N

nptg5

Aug 30, 2023
Over the past couple of months, I have felt very close to CTB'ing. In fact, if I had all the right supplies to do so peacefully (which seems like a huge PITA right now), I'm sure I would have done it.

However, I have also been thinking about what could possibly stop me from CTB'ing. One of the few things I can think of is volunteer work. I have actually never done any sort of volunteer work - I'm disabled (wheelchair-bound) so my options are somewhat limited, but more than that, I'm just sort of intimidated and don't even know where to begin.

Does anyone feel like they've successfully recovered, by doing volunteer work?

• Love
Reactions: Aim, Heartaches, Praestat_Mori and 1 other person
Meretlein

Meretlein

Feb 15, 2019
I don't think anyone recovers from doing one thing however the sense of purpose you get is nice.

• Love
Reactions: Heartaches, SMmetalhead36, AshClouds and 6 others
carac

carac

"and if this is the end, i am glad i met you."
May 27, 2023
I would definitely recommend looking into this. I used to volunteer for years with a kids board game group at the Library, it was a pretty sweet deal, I just used to help set up and clear away but generally just play games with the kids and other volunteers. Then Covid came and it closed and never reopened, I lost one of the only things that was keeping me going....
A few months back I just forced myself to get out and find anything, after several applications I found a place at a local church helping with a dinner club for old people. Honestly it wasn't what I wanted, old people arent all that exciting and the work seemed boring and I'm not even religious I just needed something. Since I've been doing it it's been pretty great. It's not perfect, the old people can be challenging, most are hard of hearing and you need to be patient but just seeing how they cope with all their challenges with a smile on their face is really inspiring. The work isn't that interesting, it's mainly just making tea and coffee and serving/clearing and their are periods where you are doing nothing but it can be very rewarding to feel like you are contributing to something. All the other volunteers are older than me but they are very friendly and welcoming and I really feel like I'm part of a community, I even get a free meal, I don't need it but they would be offended if I didnt take it.

I guess I'm just saying give it a try, you might have to force yourself a bit or move out of your comfort zone but it could be worth it

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Heartaches, bebebeep, jackpotwinandmesafe and 6 others
N

nptg5

Aug 30, 2023
I would definitely recommend looking into this. I used to volunteer for years with a kids board game group at the Library, it was a pretty sweet deal, I just used to help set up and clear away but generally just play games with the kids and other volunteers. Then Covid came and it closed and never reopened, I lost one of the only things that was keeping me going....
A few months back I just forced myself to get out and find anything, after several applications I found a place at a local church helping with a dinner club for old people. Honestly it wasn't what I wanted, old people arent all that exciting and the work seemed boring and I'm not even religious I just needed something. Since I've been doing it it's been pretty great. It's not perfect, the old people can be challenging, most are hard of hearing and you need to be patient but just seeing how they cope with all their challenges with a smile on their face is really inspiring. The work isn't that interesting, it's mainly just making tea and coffee and serving/clearing and their are periods where you are doing nothing but it can be very rewarding to feel like you are contributing to something. All the other volunteers are older than me but they are very friendly and welcoming and I really feel like I'm part of a community, I even get a free meal, I don't need it but they would be offended if I didnt take it.

I guess I'm just saying give it a try, you might have to force yourself a bit or move out of your comfort zone but it could be worth it
Thank you! This is really nice, and very helpful.

• Hugs
Reactions: carac
AllCatsAreGrey

AllCatsAreGrey

they/he
Sep 27, 2023
Over the past couple of months, I have felt very close to CTB'ing. In fact, if I had all the right supplies to do so peacefully (which seems like a huge PITA right now), I'm sure I would have done it.

However, I have also been thinking about what could possibly stop me from CTB'ing. One of the few things I can think of is volunteer work. I have actually never done any sort of volunteer work - I'm disabled (wheelchair-bound) so my options are somewhat limited, but more than that, I'm just sort of intimidated and don't even know where to begin.

I think this is a great insight OP. In my life volunteer work has been a big source of vital inspiration for me. I draw a lot of personal value in relation to how I'm helpful to others. I've done volunteer work in a lot of ways that I've enjoyed. A big one for me is library work. I can't say that doing this has been a magic bullet in my recovery (still on SaSu afterall), but it has been a great place of helping others and developing my internal sense of value.

What sort of things are interesting to you? What special skills do you have that you feel others would benefit from? Are there groups that have helped you in the past that you'd like to help now?

I

ifeelsobad

Experienced
Aug 23, 2022
I don't think it helps that much but it does help a little for some time.

