Joey

Joey

Enlightened
Jun 14, 2020
Screw Social Media and everything on TV that always show how everything is bad with the news. So many fakes, comparing yourselves to others, scams, misinformation, and all of that shit. I'm not going on Reddit, Facebook, Twitter, and possibly YouTube soon...ever again. SanctionedSuicide is going to be my final public site.

I miss the old days where everything was just so simple and yeah times were indeed hard but you guys are right... Social Media does play a role in our lives that makes us feel the way we do.

I'm completely burnt out on gaming and right now, I'm just existing. Some part of me just doesn't want to go back to that old version of myself because the times I've wasted. Yeah those were great years but now eventually I have to face reality and grow up. It's inevitable and it's scary to think about. Especially on what's going on right now...

I don't know what to do.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: voyager, lostangel, Deleted member 1465 and 7 others
ocd is bad

ocd is bad

-
Jun 26, 2020
Completely agree with you. Everytime I go on social media I regret it.

Reactions: Woodnote, Oyoy and Joey
Deleted member 17949

Deleted member 17949

Visionary
May 9, 2020
Social media can be fun or toxic depending on how it's used. Obviously sharing pictures of your cat and talking to your friends about your upcoming meetup online is convenient and harmless while arguing over politics and obsessing over the state of the world is damaging. Social media is often made out to be the enemy of introverts like me, forcing us to compare ourselves to our mega-social overlords, but in reality I think it has helped me a lot; the fact that I can be contacted online means I don't slip out of contact with friends when I'm too depressed to go places with them, and this is really the only reason I've managed to keep friends at all.

On the other hand, social media can encourage and reinforce unhealthy habits. Being able to see what others are doing does make it tempting to compare yourself to them, and the fact that a single person can reach a large audience so easily and with little consequence leads to minimal fact-checking as information is exchanged. It's easy to end up with a warped narrative of the world by taking in exaggerated or out of context information, and the fact that most platforms will recommend their users more of the content they view the most makes it easy to end up in a bubble feeding yourself unhealthy content.

Overall I don't think social media is inherently evil or toxic, it just speeds up and amplifies all aspects of information and communication, both positive and negative.

Reactions: ocd is bad, FriendofDeath, Life sucks and 2 others
L

Life sucks

Visionary
Apr 18, 2018
Don't blame yourself, the current world situation is extraordinary and the negativity is very big. Humans are already negative before that and now its exploding. Relax and avoid the toxicity and then you'll find what you want.

Reactions: ocd is bad, Oyoy and Joey
so tired or manic

so tired or manic

Arcanist
Jun 12, 2020
I miss when social media was more about sharing memes. a slight chuckle was a nice escape for a minute. now all anyone wants to share is news. while I like being informed, it's heartbreaking. especially since more and more people are saying who cares if people die. it only emphasizes how little my life matters. it's not something I need to see day in and day out just trying to survive.

• Love
Reactions: FriendofDeath and Oyoy
L

Life sucks

Visionary
Apr 18, 2018
Social media can be fun or toxic depending on how it's used. Obviously sharing pictures of your cat and talking to your friends about your upcoming meetup online is convenient and harmless while arguing over politics and obsessing over the state of the world is damaging. Social media is often made out to be the enemy of introverts like me, forcing us to compare ourselves to our mega-social overlords, but in reality I think it has helped me a lot; the fact that I can be contacted online means I don't slip out of contact with friends when I'm too depressed to go places with them, and this is really the only reason I've managed to keep friends at all.

On the other hand, social media can encourage and reinforce unhealthy habits. Being able to see what others are doing does make it tempting to compare yourself to them, and the fact that a single person can reach a large audience so easily and with little consequence leads to minimal fact-checking as information is exchanged. It's easy to end up with a warped narrative of the world by taking in exaggerated or out of context information, and the fact that most platforms will recommend their users more of the content they view the most makes it easy to end up in a bubble feeding yourself unhealthy content.

