1 other person
Wilting Daisy

Wilting Daisy

Loves Me, Loves Me Not
Aug 15, 2022
Yes, I've had this conversation and have even known others who have done this as well. I have yet to hear of a negative experience.
If what you're struggling with becomes noticeable and impedes your work even a little, it's worth highly considering bringing it up to your boss as well as providing possible solutions that may help you (such as a break when you feel extremely overwhelmed). Even just making them aware will allow for more empathy in most cases, such as if/when you need to call out that day. Many employers are very accommodating with this, especially in the service industry.

• Hugs
Reactions: Someone123 and incision
western_heart

western_heart

trying to save ourself
May 23, 2021
If you decide to go through with this, hopefully your boss is more empathetic than mine

In the past I've had employers realize that I was a bit different, and I haven't had to have conversations about my needs. Some managers have been better than others. At a previous job I needed extra time off (medical leave) due to depression/dissociation, and the reaction to that varies. As long as I had valid paperwork filled out by a licensed clinician, my job was protected - but some coworkers thought I was bullshitting. And other bosses, I felt unsafe having personal conversations with. Regardless of how comfortable I am with someone in a position of power, once my dissociation gets bad enough, I struggle to communicate and stress overwhelms me. Not good.

I've asked my current boss for more instructions in writing, and for the most part haven't gotten them, he doesn't get it, and downplays my anxiety. He has a pattern of promising to do something but not following through, and making excuses when challenged on it. I haven't specifically told him that I have PTSD or other mental health issues and I am afraid to. I told him I was burnt out and he told me to work harder. He gets upset that I have different needs than the rest of the team. I've talked to his boss and to HR too, and neither ever followed up with me. Boss's boss quit, and the HR contact for my part of the company changed. My boss is particularly bad, he isn't good at understanding other people's emotions. I feel like I'm being forced to explain that I have mental illness. To make this easier I'm consulting with a therapist and possibly going to have them write a letter for me to provide to HR. if I request a medical accommodation they will tell my boss he HAS to start doing things in writing. The company guidelines already state that team decisions should be put in writing, and my boss is really bad at doing that

Reactions: incision
hamvil

hamvil

Wizard
Aug 29, 2022
id feel bad asking for any accommodations other than letting me take smoke breaks even though they already do. i just feel i should make them aware i'm different. functioning as a regular human being is the hardest thing for me. when i'm at work i don't talk, everybody there hangs out with each other i only go to work and go home. work itself is hard because i have shit memory, im distracted 99% of the time, and i can't be taught new things as i can't retain information much anymore. they want to cross train me as a server assistant and that means i have to now wear fancy clothes and go out on the floor among customers, whereas before i only work in kitchen. i can not do that.

i'm honestly scared to talk to them because idk what to say, as i'm rambling here. i just know they need to be aware of this and my anxieties, i have ocd, ptsd, psychotic symptoms, severe social anxiety, major depression, i panic on the way in every day and the whole time i'm there unless i bring weed with me. they know me and like me, im good at my job. since they've rehired me (after i quit for my mental health) i've been legitimately a great asset so i'm not worried i'll lose my job asking for a bit of slack. if you've ever had this sort of discussion with an employer how did it go?
Sorry for the strange question. I essentially have the same situation. Shit memory, distracted, cannot learn new things. I am in a different field bu the situation is the same. Does weed really help?

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you šŸ•Æļø Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
mental health aside, id love to open a bakery. and personally as an employer, id want to know. id want to be able to work within your capabilities, but it would also allow me to know where everyone else needs to pick up because if i didnt know you cant handle it, i might give you too much and then the whole team falls down. personally, as a good employer, id really want to know because things would just be better and easier for everyone that way.
cannot learn new things
not to show off but to show you how far ive fallen
i use to teach other students, while the teacher was still teaching. my boss had to tell me to basically shut up because i had all the answers, and i slept through the meeting. point is i use to pick up on things really quickly and since doing weed i struggle, badly. needing to repeat things up to 5-10 times before i catch on now. just letting you know weed, might not be the best option for you.

western_heart

western_heart

trying to save ourself
May 23, 2021
I am about to talk to HR at my employer about my difficulties, and how my boss has not been empathetic to my needs so far & hasn't made much effort to accommodate me. I wrote up everything and sent it in an email to my HR representative and we have a time set to chat about it. I am scared, but it is a relief just to have this meeting scheduled. Every day I went without taking action was making me feel worse.

I don't know how it will go, it could end with me getting fired. But I am trying