OceanBlue

OceanBlue

Feminist
Jun 13, 2021
Recommend your favourite Movies/Books with existential nihilism, antinatalism themes, even if just partially; these are often not mainstream, not as popular, and harder to find. I'm looking for hidden gems.

Preferably from authors who are child-free, as natalists lack awareness. I'm tired of authors who write about the meaninglessness of life and suffering in the world and then go and pass it on to someone else. So not (like) Camus.

Thank you.

Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime, BottomlessPit, grungeCat and 1 other person
Seiba

Seiba

Arcanist
Jun 13, 2021
Here's a scene people on forum might like.

Forgot to say name of the movie, english title is the devil, probably. French name Le Diable probablement -- you can find english subs online.

Reactions: ncmxm, TooConscious and OceanBlue
B

Ballehert

Jun 15, 2021
The Open Conspiracy by H. G. Wells

It's not about existencial nihilism nor antinatalism, but it gives you a glimpse of how the future of mankind will be transformed, and not in a good way.

Reactions: _r1a and OceanBlue
salonfilosoof

salonfilosoof

Apr 12, 2021
I'm not sure if this movie qualifies as "existential nihilism", but I would recommend "Enter The Void"...

Reactions: UseItOrLoseIt, stygal and TooConscious
T

TooConscious

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2020
I'm not sure if this movie qualifies as "existential nihilism", but I would recommend "Enter The Void"...

I agree buddy Gasper Noe is one of the most important people in the business all his 5 big movies show the human condition at its worst.

M

Myownbestfriend

Jan 31, 2021
A clip from the movie "First Reformed" while far from being a hidden gem, is worth watching.

Reactions: Mistake of Nature
Kattt

Kattt

Ancient of Mu-Mu
May 18, 2021
American Psycho by Brett Easton Ellis
(pls avoid the movie)
It was actually nominated to be included in the GED syllabus. Not for the subject6 matter but because it so beautifully encompasses the psychotic mindset

Reactions: UseItOrLoseIt and stygal
T

TooConscious

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2020
Seventh Seal 1957 is gold.
I wish I'd have watched it when I was young, it's such a brilliant lecture.

Reactions: Mistake of Nature
ncmxm

ncmxm

Experienced
Jun 9, 2021
Here's a scene people on forum might like.

Forgot to say name of the movie, english title is the devil, probably. French name Le Diable probablement -- you can find english subs online.

Thank you so much for recommending it, I watched it because this scene got me interested in it and it was great

Do you by any chance know any other similar movies?

Seiba

Seiba

Arcanist
Jun 13, 2021
Thank you so much for recommending it, I watched it because this scene got me interested in it and it was great

No, sorry I'm really lazy when it comes to watching movies. I'll get back to you if I find any though!

stygal

stygal

low-wage worker
Oct 29, 2020
I loved reading "I'm thinking of ending things" - it's a relatively short/eye-opening and interesting story.

K

Ken Ough

Jan 28, 2021
"Un homme qui dort" and "Le feu follet" are probably the most similar in terms of theme, pacing and decades (60s-70s France).
"Oslo, 31. august" is the modern Norwegian rendition of the latter.
Though not similar, but Kiyoshi Kurosawa's "Bright Future" (my favorite) and "License to Live" are both very good films about the futility of life for young people.

Reactions: Seiba
UseItOrLoseIt

UseItOrLoseIt

1O'8
Dec 4, 2020
(pls avoid the movie)
It was actually nominated to be included in the GED syllabus. Not for the subject6 matter but because it so beautifully encompasses the psychotic mindset
I liked you comment. I agree. It encompasses a psychotic mind perfectly. So much so I felt sick reading it. Not just because of the gruesome murder scenes, but the tedious, forced repetition. Even the bussines card rants made me anxious. I would almost call it a stream-of-consciousness novel.
Murakami is a bit existentialist I would say. Among other things. Kafka on the Shore is nice.
Last but not least - Under the Volcano by Malcolm Lowry. One of the most underrated novels ever. You want a feeling of intense existential crisis - you read this novel. It's a challenge at first. Very long and meandering sentences. But once you get the flow of it it's a wild ride.

Alwaysbadtime

Alwaysbadtime

Enlightened
Jun 28, 2021
(pls avoid the movie)
What is wrong with the movie in your opinion?

clown_17

clown_17

Almost gone, it almost worked
Oct 24, 2020
I watched this a while ago so I can't remember it well but I remember The Butterfly Effect was kinda about nihilism

Seiba

Seiba

Arcanist
Jun 13, 2021
"Un homme qui dort" and "Le feu follet" are probably the most similar in terms of theme, pacing and decades (60s-70s France).
"Oslo, 31. august" is the modern Norwegian rendition of the latter.
Though not similar, but Kiyoshi Kurosawa's "Bright Future" (my favorite) and "License to Live" are both very good films about the futility of life for young people.
Not that poster but thanks for posting. I downloaded bright future and going to get oslo, 31 as well to check them out.

Reactions: Ken Ough