N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I am a complete layman. I cannot guarantee for anything. I read about it in the German media and would have liked to link these reports. But I had to search for English sources. I would have liked to copy and paste passages in order to avoid spreading fake news. I was ambivalent whether I should post about it. I think the people here are already pretty sceptical about therapy. Personally therapy helped me a lot and I can only recommend it. But I think if at least one person could profit of the following information the thread might was worth it.

Here are some links:

The research in my country is not that advanced on this phenomenon. I also read about it in Swiss media.

You can use a translator if you want to know the details. I try to sum it up but with no guarantee.

Some therapists for traumata were influenced by conspiracy theories. They chatted the patients up so that the patients believed they experienced ritual satanist child abuse. They invoked fake memories - seemingly unintentionally. Even authorites believed such conspiracies and their investigations were influenced because of it. There are no evidences for such a danger. Some patients suffered because of this false treatment.

I am not sure how widespread this phenomenon is in other countries. It is scary for sure. I never met therapists with such bad intentions. So I rather assume it happened unintentionally in the vast majority of cases.

Last edited: