W

wanttodie12345

Jul 27, 2024
I have 10mm static rope, but it's pretty stiff and I'm finding it's difficult to tie. I managed to make a noose knot, but with any little movement the knot loosens a bit and releases tension in the loop. I don't think the knot would come fully undone, and I think the rope is strong enough to hold my weight, but I'm imagining if I tried partial, it would be very easy to loosen it with either SI or convulsions. When I was practicing knots, I was using a necktie and bathrobe tie, which resulted in tight knots that didn't loosen without some force. Is that what I'm going for? Would a different kind of rope give me a tighter knot?

Reactions: Kusogaki
No More Tears

No More Tears

I'm tired of missing the bus.
Jul 26, 2024
Most opt for the 8mm, if you go smaller, it gets more painful.

With the rope you're using, tie to something high enough, and then hang on with your hands, both feet off the ground. Kind of jerk around on it and see if the knot holds up. If it doesn't, you may need to go down to a 10 or 8 mm rope. The thicker the rope, the harder it is for a knot to hold.

I just realized you said you were using a 10mm rope. For some reason my brain read that as 12mm.🙄🙄

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: vampire2002 and wanttodie12345
W

wanttodie12345

Jul 27, 2024
Most opt for the 8mm, if you go smaller, it gets more painful.

With the rope you're using, tie to something high enough, and then hang on with your hands, both feet off the ground. Kind of jerk around on it and see if the knot holds up. If it doesn't, you may need to go down to a 10 or 8 mm rope. The thicker the rope, the harder it is for a knot to hold.

I just realized you said you were using a 10mm rope. For some reason my brain read that as 12mm.🙄🙄
It's all good :)
I started wondering if a different type of rope might be easier to knot. Tried a noose knot and a slip knot with what I have, and while the slip knot didn't seem to loosen the way the noose knot did, it still was able to loosen the loop enough that I'm concerned SI would give it just enough to allow blood flow again.
Or maybe I just need to improve my knot skills....or maybe I'm overthinking everything

Reactions: No More Tears
No More Tears

No More Tears

I'm tired of missing the bus.
Jul 26, 2024
A slipknot works just as good as a hangman's noose, and a lot less dealing with getting the rope tied. An 8mm nylon or poly rope is a good rope that will hold a knot, be sure to check the weight limit of the rope.

You can find videos on YouTube on how to make slipknots, it's hard to describe in words without pictures.

• Informative
Reactions: vampire2002
Evelyn Lane

Evelyn Lane

Hanging Expert
Aug 2, 2024
What knots were you trying to tie? Were you going for a noose knot and snuggle hitch or noose knot and bowline knot?

• Informative
Reactions: vampire2002
W

wanttodie12345

Jul 27, 2024
What knots were you trying to tie? Were you going for a noose knot and snuggle hitch or noose knot and bowline knot?
I was going for a noose knot, and then I'll try snuggle hitch for the anchor, but I didn't get past the noose knot yet.

Reactions: Evelyn Lane