DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
A while ago a user posted a thread asking: How do you justify moral relativism, if you hold that position?

I try to see things from many perspectives.
If it were not for competition and selfishness, life would never have advanced beyond pond-scum.
Wasps that have evolved to cannibalize their "littermates" have a very different perspective from a human that can afford compassion, so it would be wrong to apply typical human morality to them.

• Love
Reactions: yellowjester, Forever Sleep and vanillamilkshakes
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Interesting. So then, are some human actions like that? If someone naturally has less empathy because they have sociopathic or psychopathic tendancies, are their crimes any less?

Are people actually blaming the wasp there though? They might hate wasps but, do they hold them individually responsible for acting the way they do? Jewel wasps are particularly 'cruel' (in human terms.) They will stun insects, drag them into a burrow, lay their eggs on them and block them in to be devoured alive by their offspring. I doubt the wasp sees it like that, they're just doing what they do. I wonder if their unfortunate victim resents them either. Perhaps not. Perhaps they just think 'oh shit' the entire ordeal.

But, I don't think people exactly judge the wasp. They judge whatever made the wasp like that. If it was chance and evolution- ok. But, if it was God- then, that's something else. Why would God come up with something that sadistic when they probably didn't need to? Photosynthesis seems a whole lot friendlier!