N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Maybe I am nitpicking but I don't think this is a really helpful advice. There is an Eminem song where he says to his insane fan "if you could just relax a little." I think this is quite an euphemism. I think many people know they rather should relax in some situations. Just the phrase relax a little is not really helpful. The people probably don't really have a better advice and one should not judge them.
But I think there are more helpful advices. Like in my case try to find the right medication in order not to get manic/psychotic. Just trying to relax a little is not sufficient. If someone is mentally fucked like me they need prescribed drugs.

Reactions: pikku.tiikeri and Achlys
Achlys

Achlys

So tired...
Apr 23, 2022
You are certainly not nit-picking. Perhaps there are those this advice helps, but I doubt such people have to deal with anything beyond superficial issues.

Such advice may suit a stressed out student preparing for final exams, not one who is mentally ill or one plagued with a physical ailment or chronic disease.

Reactions: pikku.tiikeri and WorthlessTrash
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
I actually think pointing toward active and deep relaxation can be very good advice. Probably even better than the standard food/meditation/exercise/etc, since it can be done on the spot. Should perhaps be followed by an actual technique, in case the person hasn't learned how to get into a relaxed state.

Google said meditation might ease some distress from psychotic stuff, schizophrenia or sum. Assuming relaxation would have a similar effect. Feels like it wouldn't hurt to be calmer when having psychosis. Not a replacement for meds, but I guess everyone would assume you'd already be taking pills for serious psychological conditions. As I see it, psychology/brain science is in its humorism/we'llsuccthebloodbrotrustme-stage, so it makes sense to throw everything and the sink at mental problems in general, and not hope for the pros to get everything right by themselves. Not a doctor, though, barely got through kindergarten (bad at cutting circles with scissors, they made me practice at home).

• Yay!
Reactions: pikku.tiikeri and Oblivion Access
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I think that if someone told me to relax, it would have the opposite affect, it would make me feel much less relaxed. I do not think that is really advice, it is just meaningless words. Telling someone to relax does nothing to improve their situation or make them feel better.

• Hugs
Reactions: Superdeterminist and pikku.tiikeri