Should one make a failed attempt a secret?

• Not at all.

Votes: 22 61.1%
  • Yes, nobody should know and if someone discovers one should refuse to talk about it.

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Just from strangers but one should be open about a failed attempt with close ones.

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Don't tell unless someone asks and it's a close person.

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Something else

Votes: 3 8.3%

• Total voters
DoNotLet2

DoNotLet2

Wizard
Oct 14, 2019
Hello
This got me thinking https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/how-do-people-treat-you-after-a-failed-attempt.50141/
Should I be ashamed that I failed to ctb one? Should I hide it? Should I hide that I'm officially considered insane? Or maybe I should hide it just from the strangers?

• Hugs
Reactions: KleinerWolf and 262653
FlyMe2TheMoon

FlyMe2TheMoon

I'm just so tired.
Sep 30, 2020
There's no shame in failing to CTB. Lots of things can go wrong. It's a very brave thing to even attempt to CTB.

Generally, telling people you want to/are going to/have attempted to CTB isn't a good idea. It could make any future attempts incredibly difficult, and depending on the circumstances, might even get you put in a mental hospital.

Reactions: JackieInTheBox, Stick, GreenTree and 2 others
ecmnesia

ecmnesia

the only thing humans are equal in is death
Aug 30, 2020
No, you shouldn't be ashame, cbt is harder than it looks. If I were you I'd hide it, cause I wouldn't want people to look me different or keep and eye on me to prevent me from trying again. Depends on what you want i guess.

Reactions: Stick and _Minsk
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
I used to wonder that a few weeks ago and it's true, some people treat you different (they give you a "this-guy-sucks-and-might-CTB-again" look and some others won't leave you alone (both peacefully and physically) because they're scared you'll CTB again) but some of them, my parents for example, really want me to live and wish me the best. Although they're still afraid of me catching the bus whenever I live alone again or they leave the house for some hours.

I picked "Not at all" because it was my f****ing decision and I failed, so what? People fail on a lot of things throughout life. I might live, I might try it again but this very time I couldn't CTB and failed. It doesn't matter the way people treat me, I'll find a way. Either I'll keep on living or I'll die. I see it that way and feel no shame at all.

Reactions: Stick
XYZ

XYZ

I just can’t get these damn wrists to bleed
Jul 22, 2020
1. Should I be ashamed that I failed to ctb one?
2. Should I hide it?
3. Should I hide that I'm officially considered insane?

1. No. You should be kind to yourself and show yourself compassion for going through so much pain that you considered ending your life.

2. It is up to you if you want to share with others the fact that you attempted suicide. There is no right or wrong here. They only thing that exists, is your personal decision as to whether you want to disclose this or not.

3. Your medical records are private. You are under no obligation to discuss your health issues with anyone, if you don't want to.

I am sorry you are suffering :hug:

Reactions: Eurus, Stick and _Minsk
DoNotLet2

DoNotLet2

Wizard
Oct 14, 2019
Wow you guys consider me brave it's very nice of you :P
@FlyMeToTheMoon11
In my personal case they don't care and they are very unlikely to stop me but besides you're right.

@ecmnesia
If I tell them it''s mostly to check out their reaction. Whether they will hate me or ignore it...

@WornOutLife
They do treat you differently but they quickly forget XD

@XYZ thank you but idk how to be empathetic for myself and three no, my dumb school knows more than they should know. I will end school soon though ^^

• Hugs
Reactions: XYZ and Stick
KleinerWolf

KleinerWolf

Account Wipe.
Apr 30, 2020
Nothing is for certain, right?

Reactions: 262653 and disabledandhopeless
Wayfaerer

Wayfaerer

JFMSUF
Aug 21, 2019
No but you shouldn't be open with it either.

Reactions: DoNotLet2

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
Should one make a failed attempt in secret?
I'm certainly not going to inform the health workers about my attempts because I don't see any potential benefits (for me) from that. And considering the general view on suicide, I'm not going to inform any randos either.
I take it that you consider telling others as an option at least. What are the potential benefits and/or losses that you see from telling others about your attempt?

Nothing is for certain, right?
Absolutely.

• Hugs
Reactions: KleinerWolf