Baskol1

Baskol1

No life, no problems
Aug 11, 2019
Why do some people say that the hard suicide methods, like jumping, hanging, or train are selfish? Dont they realize that sometimes the hard methods are the only one, because for the soft methods you need things like cyanide which are hard to get. And the harder the government suicide makes, the harder and gruesome will the methods get. Because people want to be absolutely sure that they will die. If the peaceful way out is forbidden, then we choose the hard way out. What do you think are there selfish suicide methods?

Reactions: Marz
LifeOver

LifeOver

Professional Suicide Attempter
Jul 23, 2019
Well some suicide methods can be considered selfish if they harm others. For example, CO or S2O can harm others if you do not leave a note indicating that the area has toxic gas. Jumping can be selfish if you do it off a building and accidentally crush a little kid below. I would argue that hanging is not selfish because you are not harming anyone else in the process. Train is kind of on the borderline.

I know that the best and most peaceful methods are restricted, but we can definitely leave this world while preventing physical harm to others. Leave a note if you use a toxic gas and be sure to pick a remote area when you jump. As long as your method takes only your own life, then it's acceptable, in my opinion.

Yoffi

Yoffi

I can't dance, I want to dance
Aug 8, 2019
In my opinion, there is no such thing as "selfish suicide", there is nothing selfish about pursuing your own peace/tranquility and happiness.
people saying otherwise in the vast majority of cases have never experienced suicidal tendencies themselves and are just repeating what others have said

Reactions: deathislove
Baskol1

Baskol1

No life, no problems
Aug 11, 2019
Yes harming others is obvously wrong, but i didnt mean that.

Soul

Soul

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
Apr 12, 2019
Yes harming others is obvously wrong, but i didnt mean that.

But that's what people mean when we say some methods are self-centered and wrong. Jumping in front of a train or auto, jumping from height anywhere there are people below, or using gasses without proper precautions are the methods people call selfish.

As @LifeOver wrote, people don't say that about hanging, unless they mean that some methods require a discreet note on the door to call the police, so that innocent passers-by don't see things they'd rather not. But failing to leave a note like that is more thoughtless, or maybe angry, than selfish.

@Yoffi you'll find plenty of people here who share the views I've stated and have also endured every nuance of suicidal feeling there is to endure.

Some anti-choicers do of course say suicide is selfish, period, but the OP was asking about particular methods.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocksandsand