W

whatnow-whatnever

Sep 13, 2023
As a Canadian, I'm lucky enough to live in a country with a Medical Assistance in Dying program. I don't have a physically terminal condition so I'm not currently eligible for the program. However, they seem to be intending to open it to mental health applicants in march of next year. Should I play it out until then for a program that I might not even be able to get into, or take a risker way out now (probably jumping)? It also feels sort of morally off to commit suicide via a dedicated government institution, but I'll take it if I can get it.

Reactions: edu0z
J

J&L383

Arcanist
Jul 18, 2023
Strongly advise you don't jump! (It may not work and it won't feel good and it will leave a mess). It may feel like a long time but six months will go by quickly I would encourage you to wait. Even if it somehow feels morally off to you, I would take the more guaranteed method of a government assisted suicide. We don't have that anywhere in the states, and I doubt that will change anytime soon. I believe that Canada is ahead of this in that respect. (And more in line with the few countries in Europe with similar legislation).

Reactions: UnwillingSavior, whatnow-whatnever and edu0z
edu0z

edu0z

carried away by a moonlight shadow
Aug 25, 2021
Why is it immoral to do it through a government institution?

Reactions: raindrop9
huphup

huphup

Student
Dec 2, 2023
I'm also a fellow Canadian. I would say wait, but don't anticipate your application to be accepted a month or 2 after, let's say May. The new legislation is going to take time to become established. Not every doctor is going to be on board with this.

Based on what I know, mental illnesses will be under track 2, meaning death is not reasonably foreseeable. You will need to get two assessments from different psychiatrists (seems like they can't be GPs for mental illness) and have to wait at least 90 days from when you start your assessments. I think it's going to take a bit of time for you to get accepted. How much longer do you think do you can cope? I'm not saying to go etiher way, but also realize this will take time and I would assume longer than 6 months, especially when things are starting out. If you wanna go MAID earlier on, be prepared to have to find a psych in other cities or even provinces (if you live in a small one).

W

whatnow-whatnever

Sep 13, 2023
Thanks for the info. Finding psychiatrists shouldn't be that hard hopefully, but I'll need to do some thinking about the year or so ahead to gauge how long I'd be able to wait it out. Is there anywhere online that I could see the official explanation for how it'll work? I poked around on the webpage a bit but I couldn't find the specifics.