bov

bov

Arcanist
Aug 26, 2020
I'm curious about the rules regarding how/why threads get shut down.

I just read through an argument that broke out between people trying to convince OP not to set himself on fire and people claiming those people were being disrespectful in their approach.

Nothing seemed so out of hand as to close the whole thread though. What other threads do you guys remember have gotten closed?

Freedom of speech seems to hold a lot of value to the culture #onhere so it strikes me as interesting that people are ok with the mods holding that power.

(Personally I'm fine with it, I'm just curious).

Reactions: Viro_Major, TheGoodGuy, Deleted member 19654 and 2 others
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
So they don't necessarily shut down threads by the subject matter. It's often because certain subjects cause strong opinions or arguments between users.

Like the old train, vehicle, suicide by cop threads. There's a train megathread now and last time I checked it was still up. Self immolation is not taken very seriously here as I've seen with a previous thread I've made here.

It's not looked down upon as much as the other methods I mentioned, but it's generally a very rare act and seen as an outlier.

Reactions: Ghost2211, Fragile, TheGoodGuy and 2 others
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
There is no such thing as true freedom of speech. There is always an invisible line drawn in the sand. That line is determined by consensus opinion of what is acceptable to be talked about. There is compromise in all areas of life.

• Love
Reactions: Sensei, Ghost2211, Silvermorning and 3 others
mahakaliSS_MahaDurga

mahakaliSS_MahaDurga

Visionary
Apr 2, 2020
The thread was closed because it turned into a flame war (no pun intended).

• Hugs
Reactions: Disappointered, Ghost2211, Meditation guide and 3 others
TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Visionary
Aug 27, 2018
Train threads often get closed down which is so annoying since they don´t go against the rules of this forum and is a popular method, but they get closed down because of the attack from people who think it´s morally wrong. But if we are to respect everyone´s opinions in those threads, OP could mention that he/she already knows how it possibly could impact the train driver and if people still feel they need to bash a person for having no other option left the mods should just delete those comments because OP is looking for answers so he/she shouldn´t be punished by having their thread removed the point of this site is to help people find a way out of existence if they have no other choice so by removing the train threads in particular the OP´s of those threads might end up doing something wrong and suffer a horrible death or survive with horrible injuries and the point of this site is to inform people

So the point I´m making is if a person make a train thread and doesn´t mention he/she knows how it may or may not impact the driver then I think it´s okay for people to mention it from an objective point of view personally I am tired of seeing all these morally right people bashing someone who is suffering with obvious no other way out just for their threads being closed down and who knows if these people who make train threads will just quit the forum and try something on their own instead of getting the proper information.

For the self-immolation threads especially the recent one I feel they´re making fun of suicidal people like in the recent one OP said he wanted to die a painful death because he was a masochist I mean come on it just feels disrespectful and mostly because I bet no one who makes these threads are ever going to use that method where as the train method is used by many.

Last edited:
Reactions: Silvermorning, StateOfMind and Brick In The Wall
Deleted member 17949

Deleted member 17949

Visionary
May 9, 2020
It really comes down to the immature behavior of some users. People are unable to voice their opinions without becoming hostile at times and that results in threads being shut because they are simply generating too much drama. Suicides by burning seem to be looked down on quite a lot here and the people that want to use them are given the "why would you pick such a dumb method you big dumb dumb" treatment.

Reactions: Meditation guide, x~Sophia~x, mahakaliSS_MahaDurga and 2 others
Good4Nothing

Good4Nothing

Unlovable
May 8, 2020
Reactions: mahakaliSS_MahaDurga, Deleted member 19654, Deleted member 1465 and 1 other person
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
Much of what I'm seeing posted in this is supportive evidence to my original claims. so word up on that! Case closed.

Viro_Major

Viro_Major

Rad maker
Jul 30, 2020
Freedom of speech seems to hold a lot of value to the culture #onhere so it strikes me as interesting that people are ok with the mods holding that power.

Interesting to point out. I'm not comfortable with any power applied and judged some condemnations as abusive a few times, but good enough, rarely, and not knowing any better (behind the scenes). But I'm extending this remark to the crowd. Lately, some sensitive topics have been ostracised and I regret it. Wish we could avoid to ban any subject, I don't see the progress in the action of covering discussions. I have the MAPS? topic in mind. Not wanting to, stumbled on a diverging POV, one out of the norm angle and I believe it had a value to be voiced. Then it got drowned within a bubbling whirlwind of defense

There is no such thing as true freedom of speech. There is always an invisible line drawn in the sand. That line is determined by consensus opinion of what is acceptable to be talked about. There is compromise in all areas of life.

Officially starting a compilation with Underscore quotes in a notebook with gold binding. This one deserves to appear just after the front cover, isolated on a full page with a special roman font.

Can a consensus be limited for approval ? I know I'm bothered by the sole existence of forum rules, on the internet in general, and the corporals applying it, so I'll boycott myself to comment essentially. I prefer self-regulation as a value and it starts by letting options of expression be explored and set own limits.

(Hand grenade unpinning)
I do remember a thread by JG talking non sense, prolly after a drunk night out. It was hella funny and triggered happy-go-lucky comments but was erased. It appeared non harmful but maybe detrimental to the image. So cleared as an act of preservation ? It was not counting on his sense of humour though. Just noting it happens on meaningless threads too. Zero discrimination for the slaps !

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Silvermorning, mahakaliSS_MahaDurga and Brick In The Wall
StateOfMind

StateOfMind

Liberty or Death
Apr 30, 2020
I'm not Ok with it, the thread should not have been locked because of a troll that should have been banned anyway.