BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
Hey guys. I've been doing a lot of thinking since yesterday and want to share my thoughts. Feel free to share your own thoughts, opinions, experiences.

Yesterday in therapy was horrible. I think what bothered me the most was being told that I can picture a future, I just choose not to. Being told that implied so many things. I hate the casual usage of this term, but I felt like I was being gaslighted. I wasn't sharing my thoughts as an excuse, it has been my perception since I was a child. Being told I choose not to imagine a future implies that I'm being lazy, making excuses, playing the victim. The response was rather mean and, as others pointed out on here, shows a real lack of empathy from the therapist.

After realizing what had bothered me the most, I turned to the Internet. Someone described this experience as a "sense of foreshortened future". They said it is common with trauma survivors. It blew my mind, I had never heard of this term before. I looked it up and found that this is an actual symptom of PTSD, according to the DSM-IV. Another source also attributed this phenomenon to depression, which makes sense. I have seen many other people with depression say that they struggle to imagine any sort of future, that it seems like they are not capable of doing so.

Realizing that this is an actual thing and not just in my head, a personal shortcoming, was insane. It's not my fault. I'm not a bad person because I have struggled with this for so long. It's a symptom of mental illness, and the impact that it has (especially if one has suffered from it for years), is devastating. Many other people seem to feel suicidal because of this sense of foreshortened future. How can you have any sort of hope, motivation, or belonging? Everything seems pointless, futile.

Furthermore, one source I looked at described this as a form of dissociation. A trauma response. If this is indeed a trauma response, and it seems to be the case since it was described as a symptom of PTSD in the DSM-IV, why do therapists seem to be unaware of this phenomenon? Why is the patient being blamed, even shamed, for something out of their control?

It's wonderful that the person who mentioned this was able to learn about it from their therapist. It's sad that others have to learn about this from the internet. I understand, based on my readings and personal experiences, that many therapists claim to be trauma-informed but are not. I understand that therapists are only human, but this lack of knowledge can be damaging.

Ramblings aside, I wanted to share the phenomenon of a "sense of foreshortened future" with you guys. I wonder if this is a huge reason I have felt suicidal since I was a child. Maybe sharing this can help someone else on here.

I think I've said enough. Always willing to hear what others have to say, so please don't hesitate to share your thoughts. And mods, if this is posted in the wrong forum, please have it moved.

• Hugs
Reactions: Good4Nothing, All washed up, Ghost2211 and 2 others
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
Very interesting. Ty 4 sharing.
It seems I also have a sense of foreshortened future !

• Hugs
Reactions: Good4Nothing, BitterlyAlive and mahakaliSS_MahaDurga
mahakaliSS_MahaDurga

mahakaliSS_MahaDurga

Visionary
Apr 2, 2020
  • Hugs
Reactions: Good4Nothing, All washed up, BitterlyAlive and 1 other person
OopsIdidntwanttodie

OopsIdidntwanttodie

Ctb by the 20th of December
Oct 11, 2020
Hey guys. I've been doing a lot of thinking since yesterday and want to share my thoughts. Feel free to share your own thoughts, opinions, experiences.

Yesterday in therapy was horrible. I think what bothered me the most was being told that I can picture a future, I just choose not to. Being told that implied so many things. I hate the casual usage of this term, but I felt like I was being gaslighted. I wasn't sharing my thoughts as an excuse, it has been my perception since I was a child. Being told I choose not to imagine a future implies that I'm being lazy, making excuses, playing the victim. The response was rather mean and, as others pointed out on here, shows a real lack of empathy from the therapist.

After realizing what had bothered me the most, I turned to the Internet. Someone described this experience as a "sense of foreshortened future". They said it is common with trauma survivors. It blew my mind, I had never heard of this term before. I looked it up and found that this is an actual symptom of PTSD, according to the DSM-IV. Another source also attributed this phenomenon to depression, which makes sense. I have seen many other people with depression say that they struggle to imagine any sort of future, that it seems like they are not capable of doing so.

Realizing that this is an actual thing and not just in my head, a personal shortcoming, was insane. It's not my fault. I'm not a bad person because I have struggled with this for so long. It's a symptom of mental illness, and the impact that it has (especially if one has suffered from it for years), is devastating. Many other people seem to feel suicidal because of this sense of foreshortened future. How can you have any sort of hope, motivation, or belonging? Everything seems pointless, futile.

Furthermore, one source I looked at described this as a form of dissociation. A trauma response. If this is indeed a trauma response, and it seems to be the case since it was described as a symptom of PTSD in the DSM-IV, why do therapists seem to be unaware of this phenomenon? Why is the patient being blamed, even shamed, for something out of their control?

It's wonderful that the person who mentioned this was able to learn about it from their therapist. It's sad that others have to learn about this from the internet. I understand, based on my readings and personal experiences, that many therapists claim to be trauma-informed but are not. I understand that therapists are only human, but this lack of knowledge can be damaging.

Ramblings aside, I wanted to share the phenomenon of a "sense of foreshortened future" with you guys. I wonder if this is a huge reason I have felt suicidal since I was a child. Maybe sharing this can help someone else on here.

I think I've said enough. Always willing to hear what others have to say, so please don't hesitate to share your thoughts. And mods, if this is posted in the wrong forum, please have it moved.

I must have the same thing as well lmao. Anyways, that was really eye opening. I think it would be really helpful to educate your therapist about that. I'm sorry your therapist made you feel that way :( You deserve to feel validated for feeling the way you do. Trauma is a bitch, and it sucks that people that have few experiences with it can easily voice their input. I hope you're feeling better now tho!

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: BitterlyAlive
mahakaliSS_MahaDurga

mahakaliSS_MahaDurga

Visionary
Apr 2, 2020
I can imagine what my life could be like if I invested any sort of effort into, well, anything; but I feel most things just aren't worth the trouble.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: All washed up and BitterlyAlive
BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
@WornOutLife @mahakali88 @OopsIdidntwanttodie Glad this post seems to have helped, and I want to reiterate that it's not your fault. I should tell my therapist about it, because maybe other clients won't be told such careless remarks. Maybe they didn't know that this seems to be a symptom.
I feel most things just aren't worth the trouble.
Me too.

Reactions: mahakaliSS_MahaDurga
OopsIdidntwanttodie

OopsIdidntwanttodie

Ctb by the 20th of December
Oct 11, 2020
I can imagine what my life could be like if I invested any sort of effort into, well, anything; but I feel most things just aren't worth the trouble.

you never know until you try ;)

Reactions: All washed up and mahakaliSS_MahaDurga
Good4Nothing

Good4Nothing

Unlovable
May 8, 2020
I must have this, too, because I'm 48 and have nothing, because I never planned for the future, because I never believed I had one.

• Hugs
Reactions: All washed up, BitterlyAlive and mahakaliSS_MahaDurga
mahakaliSS_MahaDurga

mahakaliSS_MahaDurga

Visionary
Apr 2, 2020
I must have this, too, because I'm 48 and have nothing, because I never planned for the future, because I never believed I had one.
I never expected to live this long.

• Hugs
Reactions: Good4Nothing and BitterlyAlive
BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
It's a painful thing to think about. :( I'm sorry.

• Hugs
Reactions: Good4Nothing and mahakaliSS_MahaDurga
MrBlue

MrBlue

Arcanist
Jul 1, 2020
Thank you for sharing, and I'm sorry your therapist upset you. You'd think if they wanted to explore/challenge your position they would've phrased far differently. I actually tend to ruminate on my future, or lack of one, which makes planning for it seem kind of pointless if I don't plan to get to that point. tbh I thought I'd be dead years ago.

• Hugs
Reactions: BitterlyAlive
BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
Thank you for sharing, and I'm sorry your therapist upset you. You'd think if they wanted to explore/challenge your position they would've phrased far differently. I actually tend to ruminate on my future, or lack of one, which makes planning for it seem kind of pointless if I don't plan to get to that point. tbh I thought I'd be dead years ago.
I'm wondering if the retort was phrased like that to try and get a rise out of me. In therapy I tend to be very blank. Also, if therapists view me as a difficult client like I view myself, maybe that's why they met me with such a response. Idk.

It's a weird place to be in, ruminating about the future (anxiety in my case), yet never being able to truly picture one. It doesn't make sense. At this point I don't expect anyone to help me figure it out though, at least no one in a professional sense. Your last sentence resonates with me - I also thought (hoped) that I would be dead years ago.

Reactions: MrBlue