S

sometimesoon

Student
Jul 9, 2024
What do people think about safe suicide sites?

Somewhat like a safe injection site, it would be a place where you could be with supportive (non-judgemental) people who would make sure you do it right and in the most painless fashion.

I know this is not possible, but it's a parallel to a safe injection site. Regardless of what you do, you won't reduce all drug use, so you at least make it safe.

I think there is a parallel to suicides. Regardless of how you feel about it, it is really difficult to bring down the numbers. Now people often have really agonizing and painful exits. A safe suicide site would at least cut the pain.

I know this is just a fairy-tale story that is my head - but how do you feel about it?

Would you use a safe suicide site if the option was there - I would.

• Love
Reactions: sorrowful, vampire2002, happynot and 9 others
exitingtothevoid

exitingtothevoid

Aug 2, 2024
I like this idea a lot. It solves a lot of my fears surrounding suicide. I would die in a supportive environment, instead of alone. I wouldn't be discovered and resuscitated in the middle of my attempt. My body won't be discovered by someone who didn't choose to discover a body and will be traumatized by that, and there won't be any cleanup if my body isn't discovered quickly.

I wish this existed and I would absolutely use it if it did.

Reactions: sorrowful, dolemitedrums, myusername890 and 5 others
T

Theresnoescape

Each year feels like 10
May 29, 2024
Yep, I'd use it. I think most people who want to die would rather that, than some of the methods we're left with.

Reactions: dolemitedrums, myusername890 and sometimesoon
andreamysk

andreamysk

Student
Jun 29, 2024
The parallel is fascinating, but not entirely overlapping, since the Supervised injection sites were created precisely to minimize overdose deaths (or the risk of contracting serious infectious diseases). Unfortunately, no 'official' body would support such an initiative and one would have to rely on a clandestine network of 100% reliable people (with the risk of infiltration, etc.). Furthermore, I don't know what the legislation is like in your country of residence, but in mine, Italy, the penal code condemns "Whoever causes others to commit suicide or strengthens another's intention to commit suicide, or facilitates its execution in any way (1), is punished, if the suicide occurs, with imprisonment from five to twelve years. If the suicide does not occur, he is punished with imprisonment from one to five years, provided that the suicide attempt results in serious or very serious personal injury (2)" (1=Facilitation can also occur by failure to intervene; 2=the penalties in both cases are increased if the person who commits or attempts suicide is a minor and/or mentally ill).
So, in my country, anyone present in one of these Safe Suicide Sites would be arrested and imprisoned for (at least) 5 years and up to 12.

Reactions: sorrowful and potablewater784
S

sometimesoon

Student
Jul 9, 2024
The parallel is fascinating, but not entirely overlapping, since the Supervised injection sites were created precisely to minimize overdose deaths (or the risk of contracting serious infectious diseases). Unfortunately, no 'official' body would support such an initiative and one would have to rely on a clandestine network of 100% reliable people (with the risk of infiltration, etc.). Furthermore, I don't know what the legislation is like in your country of residence, but in mine, Italy, the penal code condemns "Whoever causes others to commit suicide or strengthens another's intention to commit suicide, or facilitates its execution in any way (1), is punished, if the suicide occurs, with imprisonment from five to twelve years. If the suicide does not occur, he is punished with imprisonment from one to five years, provided that the suicide attempt results in serious or very serious personal injury (2)" (1=Facilitation can also occur by failure to intervene; 2=the penalties in both cases are increased if the person who commits or attempts suicide is a minor and/or mentally ill).
So, in my country, anyone present in one of these Safe Suicide Sites would be arrested and imprisoned for (at least) 5 years and up to 12.
I get yeah - its a fantasy thought

Yet allowing for something safe - however that is defined - for something that currently won't change the numbers has its appeals

E

emma99

Student
Jul 31, 2024
I had friend who Over dosed and died at a House Partty and no one noticed until the morning as they just assumed he had nodded off. Having known the guy. although he never told me he was suicidal, but if he had been, then the house party was the most suportive place he could of overdosed at.

S

sometimesoon

Student
Jul 9, 2024
I had friend who Over dosed and died at a House Partty and no one noticed until the morning as they just assumed he had nodded off. Having known the guy. although he never told me he was suicidal, but if he had been, then the house party was the most suportive place he could of overdosed at.
That is a really interesting observation.

