L

Lostone47

Jan 7, 2024
Went to the range for the first time ever today. I had bought a gun in 2018 after someone broke in my house but never actually used it. Almost ctb with it but backed out last second. Went to the range today for a lesson to see what it was like to fire one/potentially get one as a backup since I gave the one I tried to ctb with away.

All I have to say is you probably want to learn how to use the weapon before attempting anything with it. I know that might sound like common sense advice but I swear I had no idea about the recoil. I know for a fact now that I probably would have just blown the top of my skull off if I had attempted it before ever firing one.

Worndown

Worndown

Visionary
Mar 21, 2019
Yes. To not maim yourself or kill someone else, you need to have experience.

Reactions: rozeske
Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley

Just another lost soul
Jan 4, 2024
Went to the range for the first time ever today. I had bought a gun in 2018 after someone broke in my house but never actually used it. Almost ctb with it but backed out last second. Went to the range today for a lesson to see what it was like to fire one/potentially get one as a backup since I gave the one I tried to ctb with away.

All I have to say is you probably want to learn how to use the weapon before attempting anything with it. I know that might sound like common sense advice but I swear I had no idea about the recoil. I know for a fact now that I probably would have just blown the top of my skull off if I had attempted it before ever firing one.

I'm not very knowledgeable about guns, but at least going by what I have read, the recoil does not actually affect aim, or at least not on the first shot. The reason is because the bullet travels so fast that by the time the gun begins to recoil, the bullet has already exited the muzzle. So recoil only effects aim on follow-up shots that are done in quick succession (without pausing to re-aim). That being said, perhaps a bullet with a relatively slow velocity (e.g. .45 ACP) fired from a gun with a relatively long barrel (e.g. 6") could be affected by recoil. I'm not sure.

L

Lostone47

Jan 7, 2024
I'm not very knowledgeable about guns, but at least going by what I have read, the recoil does not actually affect aim, or at least not on the first shot. The reason is because the bullet travels so fast that by the time the gun begins to recoil, the bullet has already exited the muzzle. So recoil only effects aim on follow-up shots that are done in quick succession (without pausing to re-aim). That being said, perhaps a bullet with a relatively slow velocity (e.g. .45 ACP) fired from a gun with a relatively long barrel (e.g. 6") could be affected by recoil. I'm not sure.
I'm not sure if it would since it's point blank range but I just know firing a 45 made me go wtf I'm glad I didn't actually attempt this before knowing what its like to shoot.

Reactions: Guy Smiley