Greyscale

Greyscale

Sep 19, 2023
If you could, how would you regulate euthanasia?

Personally, I believe that people should be eligible for euthanasia if they met specific requirments.

The first requirement I would propose would be that the person would have to be diagnosed with a mental health disorder that is causing them immense suffering.

The second requirement would be to monitor this person, and watch them go through therapy for a single year.

After those two requirements are met, the person will be eligible to be euthanized within a few weeks.
I understand that waiting 1-2 years to finish these requirements may sound unethical, however I think it is important to give people that want to die a final chance. I feel like this concept at a "Final Chance" is also beneficial due to the fact that it has the potential to save lives, while also having the potential of not being scrutinized for wanting to die because that person took that final chance.

These two requirements should, in theory, also prevent the devaluation of human life, to some degree.

My biggest worry with euthanasian and physician-assisted suicide is that it will devalue human life. Doctors and other health care providers might begin to push euthanasia as an alternative to more treatable things, such as back pain. In theory, they would do this because they wouldn't want to spend the time, money, and resources treating the problem and instead will opt to extinguish it entirely.

Last edited:
Reactions: ogerpon
H

HaveToEndIt

Apr 13, 2023
My biggest worry with euthanasian and physician-assisted suicide is that it will devalue human life. Doctor's and other health care providers might begin to push euthanasia as an alternative to more treatable things, such as back pain. In theory, they would do this because they wouldn't want to spend the time, money, and resources treating the problem and instead will opt to extinguish it entirely.
You're right, most people here want it to be so readily available without thinking about the consequences of those who actually want to live.

Reactions: TheSource
Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
no criteria to be euthanized only that you must give 6 months notices and if your still sure you want to be euthanized then you can be

FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
Euthanasia shouldn't be restricted, all humans deserve the option to instantly free themselves from this existence, the option to cease existing in peace should be the most basic human right, allowing this would be very compassionate, it would prevent so much suffering.
It's essential for humans to have the option to instantly find safety from suffering in such a cruel and harmful existence where there is no limit as to how much one can end up being tormented, nobody is even obligated to continue existing in the first place.

In my case wishing to cease existing is simply just having awareness, I have awareness of how existence is just a horrific mistake that only death can bring relief from.
Only death comforts me and it could never be irrational feeling in such a way, as after all, nobody can be harmed by not existing, all the suffering is as a result of existence, to me suicide feels like the only rational thing to wish for.

Suicide is self care as it's suffering prevention, wanting to restrict euthanasia automatically implies that existence is a desirable state which to me it could never be.
I see it as always preferable to not exist, under no circumstances could I ever wish to decay from age in this meaningless existence and that is a perfectly valid way to feel.

Last edited:
Agon321

Agon321

I use google translate
Aug 21, 2023
I would also allow euthanasia upon reaching retirement age. From a pragmatic point of view, it may even be profitable for the state, because a dead person does not receive a pension :). Of course, a controversial option, but in my opinion ethical, because not everyone wants to live in old age.

loterius

loterius

Sep 21, 2023
If you could, how would you regulate euthanasia?

Personally, I believe that people should be eligible for euthanasia if they met specific requirments.

The first requirement I would propose would be that the person would have to be diagnosed with a mental health disorder that is causing them immense suffering.

The second requirement would be to monitor this person, and watch them go through therapy for a single year.

After those two requirements are met, the person will be eligible to be euthanized within a few weeks.
I understand that waiting 1-2 years to finish these requirements may sound unethical, however I think it is important to give people that want to die a final chance. I feel like this concept at a "Final Chance" is also beneficial due to the fact that it has the potential to save lives, while also having the potential of not being scrutinized for wanting to die because that person took that final chance.

These two requirements should, in theory, also prevent the devaluation of human life, to some degree.

My biggest worry with euthanasian and physician-assisted suicide is that it will devalue human life. Doctors and other health care providers might begin to push euthanasia as an alternative to more treatable things, such as back pain. In theory, they would do this because they wouldn't want to spend the time, money, and resources treating the problem and instead will opt to extinguish it entirely.
I would regulate it first hand and i would begin with to immediate stop this option for all people in their 70s 80s or 90s whatever who wanted euthanasia for their so called "completed" life or in case of dementia. Just scrap it both make modification in the legislation that Euthanasia is only for emergency events.

Last edited:
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
-Over 18- unless there are extenuating medical circumstances- physical or mental.

-The person should be able to show that they understand what suicide is. (Of sound mind.)

-I think there should be a 6 month waiting period in which the person is offered help. I don't think assisted dying should be contingent on them accepting that help though.

-I think it should be an independent group of people that assess people- not doctors. I think doctors would experience a conflict of interests.

-I'm not so sure these places should be government run but I think they should work in tandem with hospitals- so that those who want to donate their organs can.

-I think- wherever possible, families should be aware of the decision. That way- they are less likely to sue afterwards. They get to say goodbye properly and hopefully, they receive support. The sooner we start feeling able to talk about suicide as families and communities, the sooner it will become less taboo.

Reactions: ayb
CrazyDiamond04

CrazyDiamond04

Metal Fan- Wants to hang Under The Oak
May 8, 2023
-Over 18
-Of sound mind
-Two week waiting period
-shrimple as that