wellworthwit

wellworthwit

Jul 26, 2023
I have been taking sertraline and duloxetine daily for over a year now, 30mg/60mg respectively. I don't know if it's made any difference and I'm really tempted to stop taking them, which goes against my psychiatrist/therapists "orders".

Can anyone tell me what I should expect if I was to stop taking them tomorrow and just quit "cold turkey" (for a lack of a better term) ?

• Hugs
Reactions: whywere
W

whywere

Visionary
Jun 26, 2020
Howdy!

My advice is to NOT EVER go cold turkey on any SSRI as discontinuation syndrome might be hellish. Since you mentioned the fact that you have been taking them for over a year, the withdrawal could and most likely would be very unpleasant.

Everything from brain zaps, to seizures, headaches, insomnia and of course throw one's mood all over the place.

I have chronic pain, and just last week one of the doctors on my medical team prescribed Duloxetine for me. After reading about withdrawal aspect, I called her and said thanks but no thanks, we will have to find a different med.

I was going to take it for chronic pain, not for mental health.

I am on Celexa and when I forget it, I take it in the morning, by late afternoon I start feeling the effects of withdrawal and take it and in under an hour feel better.

I consider you a good friend, part of my family here on SS, as I have no family nor friends, and I do not want you to suffer.

Lots of well wishes and hugs to you,

Walter

PS if you want to go off of them, do it slowly over a period of time but not suddenly.

• Love
Reactions: Grimscribe, LittleJem, TapeMachine and 1 other person
wellworthwit

wellworthwit

Jul 26, 2023
Howdy!

My advice is to NOT EVER go cold turkey on any SSRI as discontinuation syndrome might be hellish. Since you mentioned the fact that you have been taking them for over a year, the withdrawal could and most likely would be very unpleasant.

Everything from brain zaps, to seizures, headaches, insomnia and of course throw one's mood all over the place.

I have chronic pain, and just last week one of the doctors on my medical team prescribed Duloxetine for me. After reading about withdrawal aspect, I called her and said thanks but no thanks, we will have to find a different med.

I was going to take it for chronic pain, not for mental health.

I am on Celexa and when I forget it, I take it in the morning, by late afternoon I start feeling the effects of withdrawal and take it and in under an hour feel better.

I consider you a good friend, part of my family here on SS, as I have no family nor friends, and I do not want you to suffer.

Lots of well wishes and hugs to you,

Walter

PS if you want to go off of them, do it slowly over a period of time but not suddenly.
Okay, I think I will discuss it with my therapist next week and see what she says. Thanks for the reply, hope you are doing well ❤️

• Love
L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
as said: do not under any circumstances quit cold turkey without 'weening off' or you are asking for horrendous withdrawal effects. It is also worth looking up how to ween off from patient advice on the web, as many professionals are not well informed or even pig ignorant of the weening process. Be informed before you discuss it with your medical 'professional' but obs let them think you defer to them. But do keep in mind your own safety.

• Hugs
Reactions: whywere and wellworthwit
L

LonelyTurkey

Each day is more exhasuting than the last
Jul 6, 2023
I started SSRI's once a little less than a year ago. I noticed them helping but didn't like the side effects.I only took them for 2 weeks and weaned off them for a couple days and the withdrawls sucked ass. I was depressed and just felt bad. If that was only 2 weeks I can't imagine what a year would be like. Consult your doctor if you want to stop taking them. Don't do it cold turkey.

• Hugs
wellworthwit

wellworthwit

Jul 26, 2023
Thanks for the advice guys, unfortunately I have plenty of experience of weening off drugs overall but thought maybe because I didn't "feel any difference" whilst taking these I could take a risk and try to quit cold turkey. I have definitely thought the better of that idea now though

• Hugs
Reactions: Tesha, LittleJem and whywere