• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

puppy9

puppy9

au revoir
Jun 13, 2019
Guys, I'm 26 and got no college degree.
Should I take one , and if so what major should I venture in? I'm afraid of social interaction. I've been to college before but quit just after a few days. At 26, study loan ; is it worth it? I heard of age discrimination at work places, and I'm worried after I poured in all the vigor into studying ; they will never hire me, and I'll be buried in a deep hole of debt. Please advise me on this. I just don't want to exacerbate my mental health further.:'(

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Tortured_empath, ZomGuy, not_a_robot and 1 other person

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
I was baited by the title... Oh hey. I'm a guy too, 24, and guess what? Also no college degree, hahaha!

• Hugs
Reactions: not_a_robot and puppy9
puppy9

puppy9

au revoir
Jun 13, 2019
I was baited by the title... Oh hey. I'm a guy too, 24, and guess what? Also no college degree, hahaha!
Sorry for the clickbait. Is it against the rules? Again I'm sorry.:hug:

• Hugs
Reactions: 262653

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
Sorry for the clickbait. Is it against the rules? Again I'm sorry.:hug:

Oh, its totally fine. I just didn't read the grey line. You know, grey lines...

• Hugs
Reactions: puppy9
J

JoeFailure

Mage
Apr 29, 2019
You guys are both super young.

The only perk that comes with being a 35 year old failure is I now know every mistake I've ever made and can help the youth on their paths.

Go to college if there's a specific route you want to go. Not all careers need them. If you don't know, get a job now and be smart with your money and you can build a good life, or with your savings you can always go back to school if you do figure out something specific.

• Hugs
Reactions: AutumnEmbers, Orin and puppy9
Orin

Orin

Experienced
Apr 16, 2019
Try to find a career that has minimal contact with other people, then find a college course that is relevant to that field.

Though personally, i'm a bit wary of the notion of going to college. I think money is better spent on trade school.

Reactions: not_a_robot and puppy9
puppy9

puppy9

au revoir
Jun 13, 2019
You guys are both super young.

The only perk that comes with being a 35 year old failure is I now know every mistake I've ever made and can help the youth on their paths.

Go to college if there's a specific route you want to go. Not all careers need them. If you don't know, get a job now and be smart with your money and you can build a good life, or with your savings you can always go back to school if you do figure out something specific.
Thanks for the advice.
I'm socially anxious and not sure I can hold onto a job. Maybe ctb is my only retirement plan.
Try to find a career that has minimal contact with other people, then find a college course that is relevant to that field.

Though personally, i'm a bit wary of the notion of going to college. I think money is better spent on trade school.
Trade school sounds awesome and I like working with my hands. Do I need a lot of social contacts while working and studying?

Last edited:
J

JoeFailure

Mage
Apr 29, 2019
Thanks for the advice.
I'm socially anxious and not sure I can hold onto a job. Maybe ctb is my only retirement plan.

You can, you just have to find the right one. It might suck for a while but believe me, take your lumps now and you really can have a happy life.

I was telling someone last night, I wish someone had told me this when I was young..."If you do what's hard, your life will eventually become easy. If you do what's easy...your life will always be hard."

Do the work now and things will likely become easier later.

• Hugs
Reactions: Orin, 262653 and puppy9

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
If we combine the the first three avatar letters we get... xD No thanks, coincidence, but I appreciate your gesture.

puppy9

puppy9

au revoir
Jun 13, 2019
You can, you just have to find the right one. It might suck for a while but believe me, take your lumps now and you really can have a happy life.

I was telling someone last night, I wish someone had told me this when I was young..."If you do what's hard, your life will eventually become easy. If you do what's easy...your life will always be hard."

Do the work now and things will likely become easier later.
How does it feel like to have that thought knocking on your mind? How is your situation now? If you don't mind. I always have this fear that everything will go awry.
If we combine the the first three avatar letters we get... xD No thanks, coincidence, but I appreciate your gesture.

I don't get it.

Last edited:
Orin

Orin

Experienced
Apr 16, 2019
Trade school sounds awesome and I like working with my hands. Do I need a lot of social contacts while working and studying?

I think there's trade school for graphic design.

Which reminds me: have you ever considered becoming a comic book artist? As far as i know they work from home and the only communication required is with the writer and/or editor.

puppy9

puppy9

au revoir
Jun 13, 2019
I think there's trade school for graphic design.

Which reminds me: have you ever considered becoming a comic book artist? As far as i know they work from home and the only communication required is with the writer and/or editor.
I'm bad at writing. Graphic design sounds promising.
Well I screwed up a bit, ignore the very first "B".
still lost, I'm not very smart.:hihi:

Last edited:
Reactions: Orin
J

JoeFailure

Mage
Apr 29, 2019
How does it feel like to have that thought knocking on your mind? How is your situation now? If you don't mind. I always have this fear that everything will go awry.

