idontwanttobeme

idontwanttobeme

Feb 1, 2021
sorry if i do this all wrong and if my story is a mess but i'm pretty new here and this is my first thread.

but i'm truly wondering if anyone knows what a "normal" or most common reaction from therapists/psychologists etc is when you tell them you are suicidal..?

i told one of my therapists a few weeks ago, after i told my best friend, and she wanted to help me tell my therapists. so yesterday we told both my therapists that i am suicidal and that i do have plans, just not sure about the method or date yet but also told them that i feel like i'm going insane and that when i feel really suicidal idc much anymore about the date or method or consequences, i just want and need to die. and i'm slowly but surely reaching that point to when the moment comes i truly can't go on anymore and i will just end my life asap. my therapists did offer me some help like they can ask someone else with the right/more expertise to help me with this. but my friend told them they should focus on my crisis rn and not on my therapy treatment in general. so now we just have a new appointment next week and they will tell my main therapist/psychogist (who i havent met yet cause she's new) and ask a psychiatrist to make an appointment with me. eventho i don't want a new appointment or even more people to be bothered by me. and it's my own fault cause i said i don't want help and i don't wanna be saved or anything. but now i also feel like they don't care and/or don't take me serious, cause they don't even treat it as a crisis or anything. like they don't even try to stop me or help me not give in or whatever.. so iguess they don't care if i would kill myself one of these days. and my friend is so scared to lose me, but my therapists didn't even reassure her that they will at least try to keep me safe or whatever. so i'm wondering if this is normal. cause i feel like other people do get hospitalized or at least kept safe somehow and with me they just don't care..

it's okay if no one reads this or replies or anything.. i'm sorry for my whole rant but i just feel like nobody fucking cares

• Hugs
Reactions: lobster salad
EmbraceOfTheVoid

EmbraceOfTheVoid

Part Time NEET - Full Time Suicidal
Mar 29, 2020
Therapists are required by law to involuntary hospitalize you if you tell them you are suicidal and have a plan to commit suicide. I'd personally consider yourself lucky that you didn't end up in a psychiatric prison because you're treated as subhuman when you're in one and they don't help address the issues that make you suicidal in the first place'; they generally just add to your problems.

Tossing you into a psychiatric ward isn't a sign that they care, it's something they are required to do by law to protect their license and wallet so they aren't held liable, I don't know your therapist or the reasoning behind why she didn't send you to one but it's a more humane approach from her to try to help you in the moment instead of throwing you into a box like a inanimate object and washing her hands of you. Therapists who involuntary hospitalize people are the ones that care the least, that's just my two cents.

Last edited:
Reactions: myopybyproxy, booray and Symbiote
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
It depends on the way you see it but in my case, I think you were lucky.
After my failed attempt, I made a big mistake: I was 100% honest with my shrink and therapist. Once they heard my words, they only wanted to send me to a psych ward but my dad "saved" me and instead, I became a prisoner in my parents' house for half a year.

Yes, I had to lie 6 months so as to be free again.

My experience has taught me that therapists either never help you or just want to send you to a psych ward. I don't understand how these people can be called professionals.

Members from SS are my best therapists.

Reactions: brokenwaves and Symbiote
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
Therapists are required by law to involuntary hospitalize you if you tell them you are suicidal and have a plan to commit suicide.
my therapist and psychiatrist know and my psychiatrist knows im also a physical danger to myself and others. havent been sectioned once. the laws are probably different in different parts of the world

Reactions: LittleBabyNothing
LittleBabyNothing

LittleBabyNothing

Suffering Autointoxification
Nov 22, 2020
i openly discuss my intent to end my life with my therapist, not been sectioned yet nor will i be, they know i have full capacity. Only asked to consider voluntary inpatient

idontwanttobeme

idontwanttobeme

Feb 1, 2021
thank you all for your replies and sharing your experiences. i'm really sorry (if) you had such a negative experience with being saved or kept safe. i don't want to get locked up either and i am lucky they didn't involuntary lock me up. but they didn't offer it to me either. i just know so many people who were helped with staying safe and i wondered what was normal or what usually happens, by law or not. some people i know were put into the psych ward of the hospital to stay safe or a clinic for treatment something. even for a few days/weeks until they felt more secure and safe by themselves, even voluntarily. idk what i exactly wanted or expected but i just wanted them to show they care iguess.. and everything about my situation now just makes me feel like people don't even want to try to keep me safe, they are not scared to lose me and it wouldn't matter if i died. but i get it cause i don't matter now i'm alive either

◄✵火✵〇°Ø•WÅR•Ī°〇✵火✵►

Student
Feb 22, 2021
This could be a possibility but maybe your therapists saw you as a lost cause and they want to avoid liability. I'm saying this because, like lawyers, sometimes psychatrists etc choose their clients/patients based on the level of chances they could be helped in some way. This is, in the case that they aren't required by the laws in your country to compulsively help you, treat you or deal with your case. It may be that they saw you as a hopeless cause (sorry for the term, just trying to describe what I think might be going on) and don't want to get too involved because it would tarnish their career in some way or they see it as a waste of their time and a waste of resources. Maybe they're just taking this lightly because the law allows them to or maybe they genuinely want to help but are not sure how. So, I think they won't really do anything potentially useful or clear unless you clearly voice your needs. So, you should think about it. And once you know what you want, then you can act. Also, don't take it personally, if you're not sure why they do or don't do something, just ask them. Basically, communicate or don't, it's up to you. But sometimes, when you have questions, only clear communication can clear things up. Otherwise you might end up living with unanswered questions, doubt and regret forever. That's what I think. Good luck. We're here for you.

Last edited:
idontwanttobeme

idontwanttobeme

Feb 1, 2021
This could be a possibility but maybe your therapists saw you as a lost cause and they want to avoid liability. I'm saying this because, like lawyers, sometimes psychatrists etc choose their clients/patients based on the level of chances they could be helped in some way. This is, in the case that they aren't required by the laws in your country to compulsively help you, treat you or deal with your case. It may be that they saw you as a hopeless cause (sorry for the term, just trying to describe what I think might be going on) and don't want to get too involved because it would tarnish their career in some way or they see it as a waste of their time and a waste of resources. Maybe they're just taking this lightly because the law allows them to or maybe they genuinely want to help but are not sure how. So, I think they won't really do anything potentially useful or clear unless you clearly voice your needs. So, you should think about it. And once you know what you want, then you can act. Also, don't take it personally, if you're not sure why they do or don't do something, just ask them. Basically, communicate or don't, it's up to you. But sometimes, when you have questions, only clear communication can clear things up. Otherwise you might end up living with unanswered questions, doubt and regret forever. That's what I think. Good luck. We're here for you.

thank you so much, i really appreciate your answer and i will definitely think about what you said and maybe it indeed is better to just ask them than to keep wondering. thank you.

i am here for all of you too <3