bearbrikk

bearbrikk

Listen to the voice in your head
May 2, 2024
Most people on here are so well spoken and intelligent.
Do you have any advise about life or how to interact with neurodivergent/neurotypical people?

Reactions: sserafim
F

Forveleth

I knew I forgot to do something when I was 15...
Mar 26, 2024
Although we're technically social animals, socializing takes practice. Some things to help:
  • Practice by doing. Talk to people. Type responses here. The more you use language, the better you will get with using it.
  • Listen to people. I mean really listen. You can absorb language patterns by listening to people. Also really listening to people and thinking about what they say exercises your brain and develops critical thinking skills.
  • Pause before you speak. Think about what you're going to say before you say it. Are your words going to convey the idea you want?
  • Read. Doesn't matter what subject. Just read. Books are a great way to expose yourself to new words and new ideas. Don't be afraid to pick books that may feel above your level. Take your time and work through it.
  • Expose yourself to new ideas. Read on subjects you don't know much about. Listen to arguments from people who disagree with your views on a topic. Talk to people (civilly) who don't see eye to eye with you.
The big takeaways are always listen, never stop learning, and stay away from echo chambers.

Reactions: ColorlessTrees, damyon, sserafim and 2 others
derpyderpins

derpyderpins

Normie Life Mogs
Sep 19, 2023
Although we're technically social animals, socializing takes practice. Some things to help:
  • Practice by doing. Talk to people. Type responses here. The more you use language, the better you will get with using it.
  • Listen to people. I mean really listen. You can absorb language patterns by listening to people. Also really listening to people and thinking about what they say exercises your brain and develops critical thinking skills.
  • Pause before you speak. Think about what you're going to say before you say it. Are your words going to convey the idea you want?
  • Read. Doesn't matter what subject. Just read. Books are a great way to expose yourself to new words and new ideas. Don't be afraid to pick books that may feel above your level. Take your time and work through it.
  • Expose yourself to new ideas. Read on subjects you don't know much about. Listen to arguments from people who disagree with your views on a topic. Talk to people (civilly) who don't see eye to eye with you.
The big takeaways are always listen, never stop learning, and stay away from echo chambers.
Very good takeaways. I would add that practicing - like practicing any skill - requires self reflection and evaluation. What specific weaknesses are you trying to work on?

For me, IRL, I have a tendency to mumble when I haven't spoken in the conversation for a while. Been working on that one for years. I also have a hard time jumping in at appropriate times when talking to more than one person, and tend to get caught up on parts of the conversation even after the flow has left that topic behind. (Like I had a comment in my head that's no longer relevant but I'm still fixated on it because I never got to say it.) I either have to keep working on these issues or accommodate them. It's an ongoing process.

Reactions: eatantz, ColorlessTrees, damyon and 3 others
leavingthesoultrap

leavingthesoultrap

(ᴗ_ ᴗ。)
Nov 25, 2023
As someone who's on the spectrum I have to mask 90 percent of time when interacting.
Start observing how other ppl communicate. Learn common phrases, jokes, mannerisms etc.
If you have a NT friend emulate them.
I am almost 30 and still not good at masking. I can only do it for a limited amount of time and then I burn out. Good luck.

Reactions: eatantz, damyon and sserafim