favregret

favregret

Aug 6, 2024
i have a 12 gauge shotgun with 00 buckshot ammunition. looking at WHERE to shoot. obviously the head, but in the mouth facing up? back? side of head? under chin? does it even matter?

Reactions: Temporal_Anchorite and Kusogaki
Agon321

Agon321

I use google translate
Aug 21, 2023
It is recommended to shoot at this point in the head:

I've seen some people put the gun in their mouth.
Others shot through the side of their head.

I honestly don't know which is better.
The most important thing is to aim towards that point on the graphic.

Reactions: Mateira, Temporal_Anchorite, SackOfCrap445 and 4 others
Upvote 0
locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
The most effective way to assure death via shotgun is to make sure to "take out" the brain stem. The most assured way of doing that is via the mouth.

Keeping in mind no method is 100% guaranteed, according to the following chart from "lostallhope", death by shotgun has the highest efficacy of any other method. The aftermath will definitely be gruesome, though.

Attachments

• 1722977448603.jpeg
    1722977448603.jpeg
    65.6 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Mateira, iloveloving, Temporal_Anchorite and 5 others
Upvote 0
GuessWhosBack

GuessWhosBack

The sun rises to insult me.
Jul 15, 2024
The most effective way to assure death via shotgun is to make sure to "take out" the brain stem. The most assured way of doing that is via the mouth.

View attachment 147169
Keeping in mind no method is 100% guaranteed, according to the following chart from "lostallhope", death by shotgun has the highest efficacy of any other method. The aftermath will definitely be gruesome, though.

View attachment 147171
Something I don't understand about that table is how the researchers obtained the values in the Time column.
In what universe does a shotgun blast to the head take 1.7 minutes (102 seconds) to kill a person??
A jump from a fatal height taking 4 and a half minutes??

Edit: I read the wayback machine version of the site carefully, it seems the value is an estimate for the entire procedure. A bit pointless really... especially since it lists getting run over by a train as taking 18 minutes.

Upvote 0
locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
Something I don't understand about that table is how the researchers obtained the values in the Time column.
In what universe does a shotgun blast to the head take 1.7 minutes (102 seconds) to kill a person??
A jump from a fatal height taking 4 and a half minutes??

Edit: I read the wayback machine version of the site carefully, it seems the value is an estimate for the entire procedure. A bit pointless really... especially since it lists getting run over by a train as taking 18 minutes.
All good and valid questions. I guess the only thing I could *surmise* from it is that life doesn't just "turn off" like a light switch turns off a light. There is still blood and "messengers" that were delivered to various organs and tissues in the body. Maybe a better example would be this:

I was with my mom when she passed. She was under Hospice care. I woke up and went over to check on her. I could see her breathing was quite rapid. She was unconscious. I knew that "this" was it, that she was dying. I held her hand. Eventually, her breathing stopped. Her heart, though, kept on beating, for what I would say, was at least a minute after her breathing ceased. Maybe even a little longer.

• Aww..
  • Love
Reactions: JustAnotherSadMan, Uninfluential_Karma and GuessWhosBack
Upvote 0
Z

zengiraffe

Feb 29, 2024
Not under the chin. That will just blow your face off. It's the most common mistake in failed firearm suicide attempts. Perfect aim matters if you're using something weak like a .22 handgun, but a 12 gauge shotgun gives you a massive margin of error, so as long as you're aiming at your brain it will get the job done. Through the roof of your mouth, the side of your head, or the back of your head doesn't matter that much imo. I plan to do it aiming the shotgun into the roof of my mouth, somewhere between the hard palate and soft palate, which should angle the barrel to be pointing at my midbrain, near where the brainstem connects and where all vital functions like breathing and heartbeat are handled. The expected result is that it will completely blow my brain out of my head. This is called a kronlein shot in case you wanna google it.

• Informative
Reactions: Mateira, JustAnotherSadMan, Temporal_Anchorite and 4 others
Upvote 0
S

SackOfCrap445

Jul 27, 2024
Not under the chin. That will just blow your face off. It's the most common mistake in failed firearm suicide attempts. Perfect aim matters if you're using something weak like a .22 handgun, but a 12 gauge shotgun gives you a massive margin of error, so as long as you're aiming at your brain it will get the job done. Through the roof of your mouth, the side of your head, or the back of your head doesn't matter that much imo. I plan to do it aiming the shotgun into the roof of my mouth, somewhere between the hard palate and soft palate, which should angle the barrel to be pointing at my midbrain, near where the brainstem connects and where all vital functions like breathing and heartbeat are handled. The expected result is that it will completely blow my brain out of my head. This is called a kronlein shot in case you wanna google it.
Do you know if any research into whether kronlein shots are painless or not? I haven't been able to find anything

Upvote 0
Z

zengiraffe

Feb 29, 2024
Do you know if any research into whether kronlein shots are painless or not? I haven't been able to find anything
shooting yourself in the brain is painless because you either die immediately or go unconscious immediately and then die in a few minutes due to blood loss or brain swelling. in a kronlein shot the brain entirely leaves the skull, it's absolutely instant death, no time to feel pain.

Reactions: SackOfCrap445, b9km5 and pthnrdnojvsc
Upvote 0
pthnrdnojvsc

pthnrdnojvsc

Extreme Pain is much worse than people know
Aug 12, 2019

Would 00 buckshot penetrate my skull from the side behind the ear aiming at vraunstem at 1600 fps?

which one more likely to blow my brain out of my head from inside the mouth ? this 1900 fps 385 grain slug 12 gauge :
would this one penetrate the skull from the side of the head

or this 2000 fps 300 grain. it's for rifled barrels. i have a smooth barrel . would it work in a smooth barrel
would this one penetrate from the side and blow my head apart :

Upvote 0
Z

zengiraffe

Feb 29, 2024
Would 00 buckshot penetrate my skull from the side behind the ear aiming at brainstem at 1600 fps?
I'm not a firearms expert but yeah, I'm pretty sure this will obliterate your head.

this 1900 fps 385 grain slug or this 2000 fps 300 grain?
Pro tip, you can determine an ammo's damage potential by calculating its muzzle energy using its weight and speed. Here's a site where you can plug in the weight and speed to get muzzle energy: http://www.ballistics101.com/muzzle_energy_calc.php

385 gr @ 1900 fps => 3086 ft-lbs of energy
300 gr @ 2000 fps => 2664 ft-lbs of energy

The first choice is going to do more damage. However, both choices are already total overkill. A 9mm round to the brain is enough to kill, and the muzzle energy for many 9mm ammo types and brands is around 300 ft-lbs. A 12 gauge shotgun is going to get you at least 2000+ ft-lbs for slugs and that's 7x more powerful than a 9mm handgun.

It's a little bit weird to shoot a sabot slug out of a smooth barrel shotgun, you're really only suppose to shoot those out of rifled barrel shotguns. The main reason is you lose a ton of accuracy over distance if shooting a sabot slug out of a smooth barrel, but since you're planning to take a shot at point blank range you don't care about that, but then again there might be other reasons not to do it and I'm not enough of a firearms expert to know what those might be. Anyway, just buy regular slugs, they'll get the job done.

• Informative
Reactions: Temporal_Anchorite
Upvote 0
JustAnotherSadMan

JustAnotherSadMan

Optimistic 2% of the time
Sep 16, 2024
Thank you for the info, this will be invaluable to me.

Upvote 0