S

spinningship

Student
Dec 20, 2022
I spoke to someone for a couple hours online I hadn't reached out to in forever. I've realized in the past few months how my ego has gotten in the way of really trying to understand
and validate others thoughts. I made a real effort to try to overcome my normal style of conversation and connect and we had a really good conversation and opened up a lot.
It's such a small thing to most but i've lately been feeling like my autism will stop me ever getting anywhere with anyone and it's nice to see that I can try and work on myself.
Even if i'm just making one person feel better at least i'm something other than a burden.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: chloramine, rationaltake, Looking and 5 others
SectOfValtiel

SectOfValtiel

Attendant of God
Nov 7, 2022
not small at all, thats a huge accomplishment and i hope you treat it like one
think of it this way... some people *never* take the time for introspection, never realize their actions or words can cause damage, never try to be better
you did and thats worth a lot imo

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: chloramine, rationaltake, Looking and 1 other person
A

aloneinwinter

Dec 15, 2022
I'm so glad I read your post. I think I have let my ego get in the way more than I realized until now.

Anyway, that's a huge step. I too reconnected with a friend recently who I had cut off when I was more depressed and suicidal. I am so glad that I did for many reasons. Even though I don't have autism, I can relate to feeling like ego gets in the way of connections. I'm going to make a more concerted effort to check on my ego when I think about someone.

• Hugs
  • Love
LookingOverTheEdge

LookingOverTheEdge

Hello Darkness my old friend
Jul 13, 2020
You should be proud of yourself friend. It takes a lot to be constructively critical of yourself and make positive changes. I hope that it helps you to feel even a little better as well.

I don't know you, but I'm proud of you.

• Hugs
  • Love
Looking

Looking

Looking for the answer.
Jan 16, 2023
Honestly, that's a huge step! Everyone else has already said it better than I could've.

I think I've let my ego get in the way of making true and close friendships as well. I think it stems from my anxiety of not feeling like I'm worth it or that I'm a burden - but recently I've tried being more open with the people I care for, and it's honestly been kinda nice.

Reactions: chloramine and rationaltake