lyles

lyles

Student
Oct 13, 2021
These vary depending on the subject but I figured and hoped these may resonate with some people here.

"At the trial of G-d, we will ask: why did you allow all this? And the answer will be an echo: why did you allow all this?" by Ilya Kaminsky.

"Death is nothing at all. It does not count. I have only slipped away into the next room. Nothing has happened. Everything remains exactly as it was. I am I, and you are you, and the old life that we lived so fondly together is untouched, unchanged. Whatever we were to each other, that we are still. Call me by the old familiar name. Speak of me in the easy way which you always used. Put no difference into your tone. Wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow. Laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes that we enjoyed together. Play, smile, think of me, pray for me. Let my name be ever the household word that it always was. Let it be spoken without an effort, without the ghost of a shadow upon it. Life means all that it ever meant. It is the same as it ever was. There is absolute and unbroken continuity. What is this death but a negligible accident? Why should I be out of mind because I am out of sight? I am but waiting for you, for an interval, somewhere very near, just round the corner. All is well. Nothing is hurt, nothing is lost. One brief moment and all will be as it was before. How we shall laugh at the trouble of parting when we meet again!" by Henry Scott Holland.

(I know Henry's poem may be a tad controversial here, it just brings me comfort to think of this for my family.)

"My friend, dying, said do the hard thing first. Always do the hard thing and you will have a better day. The second thing will seem less hard. She didn't tell me what to do when everything seems hard." by Naomi Shihab Nye.

"To my siblings- I tried to find redemption and failed, forgive me. To my friends- the experience was harsh and I am too weak to resist it, forgive me. To the world- you were awfully cruel, but I forgive." by Sarah Hegazi.

If you have any, please feel welcome to share.

• Love
Reactions: Girl-shaped Wound, Euthanza, Everlong and 6 others
katagiri83

katagiri83

Like tears in rain
Jan 4, 2022
"Sometimes fate is like a small sandstorm that keeps changing directions. You change direction but the sandstorm chases you. You turn again, but the storm adjusts. Over and over you play this out, like some ominous dance with death just before dawn. Why? Because this storm isn't something that blew in from far away, something that has nothing to do with you. This storm is you. Something inside of you. So all you can do is give in to it, step right inside the storm, closing your eyes and plugging up your ears so the sand doesn't get in, and walk through it, step by step. There's no sun there, no moon, no direction, no sense of time. Just fine white sand swirling up into the sky like pulverized bones. That's the kind of sandstorm you need to imagine."

- by Haruki Murakami, Kafka on the Shore.

• Love
Reactions: Everlong, 1000winds, JonL666 and 2 others
hungry_ghost

hungry_ghost

جهاد
Feb 21, 2022
Fernando Pessoa

"The feelings that hurt most, the emotions that sting most, are those that are absurd - The longing for impossible things, precisely because they are impossible; nostalgia for what never was; the desire for what could have been; regret over not being someone else; dissatisfaction with the world's existence. All these half-tones of the soul's consciousness create in us a painful landscape, an eternal sunset of what we are."

Fernando Pessoa (The Book of Disquiet)

• Love
  • Aww..
Reactions: Everlong, Foresight, foreverfalling and 2 others
nosurpries

nosurpries

Jul 3, 2022
an excerpt from an old users note they left behind before ctb:

"As ridiculous as this sounds, what bothers me the most right now is that my passing will be tagged as the result of mental illness, chalked up with pity and scorn to a tragedy sad, preventable, and unnecessary. Whatever I try to write down to leave for my loved ones is inadequate; I know how they think, what they believe. They'll still think me irrational, still disagree, never understand.

Thing is, I don't disagree with the implication that this is not the only choice I have to make. This is not the only way out for me. I can certainly choose to remain alive, and probably with success. Society is horrid for the most part, yet I see the beauty that remains in it. It's almost as beautiful as sunlight on my face while I smoke a cigarette first thing in the morning, or the sweet, familiar smell of a dusty book. Or groaning ice sheets, which shatter into sparkling ice chips above the awesome might of a spring flood.

To put it much too simply: for me, it's a matter of costs versus benefits. Misery largely outweighs happiness, which occurs like a splatter of stars in the sky, the beautiful exception to the norm. I know life isn't like this for most people. Something inside me is missing. It's been missing for as long as I know. The will to live. Fear of death, of my own mortality. Interest in following the rules necessary to be a productive member of society. While I have so much empathy it physically hurts sometimes, I have little happiness. My baseline for it seems to be set at a bar far lower than most."