I don't get it.

Well I'm 35, make about 50k, have 3 grand in the bank and N in my fridge.

While the salary sucks for my age, it's actually not the biggest issue. If I had saved money and eventually stuck to a career, I'd be totally fine.

For me, my biggest regret is I didn't follow something meaningful, but that's different for everyone.

If you don't know what yours is yet, that's ok, just don't become a drifter. Work the jobs you can in the meantime, and please be smart with your money, that will save your life down the line if a passion for something formulates for you.

Or maybe you'll meet someone and work is just something you put up with to enjoy the rest of your life. I know people here who don't like the job but it pays the bills and builds the rest of their life and they're excited to get off and go home every day and to have fun, and that's OK too.

All you have to do is get started on something and save money. Certainly have fun, but don't blow it on stupid things you don't need.

Maybe my calling is to become an anti-failure coach. I may not know how to coach someone to get a six figure job, but I can definitely coach people on how not to end up here because of finances like me.

• Hugs
Orin

Orin

Experienced
Apr 16, 2019

No, i mean as an artist, not a writer. The bright side about being a comic book artist is no education is required. All you need is a portfolio.

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018

still lost, I'm not very smart.:hihi:
I don't think its a good idea to measure your wits by figuring out my silly remarks. The word is "JOB", just scrool around looking at the avatars.

not_a_robot

not_a_robot

"i hope the leaving is joyful, & never to return"
May 30, 2019
Thanks for the advice.

What Orin said. Trade schools will get you independently licensed, which will spare you from job interviews, but when you're self employed you will have to interact some with clients. School will be shorter and cheaper.
People who get massages usually don't want to talk. It's an easy trade license and you can make money fairly easily with minimal talking. The touching is not as scary as it seems, you control it, and it's better than slaving and socializing with twenty people in an office all day for less pay. You can minimize your human interaction to 10-20 hrs a week if you live cheaply. Set your own schedule, can't get fired for not smiling, that just makes them want you more.
Some of them will try to touch your peen. You can ignore it, charge extra for it, or shut it down, or enjoy it, whatever feels right. Or if you're in a totally legal place, you don't have to tolerate it at all.
It's not an easy life, you meet shady people but you needn't get involved with them. It can be a godsend for people who can't tolerate normal work environments, like autistics. Low light, low noise, minimal interaction, they just love you more and pay you more the less you talk. They never respect you, but who cares? They are not respectable themselves. Just never never never never never never let them speak to you about anything but the massage, never never never. Plug your ears with discreet earplugs so you just here (wah wah wah) when they talk , never ever let them speak to you.

Orin

Orin

Experienced
Apr 16, 2019
Btw 26 is by no means old! And i don't think there will be much age discrimination in the art industry. What matters most is your portfolio.

What i'm noticing in the comic book industry is the average age of artists is getting older and older. It's like an age range of 45-65 nowadays.

F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
Should I take one , and if so what major should I venture in? I'm afraid of social interaction. I've been to college before but quit just after a few days. At 26, study loan ; is it worth it? I heard of age discrimination at work places, and I'm worried after I poured in all the vigor into studying ; they will never hire me, and I'll be buried in a deep hole of debt. Please advise me on this. I just don't want to exacerbate my mental health further.:'(
Before u go to college please read the book called Worthless by Aaron Clarey. It's on amazon not too spendy. College is largely not worth it these days because the government has corrupted the entire education system and the economy. So you will be learning propaganda and if u pick a worthless major you're goin to be left in debt instead of being able to go on to have a decent living standard.

• Hugs
Reactions: puppy9, not_a_robot and Orin
cornflowerblue

cornflowerblue

Mage
Feb 18, 2019
Make a list of what jobs you'd want first. Then go to job listing websites and look how many job postings are open, how much the jobs pay, what degrees are needed, etc.

After you find the list of degrees, look what universities offer them. Compare the cost of the degree with the difference in income you'd make when getting the new job. Research a lot whether the university offers good internship programs to make sure you get hired at the job.

In most cases, for-profit universities are NOT worth your money and they will just try to trick you into attending even though they do not lead to increased employment.
What country are you in? I can help find you some resources about deciding if college is worthwhile for your personal situation, and some programs to help with costs.

Reactions: memento_mori, puppy9 and Orin
not_a_robot

not_a_robot

May 30, 2019
Go to FPO University.

