L

LittleMonkey

Aug 13, 2020
What if in the future it will be possible? Imagine what horrors it might bring on an unfortunate soul whose brain will land up in a hands of deranged sadist. That brain will be revived and forced to create the worst pain possible for an unlimited amount of time. Possible technological progress both encourages and terrifies me. What about you, what do you think?

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Dr Iron Arc, Deleted member 19654, Wayfaerer and 1 other person
not4us

not4us

Experienced
Sep 21, 2019
I think all sentient life should be demolished. Hope the Sun will soon gobble us up in an instant.

• Love
Reactions: _Minsk, deleted, Sorrygoodbye and 3 others
BipolarGuy

BipolarGuy

Enlightened
Aug 6, 2020
This is a good question.
I've always wondered why 'they' don't just work on a cure for death, rather than individual cures for each illness.
This seems to be the best and most logical option.
Death is just a symptom of an illness, and death is an evolutionary way of dealing with illness - kind of like how you heat up if you have a virus.
If every scientist coordinated their efforts to find a cure for death, every illness in the universe would be cured too.
But big pharma is covering it up, as well as the freemasons. But luckily NHS spies are now learning of this corporate greed and have called a series of very long breakfast meetings in order to discuss.

• Love
Reactions: mediocre and mahakaliSS_MahaDurga
Xocoyotziin

Xocoyotziin

Scorpion
Sep 5, 2020
I think my brain matter needs to be decayed to the point of uselessness before that happens.
Assuming we're not already brains in a jar

Wayfaerer

Wayfaerer

JFMSUF
Aug 21, 2019
To revive a brain would necessarily imply that it had died at some point. The revived brain wouldn't carry your continuity from the original, so it wouldn't be you.

Reactions: mediocre and esse_est_percipi
L

LittleMonkey

Aug 13, 2020
To revive a brain would necessarily imply that it had died at some point. The revived brain wouldn't carry your continuity from the original, so it wouldn't be you.
When you fall asleep, your consciousness sort of dies, right? But when you wake up, you are you again. So if you could take a dead brain and rebuild it exactly to the pre-death state, that person would be the same one. But maybe it does not even matter. Maybe, in the future, mankind will be able to create something as complex as our own brains, which will open a path to unimaginable horrors for A.I. (like some sadist prick with access to such technology will create an artificial person and just torture him for fun).

Wayfaerer

Wayfaerer

JFMSUF
Aug 21, 2019
When you fall asleep, your consciousness sort of dies, right? But when you wake up, you are you again. So if you could take a dead brain and rebuild it exactly to the pre-death state, that person would be the same one.

Then what happens when you have an exact replica of a brain with an already existing one? It'll be a clone but it wouldn't be you. We aren't fully unconscious in sleep but what happens when one is legally brain dead and comes back to life I have no clue. Continuity isn't as clear-cut as we'd like to think.

But maybe it does not even matter. Maybe, in the future, mankind will be able to create something as complex as our own brains, which will open a path to unimaginable horrors for A.I. (like some sadist prick with access to such technology will create an artificial person and just torture him for fun).

I can think of even more horrific possibilities a la "I have no mouth and I must scream." Heaven and hell may not be so figurative in the future.

Last edited:
Lilacmoon

Lilacmoon

Beautiful moon, take me away.
Sep 23, 2020
no pls. Do I need a DNR order for my brain post death too :(

Lupgevif

Lupgevif

Jul 23, 2020
Brain cells start dying as soon as they stop receiving oxygen, and new ones aren't born naturally. We should at least become able to create new cells artificially before being able to revive an entire brain; and as it has been already said in this thread, new neurons would imply a new brain, so the personality and memories of the person to whom that brain belonged to would become pretty distorted, if not completely extinguished.

Reactions: Skathon