• Love
  • Aww..
Reactions: Girl-shaped Wound, Euthanza, Everlong and 4 others
katagiri83

katagiri83

Like tears in rain
Jan 4, 2022
an excerpt from an old users note they left behind before ctb:

"As ridiculous as this sounds, what bothers me the most right now is that my passing will be tagged as the result of mental illness, chalked up with pity and scorn to a tragedy sad, preventable, and unnecessary. Whatever I try to write down to leave for my loved ones is inadequate; I know how they think, what they believe. They'll still think me irrational, still disagree, never understand.

Thing is, I don't disagree with the implication that this is not the only choice I have to make. This is not the only way out for me. I can certainly choose to remain alive, and probably with success. Society is horrid for the most part, yet I see the beauty that remains in it. It's almost as beautiful as sunlight on my face while I smoke a cigarette first thing in the morning, or the sweet, familiar smell of a dusty book. Or groaning ice sheets, which shatter into sparkling ice chips above the awesome might of a spring flood.

To put it much too simply: for me, it's a matter of costs versus benefits. Misery largely outweighs happiness, which occurs like a splatter of stars in the sky, the beautiful exception to the norm. I know life isn't like this for most people. Something inside me is missing. It's been missing for as long as I know. The will to live. Fear of death, of my own mortality. Interest in following the rules necessary to be a productive member of society. While I have so much empathy it physically hurts sometimes, I have little happiness. My baseline for it seems to be set at a bar far lower than most."
@nosurpries, thank you for reposting this. it's bittersweet & powerful.

Reactions: Everlong and nosurpries
katagiri83

katagiri83

Like tears in rain
Jan 4, 2022
"Sometimes fate is like a small sandstorm that keeps changing directions. You change direction but the sandstorm chases you. You turn again, but the storm adjusts. Over and over you play this out, like some ominous dance with death just before dawn. Why? Because this storm isn't something that blew in from far away, something that has nothing to do with you. This storm is you. Something inside of you. So all you can do is give in to it, step right inside the storm, closing your eyes and plugging up your ears so the sand doesn't get in, and walk through it, step by step. There's no sun there, no moon, no direction, no sense of time. Just fine white sand swirling up into the sky like pulverized bones. That's the kind of sandstorm you need to imagine."

- by Haruki Murakami, Kafka on the Shore.

This is the second part of the quote, maybe someone can resonate, but sometimes the storm would never be over… :

"… And you really will have to make it through that violent, metaphysical, symbolic storm. No matter how metaphysical or symbolic it might be, make no mistake about it: it will cut through flesh like a thousand razor blades. People will bleed there, and you will bleed too. Hot, red blood. You'll catch that blood in your hands, your own blood and the blood of others.
And once the storm is over you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure, in fact, whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm you won't be the same person who walked in. That's what this storm's all about."

― by Haruki Murakami, Kafka on the shore.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Everlong and 1000winds
Everlong

Everlong

One last chance to turn it around
Sep 7, 2022
This whole damn song…
No One Knows ~ Queens of the Stone Age

"We get some rules to follow
That and this, these and those
No one knows
We get these pills to swallow
How they stick in your throat?
Tastes like gold
Oh, what you do to me
No one knows
And I realize you're mine
Indeed a fool am I
Indeed a fool am I
I journey through the desert
Of the mind with no hope
I follow
I drift along the ocean
Dead lifeboats in the sun
And come undone
Pleasantly caving in
I come undone
Indeed a fool am I
Indeed a fool am I
Heaven smiles above me
What a gift here below
But no one knows
The gift that you give to me
No one knows"

Reactions: katagiri83
SpaceBoyEvangef

SpaceBoyEvangef

"Gonna get you like a space boy!"
Aug 16, 2023
"Use once and destroy, Single servings of pain, A dose of emotion sickness I just can't shake." - Emotion Sickness (Queens Of The Stone Age), reminded me of the shit I went through, especially the "Use once and destroy" part.

Green Destiny

Green Destiny

Life isn't worth the trouble.
Nov 16, 2019
There are some song lyrics that I really resonate with, first one is from the song "Nights in White Satin" by the Moody Blue's.
"Gazing at people, some hand in hand. Just what i'm going through, they can't understand."

2nd set of lyrics are actually in my profile description below this comment, from the song "Black Hole Sun" by Soundgarden.
"Times are gone for honest men, sometime far too long for snakes."

The first set of lyrics are pretty self-explanatory, no one truly knows what i'm going through. While the 2nd set of lyrics say (at least to me) that the days of good honest nice caring people is no more and that selfish, hateful greedy people are all that's left now.