S

Sod123

May 25, 2020
Been fucking sectioned, said section 2 whatever that means, how can they legally stop me from doing what I need to do, could be in here for 28 days, but there's ppl in here that say they've been here for months!

how do I get them to let me leave?

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: angelfeather, sadworld, darksideofthebright and 16 others
Caspers

Caspers

Lost
Jun 23, 2020
Play their games, go to therapies provided, shower daily and talk to residents. You can fake as much of it as you want, but a sudden 'I'm cured' is rarely bought. I hope your stay isn't as bad as mine was, and good luck

Reactions: darksideofthebright, Lilium, disabledandhopeless and 9 others
M

moonie

Dec 8, 2020
I am sorry. Like Caspers said, act like you could reccovered yourself with their help. Be cooperative.

Reactions: darksideofthebright, Lilium, Ghost2211 and 3 others
SweetTangerine

SweetTangerine

ᴸᵉᵗ ᵘˢ ᵖˡᵃʸ, ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ᵍʳᵉᵃᵗᵉˢᵗ ᵒᶠ ˢᵗᵃᵍᵉˢ!!
Nov 9, 2020
when i was in that situation i just followed their orders and just told them what they wanted to hear. let me out earlier than they planned and didnt suspect a thing. its shocking really.

Reactions: darksideofthebright, Ghost2211, Sod123 and 1 other person
Silver

Silver

The 21st century is when everything changes
Aug 8, 2020
At least you get your own room.

Like the others say... Work with the hospital to get out sooner. You might find some of the stuff to be helpful, if they provide therapy?

Reactions: Ghost2211
G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
You just have to go with the program. Going against it keeps you there longer.

Reactions: sadworld
Q

Quiet Desperation

Lonely wanderer
Dec 7, 2020
Been fucking sectioned, said section 2 whatever that means, how can they legally stop me from doing what I need to do, could be in here for 28 days, but there's ppl in here that say they've been here for months!

how do I get them to let me leave?

Yeah, it's absolutely scary when you connect the dots and realize how quickly your due process just vanishes. Having been there, my advice is similar to the other posters' so far. They will likely offer "optional" group therapy / activities / free socialization time / whatever. You won't feel like doing any of them because many of the structured activities are condescending and degrading, and despite your illness you have some self respect and pride.

Unfortunately, the game is that the more you do of those the faster you'll get out. Don't act like you improved overnight, just be consistent and regurgitate all their nonsense back to them, reassure them when they go through the self harm questionnaire, volunteer to answer questions when they ask them in group and keep your head down and don't make waves.

The highlight of my time in the ward was when they brought in a washed up counselor in with two fresh faced apprentices in tow. I was sitting quite near them, and before the session started he was telling them how much he hated these presentations and that they could just wing it and nobody would know any different. He then proceeded to lecture us for 20 minutes on the importance of sleep. Okay, great. Then the ward placed us in a room with a dude who woke up every 45 minutes and loudly asked the entire room what day it was. Over and over and over. Zero sleep that night. A fellow inmate and I both complained about this, so they moved us to a second room. That room had an addict who was in the process of detoxing, who again kept us up all night.

After I was released I received an enormous direct bill from the ward's doctor, which at the time was against the law in my state. He saw me twice for 15 minutes each and did absolutely nothing other than sign my release. In short, you'll get to see how much of a joke the mental health services are in your country, but play the game and they will eventually cut you loose. Best wishes for an early release.

• Hugs
Reactions: Meditation guide
M

Mercury6737

Sep 21, 2018
They let you keep shoes with laces? Anyway, it goes without saying that being cooperative helps, but what's even better is having mental health professionals vouch for you. I'm not sure if you were already seeing one, but another doctor (or two doctors) explaining to the doctor there that you are "just going through a bad patch, you have medication, etc." might be the difference between a month and two days, including day of discharge.

Donk

Donk

Useless since day 1
Jan 3, 2020
they let you keep your phone in there? at least you can communicate with the outside world. hang in there.

A

Ae54rge

Dec 6, 2020
Shoes with laces and your own wash facilities, things are different from when I was last in. Obviously depends where your in, at least you were able to keep your phone, that does seem to a norm, it's your lifeline out of that place. It's really hard to play their game while your in there, but you know you always got here to message when they are making this really difficult for you

Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
Awww, I'm so sorry you in this position. like others said, just follow their instructions and you will be out in no time. Hope it's beneficial for you. 2 years ago I also self admitted myself, was the 2 longest weeks of my life. Have to say your room looks better than mine at least. Sending you a hug and strength my dear. :hug: The first 3 days are the hardest, at least you have Wi-Fi, mine was taken when I was admitted.

Reactions: LionsTigersAndBears
G

GreenTree

Mage
Jun 1, 2020
Been in hospital 4 times. There just too earn money for mental health jobs. It's all a big con. Anyone can suggest medications. It's all guess work. They can't see in someones mind. The government would be better of ploughing money into euthanasia. So we can use our free will too end our suffering.

• Love
Reactions: nitrogennitrite2
sadworld

sadworld

existence is a nightmare
Aug 25, 2020
Do what they want you to do and you should get out soon.

Latios

Latios

Experienced
Nov 22, 2020
I don't mean to jinx it for our op but how on earth are they able to read and post in this forum in a psych ward? :/ Seems like the first thing pro-lifers would take away.

Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
Seems like the first thing pro-lifers would take away.
I'm sure they don't realize he is posting here. He has a phone and wifi so that's all he needs.

off topic: I'm amused at the term "sectioned" for being put in a mental ward. I hadn't heard that before coming here.

• Love
Reactions: sadworld