PrettyMoose

PrettyMoose

Eat my arse, Pain&Sh*tness & Mindf*ckitation Grift
Mar 1, 2020
Sometimes I wonder about myself. I seem to have the same conversations play out again and again and there doesn't appear to be anything that I can do about it. At the beginning of the conversation it all feels so fresh as if it really is the first time I'm discussing a certain topic, and then somewhere in the middle of it I get a feeling of deja vu and start to feel embarrassed for already having this discussion and not realizing it soon enough. Then I make a conscious effort to try and steer the discussion in a different route. That only works out for a little while, as soon I find myself having that same feeling of deja vu come back to me. There are only so many ways that I can steer a discussion and it seems like the limited amount of different ways eventually become the same old ways after the discussion is had so many times. Basically I feel completely screwed in the way that I communicate and I feel doomed to always have this embarrassing deja vu feeling. It has always happened a little bit and I think it is natural that it happens to everyone at least some of the time, but for me it seems to be getting worse with age. It happens in online conversations and in real life conversations, and it is worsening in both areas.

I wonder, is it signs of early onset dementia? Dementia does run in my family, multiple family members have had it already and it is one of the reasons why I don't want to let myself get too old before I decide to check out of life. I don't want to become too mentally disabled to know when it is time to go, or to know how to execute a plan on leaving.

Or is it simply anxiety? I've always had issues with anxiety and I know that it can make a person think crazy things sometimes.

Or is it a mix of both anxiety and early onset dementia? How would I be able to know which is a symptom of which?

Anyway, I already have had the general idea in my head that I refuse to grow old. This is just another thing to add to the mix of awful age related diseases that I do not want to live with.

• Hugs
Reactions: Ender
C

carlee

Jan 31, 2021
I don't know the answer but I have a sibling who does this, I don't think they get the deja vu feeling though. They will also repeat the same story multiple times in a single phone convo. I know there is issues with depression, anxiety and addiction. My parents have spoken about it to me and have brought up possible dementia or maybe it's the mixing of alcohol and pills.....

N

Natty

Student
Jul 27, 2020
Honestly these all sound like symptoms of anxiety/depression/stress. The effect of stressors caused by anxiety and depression on the body can be extreme, the brain is immensely powerful. One of the scary parts of early onset dementia that isn't really documented is that you very rarely notice it yourself or are aware of it, especially as it happens.

The cases when people "discover" they have the symptoms are usually when others make an observation, almost never is it manifested as a feeling of deja-vu, at least initially.

That being said, if you have a history of it you should do what you can to take care of your brain and make sure you have a physician around who is aware of your family history and can be of assistance when needed.

not4us

not4us

Experienced
Sep 21, 2019
@PrettyNoose I hate to be the one who tells you this but... it's not the first time you posting thread asking this question.

Just messing with you lol

Yeah, I have the same problem, few days ago I was again in that situation and the person I was talking with quite angrily interrupted me saying "We have talked about it before, I won't repeat myself", and I realized it has been at least 2 times ... so kinda wake up call. It definitely gets worse with time.

Last edited:
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
There are apps where doctors will facetime you for a small fee, maybe try one of those?

http-410

http-410

nowhere
Sep 12, 2020
How exactly does this deja vu feel? Do you have this feeling only during conversations or also during other activities?

I experience similar sensations when I'm very dissociated. In this state, I find conversations especially exhausting. I'm then unable to retain information and/or forget them, even if I'm asked about it shortly after. Dissociation can (but doesn't have to) be related to anxiety.

However, since I'm not a doctor, you should get it checked out to be safe.