LunaXCBN

LunaXCBN

The Best Thing (That Never Happened)
Feb 6, 2023
apologies for the typis, im on mobile and dont care to correct mhself

is anyone else scared of therapy? i dont really seem to trust anyone trying to help me, i see them as fake and trying to use me in slme way.
i jnderdtand its tveir job to do, and tvey need to get paid, bjt the idea of paying someone to listen to your problemsis a bit weird

idk, im just anxious and afraid of tverapy as a wvole. thoughts?

Reactions: Ultracheese
Ultracheese

Ultracheese

Arcanist
Dec 1, 2022
I share your fear as someone who has had negative experiences in therapy. Opening up to anyone can be really frightening, and the idea of paying someone for these services, as you mentioned, is an odd idea. I think therapy can be useful and helpful in some situations, but it's definitely not for everyone.

Reactions: LunaXCBN
TransilvanianHunger

TransilvanianHunger

Grave with a view...
Jan 22, 2023
the idea of paying someone to listen to your problemsis a bit weird
Yes, that'd be a bit weird, but that is not what therapy is. A therapist listens to your problems to understand what you're thinking and going through, and then uses their training and experience to go over those problems with you in ways that can provide insight, a different perspective, an explanation for some of those problems, or ways of dealing with the things that are affecting you. The listening bit could be done by a good friend or a bartender, for free, and they might even have some advice to give you based on their own lives.

A therapist (a decent one, at least) will be able to go much deeper than that, and guide you through the things you're feeling or dealing with in a much more effective way than someone who is simply lending a sympathetic ear. It's normal if you don't trust a therapist at first, you have no reason to trust this random stranger who's charging you money to sit with you for an hour and listen to you rambling. Trust is built through working with the therapist, and it requires that both of you do your part—being willing to put in the work as a patient, and being honest, empathetic, professional, and human as a therapist.

Illidan77

Illidan77

╰━≪ - ≫─╯
Nov 22, 2022
I was always anxious during my appointment even after years. I think it really depends on therapist wether you feel emotionally connected / can open and trust but it usually take more than 1 appointment.

borderline-feline

borderline-feline

Constantly Sleepy Catgirl
Dec 28, 2022
I don't really know what I think about therapy (then again, I have BPD, so I don't know what I think about a lot of things), but it scares me. I don't think therapy is as effective as a lot of people make it out to be.

I'm generally against behavioral therapy because it doesn't treat mental illness; it just makes people seem less mentally ill. I find ERP therapy in particular to be very unethical in most situations, including mine because it's just repeatedly triggering someone and not allowing them to perform compulsions.

Mister Skittles

Mister Skittles

Moth of wisdom
Feb 17, 2023
apologies for the typis, im on mobile and dont care to correct mhself

is anyone else scared of therapy? i dont really seem to trust anyone trying to help me, i see them as fake and trying to use me in slme way.
i jnderdtand its tveir job to do, and tvey need to get paid, bjt the idea of paying someone to listen to your problemsis a bit weird

idk, im just anxious and afraid of tverapy as a wvole. thoughts?
Perhaps you could start via phonecall conversatios when discussing serious situations. I often feel much more anxious, talking with people face to face. Talking about serious troubles over the phone can make a more slow segway into trust until you feel more comfortable talking about those issues in person.

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Yes, I do know what you mean. I only went for a few sessions before cancelling. To be fair- the therapist was pretty good- very insightful. I just found the whole thing so intrusive though. I think maybe it depends on how used you are to opening up to people. I think it's quite hard to get over the idea that they are judging you- even subconsciously (at least- it was for me.) I guess they're not though- or at least- they're not going to show it.

Plus, my Dad has never liked the idea of them. On the one hand, I think he finds it all a bit pathetic- that whole stiff upper lip thing- I got through traumatic things without having support. Still- I also reckon he maybe subconsciously doesn't like them because they do look at your childhood sometimes and I don't think he likes the idea of being judged or blamed.

I think it's definitely worth trying though. I sort of wonder whether it's worth trying a few different therapists- if possible to find one you gel with. I hope you go ahead with it and I hope it helps you. You can always cancel it at the end of the day- may as well try it though.