bad luck

bad luck

Memento mori
Mar 2, 2021

fashion

Lil Nas X's unofficial 'Satan' Nikes containing human blood sell out in under a minute​

Published 29th March 2021

http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F210328223412-01-lil-nas-x-satan-shoes.jpg

Credit: Courtesy MSCHF
http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F210328223412-01-lil-nas-x-satan-shoes-super-tease.jpg

Lil Nas X's unofficial 'Satan' Nikes containing human blood sell out in under a minute

Written by Oscar Holland, CNN
Jacqui Palumbo, CNN
Rapper and singer Lil Nas X launched a controversial pair of "Satan Shoes" featuring a bronze pentagram, an inverted cross and a drop of real human blood -- and they sold out almost immediately.
The black and red sneakers, part of a collaboration between Lil Nas X and New York-based art collective MSCHF, were made using Nike Air Max 97s, though the sportswear brand has distanced itself from the design.
In an emailed statement to CNN, Nike said it was not involved in creating the modified sneakers. "We do not have a relationship with Lil Nas or MSCHF," the company said. "Nike did not design or release these shoes and we do not endorse them."

MSCHF confirmed via email March 29 that the limited-edition "drop" of 666 pairs sold out in less than a minute (though Lil Nas X will keep the first pair, MSCHF creative director Kevin Wiesner told CNN).
They were priced at $1,018 a pair, a reference to the Bible passage Luke 10:18 that reads: "I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven." Each shoe's air bubble sole contains 60 cubic centimeters (2.03 fluid ounces) of red ink and "one drop" of human blood, according to MSCHF.
A MSCHF spokesperson said the blood had been provided by members of the art collective, adding: "We love to sacrifice for our art." Later, Wiesner explained on a video call that the creative team collected individual drops over the course of a week using the same type of needle used in at-home glucose tests. The group also confirmed to CNN that Nike was "not involved in this in any capacity."
The 'Satan Shoes' will launch Monday as a limited-edition release.

The 'Satan Shoes' will launch Monday as a limited-edition release. Credit: Courtesy MSCHF
The shoes sparked outrage online over the weekend, and attracted criticism from a number of high-profile political and religious figures, including South Dakota Governor Kristi Noem and the evangelical pastor Mark Burns. The latter described the sneakers in a tweet as "evil" and "heresy." Some fans of the "Old Town Road" rapper, meanwhile, tweeted their support and desire to own a pair.

Oversized hospital bill paintings sold to pay off medical debts

Oversized hospital bill paintings sold to pay off medical debts

In response, Lil Nas X (whose real name is Montero Lamar Hill), posted a video to his official YouTube account titled "Lil Nas X Apologizes for Satan Shoe," which has now been viewed over 1.8 million times. But after a few seconds, the apparent apology cuts to a scene from his new music video, "Montero (Call Me By Your Name)," showing him dancing provocatively with a devil character. The rapper is then pictured snapping the devil's neck, before removing his horned crown and assuming it himself.
The day after Lil Nas X released the music video, he responded to the backlash over its rebellious religious imagery. "I spent my entire teenage years hating myself because of the s**t y'all preached would happen to me because i was gay," he wrote. "So i hope u are mad, stay mad, feel the same anger you teach us to have towards ourselves."
The collective Lil Nas X worked with on the "Satan Shoe," MSCHF, is known for its irreverent "drops," a series of tongue-in-cheek art projects unveiled once every two weeks. In 2019, the collective released limited edition "Jesus Shoes" -- also made from Nike Air Max 97 sneakers -- which featured a steel crucifix and "holy water" sourced from the Jordan River.
Other drops have seen the collective sell a laptop installed with some of the world's most dangerous computer viruses for over $1.3 million. In February, meanwhile, the group ripped apart four Hermès Birkin bags in order to create a collection of sandals priced between $34,000 and $76,000.
"We all knew that some people would take the satan element of this seriously...but I'm not sure we were entirely prepared for how much of a furor it would cause," Wiesner said. "Obviously from our perspective, it's just fun, right? There's a really rich wealth of symbol(ism) to work with, but some people have been very up in arms with it."
He referenced one YouTube reviewer -- Michael J. Mitchell of the account "A Sneaker Life" -- who first did an unboxing video, then posted a follow-up video called "I threw the nike satan shoes away." He did so, Wiesner said, "because his fans had reacted so poorly to the concept, which is extremely funny."
In the 8-minute video, Mitchell announces he's getting rid of the sneakers before tossing them down the trash chute in his apartment building (he shows them in the box before they make their descent). "I'm throwing them away, bro, straight up. I'm not keeping this energy around me whatsoever," he said. "Everybody just relax, bro. I am a man of God."

