F

FallenFromGrace92

Student
Jan 24, 2021
What things need to be sealed and thought about when taping up a car for CO METHOD?

J

JustLosingMyself

Mage
Sep 4, 2018
There's no need to, there's not enough air exchange for it to matter if the ventilation is switched off and the vents closed.
If you must, there are typically vents towards the boot, though their location varies by car. Tape the doors other than the one you use to enter and the boot. Close the vents and set the ventilation on "recycle". None of these will make a car airtight but reduce the air exchange.

Worndown

Worndown

Visionary
Mar 21, 2019
Kinda sucks to be the cars owner. Can you find another way that does not unduly impact others?

Reactions: riglad
JustAMatterOfTime

JustAMatterOfTime

Fragile
Mar 21, 2021
It has to be an old car I think

Reactions: Ironweed and orlandom
Ironweed

Ironweed

Nauseated.
Nov 9, 2019
Catalytic convertors (in the USA, I believe the EU has something similar to reduce CO emissions) and modern unleaded gas make this method iffy nowadays no matter how well the car is sealed. Or such is my understanding.

Not impossible, just far less likely to produce the desired outcome than it would have, say prior to the 1980s. At any rate you should probably look into this aspect before proceeding. (CO PPM counts in modern emissions in your country, etc.)

As an aside, IIRC diesel vehicles are completely useless for this method and always have been. I think this is due to their pollution being mostly particulate, but I am far from being an expert on such things.

hfdepression30

hfdepression30

Experienced
Mar 30, 2021
Catalytic convertors (in the USA, I believe the EU has something similar to reduce CO emissions) and modern unleaded gas make this method iffy nowadays no matter how well the car is sealed. Or such is my understanding.

Not impossible, just far less likely to produce the desired outcome than it would have, say prior to the 1980s. At any rate you should probably look into this aspect before proceeding. (CO PPM counts in modern emissions in your country, etc.)

As an aside, IIRC diesel vehicles are completely useless for this method and always have been. I think this is due to their pollution being mostly particulate, but I am far from being an expert on such things.
These days you find a lot more people using a metal bucket full of charcoal in the footwell for CO poisoning, or a mixture of chemicals in a bowl to cause a CO reaction. It's more popular in Asia than Europe or the America's though since the media typically avoids reporting on the method. I'm planning to go by charcoal CO. I don't have a car to do it in which would be ideal, so either my room or a tent.

Reactions: JustAMatterOfTime and Ironweed
Ironweed

Ironweed

Nauseated.
Nov 9, 2019
or a mixture of chemicals in a bowl to cause a CO reaction.
I did not even know this was a thing. Interesting. I'd be interested in reading up on it, if anyone has any links.

The grill business simply generates too much heat for me to fully trust it as a peaceful method, though I've not fully investigated the matter.

It's more popular in Asia than Europe or the America's though since the media typically avoids reporting on the method.
The only public mention I'm aware of in the US is the lead singer of Boston, who died by this method. FWIW, he did not burn down his house. And presumably had neither smoke nor CO detectors operating.

hfdepression30

hfdepression30

Experienced
Mar 30, 2021
I did not even know this was a thing. Interesting. I'd be interested in reading up on it, if anyone has any links.

The grill business simply generates too much heat for me to fully trust it as a peaceful method, though I've not fully investigated the matter.

The only public mention I'm aware of in the US is the lead singer of Boston, who died by this method. FWIW, he did not burn down his house. And presumably had neither smoke nor CO detectors operating.
I don't have a link, but the chemicals used to produce CO are formic acid and sulphuric acid. It's a pretty rare method of carbon monoxide suicide, but I have seen an article about it in the news before; they were two people who met online and CTB the same day (she had already ordered the chemicals online).

As for the charcoal method, I haven't seen any research or indication to suggest it's too hot or unbearable (I've done a lot of research). Perhaps if you already live in a hot country or do it during hot weather it would be uncomfortable. Charcoal briquettes are said to continually produce carbon monoxide for up to 6 hours, even when they're cooling and not freshly glowing. In a confined space like a car, I think you'd be unconscious within 10 minutes. [edit: I just thought I'd add that charcoal burning also causes 100's of accidental deaths each year, mostly due to people who have gone camping and bought the grill inside their tent or camper van for warmth without realising it's danger.]

ah, yes. I previously read about the US singer who used the CO method. If I remember correctly, he used two or three grills and also had his car exhaust pipe leading to the window by a hose. Either the room he used was so big he needed all those extras to ensue his death or he was just desperate and wanted it to happen faster.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bensharp
P

Phoenix

Student
Feb 27, 2021
I have been considering the same method in a car also. Using disposable BBQs though I have also thought about as a tent as another possible option if I cannot access a car. Though I'm assuming this may be a lot more difficult due to needing to seal a tent

hfdepression30

hfdepression30

Experienced
Mar 30, 2021
I have been considering the same method in a car also. Using disposable BBQs though I have also thought about as a tent as another possible option if I cannot access a car. Though I'm assuming this may be a lot more difficult due to needing to seal a tent
I don't think it's as difficult as it may seem considering there are so many accidental tent deaths each year from campers bringing the grill inside for warmth; they wouldn't have gone about any extra precautions to seal the tent. The main thing I think that needs to be considered is that it's waterproof and there are no windows or vents. If you really wanted to seal it more, it would mostly just be duct tape around the zip area I assume, unless you wanted to go as far as doing all the seams.

I would prefer a tent, and I can easily get a cheap one, but I just don't know where I would pitch it. If not in my garden, I just don't know where I could go that gives me the time and privacy to light the coals and then do it, but also I don't have a car so I would have to carry everything which would be too difficult. So I'm leaning more to doing it at my home and leaving signs at the porch door to warn visitors of a CO and to call emergency services about my body.

Reactions: Ironweed
P

Phoenix

Student
Feb 27, 2021
I don't think it's as difficult as it may seem considering there are so many accidental tent deaths each year from campers bringing the grill inside for warmth; they wouldn't have gone about any extra precautions to seal the tent. The main thing I think that needs to be considered is that it's waterproof and there are no windows or vents. If you really wanted to seal it more, it would mostly just be duct tape around the zip area I assume, unless you wanted to go as far as doing all the seams.

I would prefer a tent, and I can easily get a cheap one, but I just don't know where I would pitch it. If not in my garden, I just don't know where I could go that gives me the time and privacy to light the coals and then do it, but also I don't have a car so I would have to carry everything which would be too difficult. So I'm leaning more to doing it at my home and leaving signs at the porch door to warn visitors of a CO and to call emergency services about my body.

Thanks for that information very helpful as I don't know a lot about this method but it seems fairly simple and peaceful. I'm in the same predicament as you, I have a car but no access to it and nowhere particularly close by I could just pitch a tent. I can't do it at home either as I don't live alone and it's not something I would like my family to witness the aftermath of.