Same I did a lot before covid like so so much things. But I don't think it made me not depressed at all I don't think it helped in that way. I think I felt happy sometimes when I volunteered but not that much that I didn't feel depressed anymore

G

Gleysson

Hey, you. You're finally awake
Oct 10, 2023

Hey! It's not actually volunteer, but I work on public healthcare. Our overall population is severely empoverished and access to health, and interested healthcare workers, is really hard to come by. Usually, those who work in this area didn't get the dream job they wanted in the private sector. And more often than not, poor people are seen as lesser, so not worth the while. Treat them to shut them up and not get a lawsuit.

When I graduated, I started working in public ER/urgent care. I found my calling.

I'm a very privileged person. Born into a very comfortable life, raised in a bubble apart from the actual truth the world lives in. When I decided I wanted to get into medicine, I knew I needed to have a more down to earth understanding of life. And it was kinda shocking. I had family history on suicide and mental ilness. Also came in contact with a childhood trauma that fucked me up. So I attempted in 2021, luckily, I failed.

All throughout med school I saw more of this shocking reality. So now, I feel like it's my duty to pass on the knowledge I was privileged enough to receive.

So I work, and I bring to others what they didn't have. And I've yet to see a patient get out of the room without a smile and a thank you. Even in my bad days, when I don't have the energy to talk too much and explain everything, just being there and actually listening to the people who are rarely heard is a nice thing.

I call this altruistic selfishness. Of course I care deeply for my patients and always want to be there for them. But there's also personal gain. I feel worthy.

So, for me, working to actually make a difference, not to a society, but to individuals, is more than enough to go by. But of course, having other positive things are necessary. Maybe friends, maybe pets, a romance, family, hobbies or anything that brings you joy is also important.

Find your privilege, whatever it may be. We all have one. Knowledge of pain can be a privilege when you use it to understand and empathise with one who is in lots of pain. Use it to bring others what you've learned.

Hope it helps. If you want to chat more, I'm available.

• Hugs
Reactions: Heartaches, bebebeep and nptg5
H

hopelesswanderer

Oct 12, 2023

Like others have said, I don't consider myself to be recovered (far from it in fact), but I will say that the only times I am not thinking about CTB as a means of ending the pain and suffering of life is when I am in service of others. I volunteer in a couple different programs one of which is a weekly time commitment and I've found that at least gives me something to look forward to, distracts me for a couple hours, and the hangover (for lack of a better word) is nice. I feel like I have some sense of purpose and life isn't a total waste. Unfortunately it's like any drug and it is very short lived.

Reactions: bebebeep, carac and Shiva_Story
N

nptg5

Aug 30, 2023
Thank you... your whole post is really helpful. But this stood out to me:
Find your privilege, whatever it may be. We all have one. Knowledge of pain can be a privilege when you use it to understand and empathise with one who is in lots of pain. Use it to bring others what you've learned.

I had never considered that before... it's definitely something I will spend a lot more time thinking about.

• Love
Reactions: Gleysson
G

Gleysson

Hey, you. You're finally awake
Oct 10, 2023
Thank you... your whole post is really helpful. But this stood out to me:

I had never considered that before... it's definitely something I will spend a lot more time thinking about.
I'm glad. It's really fulfilling to help those who need.

Just beware the addiction. Sometimes taking care of others becomes so important we forget to live out lives a bit. Of course, if things are very rough now, then work can be your crutch for now. But also leave some space for you

Tesha

Tesha

Life too shall pass
May 31, 2020
I'm not going to claim recovery, because I'm far from it, but due to my MH, I can't really do my full time job at the moment.

Instead, to fill my time, I'm part of a service user group for a University - helping their psychology doctorate students develop their thesis and test their research methods. It's all done online, so might be something you could consider that doesn't involve any travel.

S

Sleepycat

Mar 31, 2023
Check churches. Google food banks. Some will have wheelchair accessible spaces and work you can do to help. I worked at one that portioned dog and cat food for the homeless people's pets. Big sibling programs or tutoring my be an option also depending on your personality type in public.

hi-okbye

hi-okbye

7.7.2023<3
May 5, 2023
hii!
so I actually have tried this. I was really depressed so I decided one day to go to my local shelter (fortunately mine had a lot of cats) and asked to volunteer. they were supper glad to take me so I did it. it's supper fun. even if im sad, going in there and just helping with the cats and looking at the babies and feeding the older ones and just helping them usually really improves my mood, at least for a bit of time. a lot of local shelters also need funding so sometimes i help with funding projects and it gives me purpose. plus i find cats super adorible and i've considered adopting some of them recently especially since my shelter had ben overflooded recently. even if you don't like animals or cats specifically, i'm sure there's other options for volunteer. i feel like even in a wheelchair, theres still a lot you can help out with when it comes to helping the animals. a lot of them are a bit feral and not used to humans, so you can even just go in there just to sit there, and throw treats for them. that's what i do sometimes. good luck!