Overall I don't think social media is inherently evil or toxic, it just speeds up and amplifies all aspects of information and communication, both positive and negative.

Yea its a tool after all, humans can use it in good or bad ways.

W

Worthless_nobody

Enlightened
Feb 14, 2019
I feel like I wrote that myself. I hate social media so much. I have deleted all social media including reddit, I stopped watching TV because the news is so depressing and false info everywhere. I only YouTube with ad blocker now. I used to be a gamer too but I'm so so burned out with it. I just exist myself. Im at the age where I should have my act together and be an adult but I'm far from it. These are indeed scary times.

Reactions: voyager and mediocre
M

mediocre

trapped here
Nov 9, 2019
Twitter is the worst one out of them all. I didn't realise how many narcissists they were in the world until it was invented.

Reactions: draw a circle and FriendofDeath
Sinai Silence

Sinai Silence

I think I'ma die alone inside my room
Jul 6, 2020
I've deleted all my social media apart from Instagram and I can't stand it either. I look forward to the day I can delete it.

FriendofDeath

FriendofDeath

Elementalist
May 22, 2020
I rarely do Facebook, and if I do I usually just respond to others rather than try to start or share something. I find it depressing because I get so little response, but for all I know, I might have restricted it to just family.

Have you used the Nextdoor ap? I know it's here in the states. I used it to create two groups that have gotten to a good size, but not a lot of interaction. One is for Feral Cat Caretakers and the other for Vegetarians. I like the option of just going to groups that appeal to me - much less drama.

I think if I got tired of gaming, I'd be in deep do do. Those of you who said you should grow up - don't beat yourself up! You sound like you're doing what I'm doing - surviving. Do what you have to do (and hopefully it's something you can enjoy!) Maybe it's time for a new hobby that could lead to some financial gain? I need to get back to that myself, so pardon me while I kick my own butt into gear! Peace, y'all!

TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
Yeah I try to stay away from popular social media as much. Mainly because for me, it just reminds me of the NPC's way of life, fake and arrogant, and also very depressing to see how others are ok with social cues and stuff (things I struggled immensely due to Aspergers and my social ineptness throughout my life). I'd rather not be reminded of the things I missed out on, so I suppose ignorance is bliss applies in my situation here.

As for the news, I do just keep up with current events just so I'm not completely oblivious to the world around me but beyond that, I don't scour the news that much.

Reactions: Sinai Silence
D

draw a circle

out.
Apr 10, 2020
My instagram is a lot nicer because I only follow things I like and almost none of my irl friends are there. My second acc of twitter needs some detox because I followed someone funny but lately they retweeted too much drama. It's fun sometimes, but they made my faith in humanity practically nonexistent by now. My main twitter was wack, I stopped checking it ages ago. It's filled with my irl friends, most of which I haven't seen in years, and sometimes their opinion is just... ain't it. Some of them are pure cringe. Well, I'm no better as all I tweet in my second acc is shitpost and talking about how sad I am, but at least I'm alone in there (literally. Only 9 people followed me and I don't even know them. 1 is my irl friend). And yet I couldn't stop opening them lol

Reactions: FriendofDeath, Joey and Sinai Silence
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Tbh I was happier before mobile phones and the the internet. Yes, I am that old.

Reactions: FriendofDeath, Sinai Silence and Joey
Joey

Joey

Enlightened
Jun 14, 2020
Tbh I was happier before mobile phones and the the internet. Yes, I am that old.
I was a lot happier too, way back in the early 2000s. No technology or anything. Take me back...

Reactions: Deleted member 1465 and Sinai Silence
so tired or manic

so tired or manic

Arcanist
Jun 12, 2020
I was very much on the computer constantly in the late 90s early 2000s, but it was a whole different world back then. it did have social media, but it didn't destroy lives the way it does now.

Reactions: voyager, FriendofDeath, Sinai Silence and 1 other person