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: NeverSatisfied, WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, lofticries and 2 others
F

FinalDestination

Here lies my hopes and dreams
Mar 10, 2020
Just became aware of him from the recent music video controversy but I love this guys energy so much. Just completely unbothered by backlash. I didn't see any wrong in the mv - it was indeed quite risqué (nothing unheard of ) and it's pretty much the same types of response the wap song last year got from religious people and conservatives causing an outcry - because dear god what about the children?! - when they could just ignore it and move on with there lives but of course insist on having a superior complex and making it everyone's business. I hope he continues the path of pissing these people off tbh and living his best life.

• Love
Reactions: Boochky, NeverSatisfied and bad luck
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
I would probably buy them lol

• Yay!
  • Wow
Reactions: NeverSatisfied, Isisnefert, Lmd and 4 others
Good4Nothing

Good4Nothing

Unlovable
May 8, 2020
They're hideous, but good for him.
It cracks me up how seriously some people take this silliness.

• Yay!
Reactions: UseItOrLoseIt, NeverSatisfied, Isisnefert and 2 others
lofticries

lofticries

obedear
Feb 27, 2021
The Jesus ones look better.
Tumblr bf000513d4af8478a3b26fcd92708d26 4d8fb0c5 1280

Honestly lil nas x is a troll and the more people bitch about his music video the more clout he will get. All the religious conservatives clutching their anal beads after watching montero would shit themselves if they seen manson's old stuff.

Just became aware of him from the recent music video controversy but I love this guys energy so much. Just completely unbothered by backlash. I didn't see any wrong in the mv - it was indeed quite risqué (nothing unheard of ) and it's pretty much the same types of response the wap song last year got from religious people and conservatives causing an outcry - because dear god what about the children?! - when they could just ignore it and move on with there lives but of course insist on having a superior complex and making it everyone's business. I hope he continues the path of pissing these people off tbh and living his best life.
It is hilarious how someone giving satan a lap dance is more controversial than say....the amount of pedo priests.

:meh:

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: NeverSatisfied, filthyrottendirty, Relic and 4 others
140 bpm

140 bpm

Glitching in reality
Jan 26, 2020
that's interesting, but I didn't like design tho...bronze pentagram...urgh

Reactions: NeverSatisfied, Lmd, Skathon and 1 other person
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
Reactions: NeverSatisfied, filthyrottendirty and bad luck
JustAMatterOfTime

JustAMatterOfTime

Fragile
Mar 21, 2021
Now Nike is suing. Even though lots of people customise shoes and sell them. But expensive for me.

bad luck

bad luck

Memento mori
Mar 2, 2021
They have done those of Jesus and those of the devil. Now touch Buddha, Krishna, Shiva, Odin, Zeus and other gods.

• Yay!
Reactions: NeverSatisfied, Isisnefert, lofticries and 2 others
Mentalmick

Mentalmick

IMHOTEP!!!
Nov 30, 2020
Piss off Nike, that's not even a pentagram, it's a pentacle. Get your magic symbols right you good for nothing, money grabbing, crap trainer making gaggle of douchebags.

Edit: it would appear, as usual, I didn't read the article properly and my verbal assault on Nike was unwarranted. I wholeheartedly refuse to apologise. Sue me.

Last edited:
  • Yay!
Reactions: NeverSatisfied, lofticries, TooConscious and 3 others
T

TooConscious

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2020
This just sums up humanity
Satanism is fucking hip now
So sad
Pathetic humans are

Reactions: BandAddict, UseItOrLoseIt, NeverSatisfied and 3 others
nolongerhuman

nolongerhuman

Arcanist
Feb 9, 2021
If I had a large surplus of expendable cash I might think about buying something like them just because the sheer amount of edge is amusing

Reactions: NeverSatisfied and bad luck
F

filthyrottendirty

Experienced
Feb 20, 2021
The song was catchy at least

Reactions: NeverSatisfied and nolongerhuman
NeverSatisfied

NeverSatisfied

Experienced
Dec 28, 2020
I don't understand why everyone was so upset. He literally killed the devil. Even the angels should've been so excited that they'd slidedown the stripper pole into hell to and there's a massive party in Heaven, on Earth and in Hell. Goal achieved. Go Nas!

• Hugs
Reactions: GrumpyFrog, Lmd, lofticries and 1 other person