• Love
Reactions: nptg5, AllCatsAreGrey and carac
carac

carac

"and if this is the end, i am glad i met you."
May 27, 2023
hii!
so I actually have tried this. I was really depressed so I decided one day to go to my local shelter (fortunately mine had a lot of cats) and asked to volunteer. they were supper glad to take me so I did it. it's supper fun. even if im sad, going in there and just helping with the cats and looking at the babies and feeding the older ones and just helping them usually really improves my mood, at least for a bit of time. a lot of local shelters also need funding so sometimes i help with funding projects and it gives me purpose. plus i find cats super adorible and i've considered adopting some of them recently especially since my shelter had ben overflooded recently. even if you don't like animals or cats specifically, i'm sure there's other options for volunteer. i feel like even in a wheelchair, theres still a lot you can help out with when it comes to helping the animals. a lot of them are a bit feral and not used to humans, so you can even just go in there just to sit there, and throw treats for them. that's what i do sometimes. good luck!
That sounds amazing, I would love to volunteer working with animals but there isn't really any local oppurtunities for that where I am

hi-okbye

hi-okbye

7.7.2023<3
May 5, 2023
That sounds amazing, I would love to volunteer working with animals but there isn't really any local oppurtunities for that where I am
aw :( maybe check again online because i know a lot of cities actually require for there to be some type of shelter for stray animals when they get picked up. you could also try just with the wild animals near where you live. When I was too young to volunteer I used to do research on what to give certain wild animals in my area. Then I would leave out food and just sit around for hours and watch birds eat from the plate I made them. Or splash around in the water baths I gave them. Food is also a really good way to make friends with even wild animals in your area. I used to go by the beach every day and feed the seagulls some fish I had. several times i've actually had them follow me home it was really cool. good luck! :)

N

nptg5

Aug 30, 2023
hii!
This is nice, I had not thought of animal shelters... thank you!

L

lionetta12

Just a random person
Aug 5, 2022

Haven't really been on the forum in the past 6ish months. Been busy trying to recover and I've done volunteering and worked on helping other people I know who need help. Makes me feel better to help others and to feel that I have a purpose and a visable positive impact on people who struggle, by helping them make life a little easier.

Reactions: nptg5
HollowDrop

HollowDrop

ah
Oct 4, 2023
I volunteer at a thing and I do feel like the new social connections and experiences has helped me feel better about myself even if just a bit. It also helps give some weekly routine if you don't have much else going on. Routines are what make a healthier lifestyle, physically and mentally.
This is only if the volunteer work actually is nice and works for you. If it burns you out, it's better to recognize that immediately.

Reactions: nptg5 and carac
peace_van

peace_van

My time stops now.
Sep 9, 2023
Volunteer work does benefit mental conditions, but I think after doing that for a while I would be worrying about my finance...
Still I need a paid job to sustain myself...

Reactions: Heartaches
Wistful

Wistful

Nov 15, 2023
I used to volunteer, it helped me a lot especially since I was surrounded by cats all the time but don't do it as much anymore.

• Love
Reactions: Heartaches
Heartaches

Heartaches

Apologizing for my life and ever entering yours
May 6, 2021
I'd definitely give it a try, doing volunteer job and helping in community-based events has helped me a lot to create new relationships and grow as a person. However, like everything it has its setbacks, such as exhaustion, disagreements, burnout and other things. The key is to maintain balance, don't put all your eggs in one basket, give yourself time for hobbies and other things. Good communication and finding people who are willing to talk/you can rely on in case of any problems arising are very important in volunteering.

I wouldn't say it has made my CBT tendencies go completely but it has helped have a better supportive friendships and look at the world in a different way.

One last thing, I wanna clarify that I'm saying this as an able-bodied person, so I don't know how it would go for wheelchair users. I would ask the organization, collective or group you want to work with if they have any protocols, accomodations or are willing to do arrangements for disabled folks (such as transportation, language, topic sensitivity, if the place has ramps or other things for wheelchair-accesibility, etc.). Hope everything goes well for you and helps you out mentally​

Reactions: nptg5 and peace_van