• Love
Reactions: puppy9 and 262653
cornflowerblue

cornflowerblue

Mage
Feb 18, 2019
This forum has info about how to get a very cheap degree ($5k or less for a 4-year bachelors): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/

Some info can be used to transfer up to 2 years of free/cheap credit to a prestigious university.

If you use the forums instructions for a free or very cheap degree, it won't be the most prestigious or reputable but the total cost for a bachelors will be less than the cost for one semester at a shitty for-profit school that doesn't have proper accreditation.

not_a_robot

not_a_robot

May 30, 2019
Btw 26 is by no means old! And i don't think there will be much age discrimination in the art industry. What matters most is your portfolio.

What i'm noticing in the comic book industry is the average age of artists is getting older and older. It's like an age range of 45-65 nowadays.
the old man profile pic confused me.

Reactions: Final Escape, puppy9 and Orin
cornflowerblue

cornflowerblue

Mage
Feb 18, 2019
I always assume profile pics aren't of the person themselves. But who knows, maybe yours is also a self portrait :p

Reactions: Final Escape and puppy9
puppy9

puppy9

au revoir
Jun 13, 2019
Go to FPO University.

lol
Well I'm 35, make about 50k, have 3 grand in the bank and N in my fridge.

While the salary sucks for my age, it's actually not the biggest issue. If I had saved money and eventually stuck to a career, I'd be totally fine.

For me, my biggest regret is I didn't follow something meaningful, but that's different for everyone.

If you don't know what yours is yet, that's ok, just don't become a drifter. Work the jobs you can in the meantime, and please be smart with your money, that will save your life down the line if a passion for something formulates for you.

Or maybe you'll meet someone and work is just something you put up with to enjoy the rest of your life. I know people here who don't like the job but it pays the bills and builds the rest of their life and they're excited to get off and go home every day and to have fun, and that's OK too.

All you have to do is get started on something and save money. Certainly have fun, but don't blow it on stupid things you don't need.

Maybe my calling is to become an anti-failure coach. I may not know how to coach someone to get a six figure job, but I can definitely coach people on how not to end up here because of finances like me.
Thanks for the wise insights. I really appreciate it. I'll always keep your advice in mind when I'm hunting for jobs.:hug:
I'm a Richard Dawkins fan.:smiling:

Last edited:
Reactions: Final Escape
J

Jean Améry

Enlightened
Mar 17, 2019
If you live in the US and will have to accrue huge student debt loans in my opinion you should only pick something that will be lucrative enough to pay off those loans in a reasonable amount of time and will virtually guarantee you employment.

This would limit the field to the natural sciences, engineering, medicine/biomedical/farmaceutical sciences and business studies. If you're good with numbers pick one of those depending on your preference and skills.

If you're not into that learn a trade. Picking a major that has a proven trackrecord of high unemployment and low to medium income is a waste of time and money imo. Most things can be learned by oneself through the internet and libraries: there's no need to drown oneself in debt just to get a useless piece of paper that says you hold a bachelor or master's degree in XYZ. If you're not getting paid handsomely for the degree/skills acquired (i.e. the reward for hard work) it's not worth the bother in my opinion.

Alternatively you can always wait for the next US elections and hope Bernie Sanders will win and make higher education completely free of charge.

If you live in another country it all depends on how much tuition is.

puppy9

puppy9

au revoir
Jun 13, 2019
Make a list of what jobs you'd want first. Then go to job listing websites and look how many job postings are open, how much the jobs pay, what degrees are needed, etc.

After you find the list of degrees, look what universities offer them. Compare the cost of the degree with the difference in income you'd make when getting the new job. Research a lot whether the university offers good internship programs to make sure you get hired at the job.

In most cases, for-profit universities are NOT worth your money and they will just try to trick you into attending even though they do not lead to increased employment.

What country are you in? I can help find you some resources about deciding if college is worthwhile for your personal situation, and some programs to help with costs.
How about quality control engineer, the job openings are plentiful.I'm from a third world country.I'm afraid to reveal my origin because religion plays a role in running the country. Sorry
Before u go to college please read the book called Worthless by Aaron Clarey. It's on amazon not too spendy. College is largely not worth it these days because the government has corrupted the entire education system and the economy. So you will be learning propaganda and if u pick a worthless major you're goin to be left in debt instead of being able to go on to have a decent living standard.
Damn never thought it that way. Thanks

None of my art is original sadly. The term starving artist, question the prospect of this field because I'm not a creative genius.
I don't think its a good idea to measure your wits by figuring out my silly remarks. The word is "JOB", just scrool around looking at the avatars.
I get it now, damn I'm so slow, probably college is a bad idea lol.

Last edited: