Regret from not doing something, or regret from doing something?

• regret from not doing something

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • regret from doing something

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • both (equally bad)

Votes: 30 51.7%

• Total voters
demuic

demuic

Life was a mistake
Sep 12, 2020
Which do you think is worse in your experience/opinion?

Regret from not doing something as in -- missing an opportunity, inaction, staying silent when you could've said something, etc that makes you think "I wish I had done something"

Regret from doing something as in -- actively making a bad choice, starting a relationship, quitting a job, etc that makes you think "I wish I hadn't done something"

Reactions: mahakaliSS_MahaDurga and Stick
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
Usually when I regret not doing something, I imagine it would have turned out far better than I have any way of knowing, and don't consider that it could also have ended up shitty.

Reactions: AnotherBrick, Sprite_Geist, Stick and 2 others
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
Oh this is a tough one but I believe that the regrets from NOT doing something are worse.

I mean, what if that relationship became toxic? You were in love for some time at least. What if that job you thought was the best, ended up sucking? You at least gave it a shot and maybe made some friends and so on.

I think we have to SEEK DISCOMFORT even though it's really hard to do it. (Trust me, I can barely apply it in my life)

Reactions: Stick and demuic
deadbeat

deadbeat

Sep 9, 2020
Regretting not doing something because I haven't done much of anything in my life.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and demuic
SuicideBoys93

SuicideBoys93

I am the lord of loneliness.
Feb 10, 2020
Easily not doing something. Typically when I do something it's not bad so I never regret doing certain things. Pretty much all the things I didn't do, I should of done.

Reactions: demuic
Wayfaerer

Wayfaerer

JFMSUF
Aug 21, 2019
Primarily doing something, one thing, which landed me here. If not for that one thing, I wouldn't be suicidal.

To a little bit lesser extent, if I had done other things during that time, I probably wouldn't have done that one regret so I feel like in a way they're on par.

Since that one regret things have been deteriorating much faster so I have even more reasons now to CTB on top of all that shit. Man, what a little wisdom could do for someone young. If I knew all that I knew now at like, age 20 or 21, my life would be 1,000,000% better.

• Hugs
Reactions: Blueman, demuic and deadbeat
Lmd

Lmd

Elementalist
Jul 12, 2020
Regret from not doing something. I prefer to live without doubts than regrets. At least if you do it you can learn something for the next time.

L I F E T O L O S E

L I F E T O L O S E

only you can stop the evil
Sep 18, 2020
i regret nothing.

Mr2005

Mr2005

Don't shoot the messenger, give me the gun
Sep 25, 2018
I regret what I didn't do. It's particularly bad because I have to face it every time I'm on here. There's no good reason why and it's pretty much killed me

• Hugs
AnotherBrick

AnotherBrick

Jun 25, 2020
I think it depends on the decision/context. I haven't done much with my life - which I regret - but I also regret the things I HAVE done, too. Good and bad can be found in both action and inaction. If I HAD to lean one way, I would say that at least inaction typically hurts you alone, versus action can bring others into the shit show. So by that reasoning, I'd say action is worse. But ultimately, we're likely fucked either way.

G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
I regret poor choices more than lack of action. With poor choices I know I fucked up. There's no room for maybe.

Reactions: Blueman and Jojo81
Lilacmoon

Lilacmoon

Beautiful moon, take me away.
Sep 23, 2020
I think it depends on the gravity of the situation, really. Sometimes inaction is worse, sometimes poor action ruins everything. It's context-oriented, at leat, that's what I think.

Thank you for the question! It was fun to think about.

Reactions: AnotherBrick and Blueman