777puppy777

777puppy777

Scizoaffective, CPTSD
Aug 21, 2024
Idk if this is a good coping mechanism but I see dissociation as a good tool to get away from stress. I mean come on….if we're being honest how am I gonna escape stress I HAVE to deal with in order to survive. And it feels wonderful when I do. Like I'm a cool cold pool and I'm safe.

But I've also been learning when to ground. Like dissociating can sometimes be bad for me when I do it at the *wrong* times. Like grocery shopping-if I dissociate when doing that up there my mind freaks out at all the noises and my intrusive thoughts act up. So I ground by calling a friend to be on the phone with.

I thought I might share this because it could be useful for some people to do so. I'm glad I've found this method. Maybe one day I'll find a healthier coping mechanism from dissociating but for now I see it as a way to experience sort of a *meditative state.*

I'm still learning what else is on the list of coping mechanisms to deal with voices, intrusive thoughts, etc, etc. But so far I've got some things covered that I was seriously having trouble with that had me feel very down and close to ending it all.

• Informative
Reactions: atdusk, Sabitsuki and Voyage
Grumble

Grumble

Deep Breaths
Aug 25, 2018
I would differentiate between "coping mechanism" and "survival mechanism".

Grounding is a coping mechanism. Dissociation is a survival mechanism.

Technically, they're both coping mechanisms, but for purposes of mental health, I think they're best separated from each other.

Grounding will always be healthy as a technique.

Dissociation can be addictive, disruptive, and enabling of that spiral of despair. However, if this is what it takes to survive, then "do what you gotta do." Use it to survive the worst until the healthier techniques become more reliable for you.

Reactions: 777puppy777
777puppy777

777puppy777

Scizoaffective, CPTSD
Aug 21, 2024
I would differentiate between "coping mechanism" and "survival mechanism".

Grounding is a coping mechanism. Dissociation is a survival mechanism.

Technically, they're both coping mechanisms, but for purposes of mental health, I think they're best separated from each other.

Grounding will always be healthy as a technique.

Dissociation can be addictive, disruptive, and enabling of that spiral of despair. However, if this is what it takes to survive, then "do what you gotta do." Use it to survive the worst until the healthier techniques become more reliable for you.
I completely agree with what you're saying. Unfortunately I have to deal with some horrible things at the moment so until everything stabilizes I can resort to that. I do acknowledge it can be bad though, but seeing it in a positive light like my mind/body is trying to protect me makes it much less annoying/scary.

• Hugs
Reactions: Grumble
Grumble

Grumble

Deep Breaths
Aug 25, 2018
I completely agree with what you're saying. Unfortunately I have to deal with some horrible things at the moment so until everything stabilizes I can resort to that. I do acknowledge it can be bad though, but seeing it in a positive light like my mind/body is trying to protect me makes it much less annoying/scary.
Right now, dissociation is my go-to method just to get through the day, so trust me, I totally get this! Stay strong!!

• Hugs
Reactions: 777puppy777