catsarecool

catsarecool

Remember me for me, I need to set my spirit free
Jul 2, 2020
Hey, I recently watched Haibane Renmei and really fell in love with the aesthetic and ambience of the show. Does anyone know any similar animes that are aesthetically very mellow and pleasing and/or possibly deal with stuff like depression and existential dread?

Reactions: leiche
Zorya

Zorya

Aug 21, 2020
Hi,
Horns up, watch "KILL la KILL", you will feel better for sure.
Kind of sad is "Attack on Titan", but after watching 50+ episodes,

Reactions: catsarecool
leiche

leiche

i need a cigarette
Aug 19, 2020
if you haven't read "oyasumi punpun" manga, you may try it. me myself gonna reread it soon
you may also read "welcome to the NHK" ranobe, it deals A LOT with depression, drugs and suicidal thoughts (there is an anime adaptation though)

Last edited:
D

donquixote42

Aug 14, 2020
Welcome to the NHK / NHK にようこそ is awesome, also try Grave of the fireflies (蛍の墓)and if you feel you'd also enjoy Japanese cinema, Fireworks (花火) by Takeshi Kitano is my personal favorite - a very cathartic film. Confessions (告白)is perhaps more melodramatic, but also enjoyable.

Sinai Silence

Sinai Silence

I think I'ma die alone inside my room
Jul 6, 2020
A Silent Voice, Your Name, The Garden of Words, When Marnie was there, Erased and I want to eat your Pancreas. Are a few that I enjoyed.

VIBRITANNIA

VIBRITANNIA

lelouch. any pronouns. pfp is by pixiv id 3217872.
Aug 10, 2020
the first 4 episodes of aoi bungaku are an adaptation of dazai osamu's no longer human, and i found them incredibly sad. furuya usamaru's adaptation is also a good read.

march comes in like a lion is a good one, but i dropped it because i was more interested in other things. you might like it, though.

black lagoon is more of an action/crime anime, but it still has many depressing moments.

i like the persona profile picture, by the way.

Deleted member 17949

Deleted member 17949

Visionary
May 9, 2020
One that comes to mind is Girls' last tour. Basically deals with a lot of existential thoughts with two young girls travelling in a post apocalyptic world. The whole theme is lack of hope and learning to accept loss.