I think a lot of us would love to have a supportive person with us or to die with us if we had a chance. Look at the long list of people looking to find a CTB partner.

Yet the current way just isolates us and scares us: "We will be found out" and stopped before we get the end we want.

Personally, I think we should seek out ways to find support (like SS) and connect even on Zoom if it just makes the transition easier.

E

emma99

Student
Jul 31, 2024
That is a really interesting observation.

I think a lot of us would love to have a supportive person with us or to die with us if we had a chance. Look at the long list of people looking to find a CTB partner.

Yet the current way just isolates us and scares us: "We will be found out" and stopped before we get the end we want.

Personally, I think we should seek out ways to find support (like SS) and connect even on Zoom if it just makes the transition easier.
True, but zoom comes with its own risk.
If one person succeeds and one person fails.
depending on the laws and locations.
The one who fails could be prosecuted for inciting a suicide.

IMO its better to just keep your mouth shut and find the most hospitable environment, but each to their own.

Reactions: sometimesoon
ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
In theory, yes. In practice, no. In practice, I'd probably just get arrested along with all of the other members who are alive in this group. Pro lifers will do everything they can to keep you alive so that they can exploit you for your labor. A safe suicide site will get banned and dealt with super quickly

Reactions: opheliaoveragain and sometimesoon
Ash

Ash

What dreams may come?
Oct 4, 2021
At the end of the day, we're all just random strangers on the internet. If I'm going to put my life or death in someone else's hands, I'm going to do it somewhere that's verified and trustworthy or not at all. It's not about pro lifers and being saved. It's about predators who play with vulnerable people for kicks.

Reactions: sometimesoon and opheliaoveragain
D

dolemitedrums

Arcanist
Jun 12, 2024
I like this idea a lot. It solves a lot of my fears surrounding suicide. I would die in a supportive environment, instead of alone. I wouldn't be discovered and resuscitated in the middle of my attempt. My body won't be discovered by someone who didn't choose to discover a body and will be traumatized by that, and there won't be any cleanup if my body isn't discovered quickly.

I wish this existed and I would absolutely use it if it did.

Yep, I'd use it. I think most people who want to die would rather that, than some of the methods we're left with.

Pretty much my thoughts and position exactly.

LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
It sounds atrocious and I hate it.

/s

misatosdiary

misatosdiary

everything will be okay
Jun 28, 2024
Sup! So answering you; what if there would be a computer? I dont know if anyone has said this before but something like chat gpt but smarter (better). Fed with a lot of data about every kind of drug and does not help you suicide (because that'd be against the law, right?) but only tells you what will happen, how painful it would be, or stuff like that. A site which could guide you through any kind of intoxication error. The person who created it would be anonymous, so no one could receive any penalty. Also, if the law takes it down, it could just be reopened on the dark net or some data space and in forums like this we could have a link to it.

Reactions: andreamysk and Theresnoescape
nihilistic_dragon

nihilistic_dragon

Experienced
Aug 6, 2024
Well, yes, that would be amazing. Basically euthanasia gone public.

Reactions: Theresnoescape
andreamysk

andreamysk

Student
Jun 29, 2024
Sup! So answering you; what if there would be a computer? I dont know if anyone has said this before but something like chat gpt but smarter (better). Fed with a lot of data about every kind of drug and does not help you suicide (because that'd be against the law, right?) but only tells you what will happen, how painful it would be, or stuff like that. A site which could guide you through any kind of intoxication error. The person who created it would be anonymous, so no one could receive any penalty. Also, if the law takes it down, it could just be reopened on the dark net or some data space and in forums like this we could have a link to it.
Well, it could be like one of the many existing "AI Therapy Chat" apps (like Elomia or Wysa etc.) but aimed at accompanying you (with practical instructions and a reassuring voice) towards the last step (well, it could only be android, easier to crack, because I fear the Apple store would remove it quite quickly :-).

But it would be nice anyway, if a group of anonymous brave volunteers (humans in flesh and blood) formed a "terminal accompaniment" unit via video calls (perhaps with Telegram, or similar apps, which should guarantee the non-traceability of the participants).