anywhere_else

anywhere_else

Floating on
Apr 30, 2023
I regret everything, always. I regret not being a better brother, a better son, a better uncle, a better friend. I regret not trying and I regret trying too hard. I regret thinking too much. I regret those silly moments that mean nothing to anyone but that keep me awake at night. I regret not recognising those small moments that might have saved me, if they ever even existed. I regret things I have no control over, like existing. I regret being ungrateful for everything.

How do I reconcile so much regret? Is it even possible to be at peace before the end? I hope so but it feels so unlikely. I don't want my CTB to be an escape but rather closure.

• Hugs
Reactions: Forever Sleep, The anhedonic one and Watlock
S

SarRy

Student
Oct 5, 2022
Regret is deadly. Perhaps, viewing regret through the frame of real consequence might be useful. There is a difference between feelings and the real effects of actions and inaction. Also, in a world of cause and effect, it might be said that all things happen as they must. A person seldom knows the consequences of their actions until well after the fact.

It seems some elderly people might be free from some of the pangs of regret simply due to the fact that the end of their lives frees them from suffering from the consequences of their actions. Wealthy people might not feel concern over their actions towards others as they can feel safe from the negative impacts it might have. Regret seems to be a learning tool or system of alarm for keeping us in good social standing and protecting us from harm.

Reactions: The anhedonic one
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
I dunno. Regret consumes me too. Unfortunately if you want to make up for your shortcomings in the roles (granting that they're true) you're going to have to remain alive.

Reactions: The anhedonic one
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I guess one could try and feel at peace knowing that soon enough they will be free from everything, this existence will finally be forgotten about and won't even be a distant memory for them. All we know will die with us, existence is impermanent after all.

The anhedonic one

The anhedonic one

Dead inside
May 20, 2023
This cruel life forces us into certain situations and creates traps for us.
These traps often cause us to act in ways beyond our control.
My life is filled mostly with regrets.
Yet, I know that many situations were beyond my control, and that I did my best wherever possible.
I do however feel extremely cheated by life in so many ways.
My death shall be a very bitter and angry one.