ladidabi

ladidabi

Losing all hope is freedom.
Mar 19, 2023
The past few month I've been ending up cutting my wrists and forearm more often due to worsening mental health problems and waiting lines to another outpatient facility. Very short about the incident, yesterday I went for another session if you can call it that, and I went to sleep. I wake up to head to work left arm feeling incredibly weak in comparison to my right. I cut on both arms, but even then I only have this problem with my left arm. The weakness is most obvious around my wrist (typing is a struggle right now).

I didn't know it was a fairly common thing, so I call the GPs office and ask for an appointment tomorrow. She asks me to explain and I just tell her I got an injury which may be the cause to my very weak arm/hand. No questions but she offered to let my GP know to call me shortly after instead to hear about it. I'm ok with that.
He calls me about 30 min later and starts by asking how I would explain the feeling. I repeat what I told the lady on the feeling in my hand and upper arm.
He asks when it was caused and what kind of injury it is. I tell him last night, cut. I hoped it wouldn't give him thoughts as I never expressed to him that I do this. My dumbass forgets he has access to my journal, and I he goes quiet. All I hear for a few minutes is typing and clicking from the computer mouse. He then tells me "you know that's a dumb thing to do, right? not very smart." I become quiet because at that point I don't know what to say.

He continues with: "if you ever feel the need to harm yourself, go outside, go for a run. Run as fast as you can and let your energy out. Don't cut yourself, ok?"
At least I learned today that the cuts caused damaged nerves.

I'm dumbfounded by his response, to say the least.

• Hugs
Reactions: Specific_Milk and suicidal flapper
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
Even though psychiatry is part of their training many doctors aren't very sensitive and enlightened about mental health, psychiatrists included. I think we all have our own compilations of fucked up things said to us by doctors.

Reactions: Deleted member 65988
zombiegirl

zombiegirl

the living dead
Aug 17, 2023
this nurse looked at my cut before they stitched it, a cut that went down to the fucking muscle, and went "it's not that bad. stop being dramatic"

Reactions: Interestedsadboi25
tiger b

tiger b

AI without the I
Oct 24, 2023
Umm...well, it sounds like he's trying to be of practical help. It might help a few people. Might. But it sounds like he's out of his depth.

There was a hypnotherapist called Milton Eriksson who often solved problems by left-field solutions (it's said). But he was very person-centred, uncannily so if accounts are believed, and that's what is lacking here.

Smelly_ballz

Smelly_ballz

No hope in heaven, No fear of hell
Oct 30, 2023
He sounds insensitive. Yeah, go berate the person who is already struggling, that will surely help doc!

Reactions: ForgottenAgain
L

livinginhellnation

Nov 19, 2023
Well I ran out of meds one time and my GP was supposed to prescribe with new meds but never did. I then recevied a call from another GP and told her that I was waiting on new meds for a month and she went through the standard line of questioning they do in the UK to see if you are suicidal. I told her just prescribe the meds since Ive explained my situation to 2 other GP's and that she didnt bother reading the notes on my file. She then continued to shout and scold me an aggressive manner.

ladidabi

ladidabi

Losing all hope is freedom.
Mar 19, 2023
this nurse looked at my cut before they stitched it, a cut that went down to the fucking muscle, and went "it's not that bad. stop being dramatic"
Love them for being heartless yet attempting to work with people. Got the same response from a nurse while waiting in ER crying my eyes out from 2nd-3rd degree burns on 18% of my body and waiting 7 hours in the ER (it was an accidental injury).

To comment on what's relevant here; people saying they're trained in dealing with mental health problems is just pure bullshit in my ears. A bachelors in nursing is not enough training. Neither is a doctor that's meant to originally treat somatic problems. What a world. I'm sorry you had to experience that.
Umm...well, it sounds like he's trying to be of practical help. It might help a few people. Might. But it sounds like he's out of his depth.

There was a hypnotherapist called Milton Eriksson who often solved problems by left-field solutions (it's said). But he was very person-centred, uncannily so if accounts are believed, and that's what is lacking here.
I wouldn't be so harsh on my opinions on him if it wasn't for the fact that I've been like this for over a decade, 5 years of nearly weekly appointments with him, and worsening symptoms each time.

Even during my phase of bodybuilding before depression really took a toll on me, I was never getting better. I came home tired after a workout session, but I never felt less empty and sad. At the end this emptiness triggered binge-eating, and now back at a healthy weight after starving myself into it. I'm very honest with medical professionals regarding my situation, or else there is no point in going. I just wish he could realize it's been years, not days.

Last edited:
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you šŸ•Æļø Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
At least I learned today that the cuts caused damaged nerves.
yeah, i had to stop checking the temp of bottles with my left wrist because of it

S

suicidal flapper

Student
Jul 15, 2023
doctors are usually beyond insensitive with ego problems. I'm frankly tired of them